March reading - is it spring yet?
last year
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (42)
- last year
- last year
Related Discussions
It's March, already! What are you reading?
Comments (136)I just finished House Rules by Jodi Picoult. She reports using information from children with autism and aspergers. Wow! she appears to have really listened to what they had to say. And their parents as well. As a pediatric nurse, I have always considered the parents of "disabled" kids as my heroes. Even more so after reading this book. I enjoyed it immensely, and didn't want to stop reading, and am definitely having book withdrawal symptoms. An added treat, was looking at language, and how we often don't hear what people are really saying. This is a large part of the theme, and my English teacher husband enjoyed the concept of what words mean...and how people use and hear them differently. What is a true statement? Carolyn, I think you should give it a try. I found it disturbing sometimes, so beware. It is hard. But it was a great look into someone else's world - for real, a different world....See MoreWhat are we reading? March 2021 Edition
Comments (107)I also loved A Town Like Alice. It’s the only novel by Shute that I have read and have been meaning to try some others so with your recommendation, Bunny, I will look for Trustee in the Toolroom. I have been taking my time reading Betty by Tiffany McDaniel. It’s a coming of age story of a girl growing up in the Appalachian foothills in Ohio but it’s full of dark, depressing events so I have been reading in small bits. I went on a college visit this weekend with my son who is graduating. It was a long road trip which ironically took me right through the area in which Betty is set. It was very stressful drive, especially when crossing the mountains, as it was pouring rain the whole time. I downloaded Big Lies in a Small Town by Diane Chamberlin to listen as I drove. It was perfect for the drive with an interesting story, albeit somewhat predictable. It held my interest and kept my mind totally preoccupied, making the weather/driving much less stressful. While I did enjoy it, it would make a good beach read but it’s not a book that I would go out of my way to recommend to friends. I’d give it 3.5 to 4 stars for its genre, which I suppose is a mystery of sorts. Edited to add, I just checked on Libby for Trustee in the Toolroom. My library has the audio version but not the kindle copy. I actually have a 4 hour road trip again tomorrow (going to get my first vaccine dose 2 hrs from home!). I’ll give the audio version a try but may look for a readable copy also (some books I prefer in print or kindle)....See MoreWhat Are You Reading? March 2024 Edition
Comments (64)I've come to the conclusion that if I fill up my life with misery, the stories consumed through novels, then..... THAT IS MY LIFE. faftris...I'm so sorry for your losses. I understand that good writing and making the reader feel emotions for the characters misery is NOT the course I would wish to set my life on either. I also do not care to hear about drug addiction, murder, racism... or a multitude of other attrocities....See MoreMarch - what are you reading?
Comments (62)Vee, I haven't read Hillbilly Elegy, but here is part of an article from Google. Hillbilly Elegy does not vilify poverty, as so many critics claim. It places some responsibility on the individual but acknowledges the generational challenges that make assuming this responsibility difficult. Vance is not the hero of the story, and Bev is not the villain. Vance’s future successes aren’t presented as a consequence of his superiority, exceptional talent, or work ethic. They are a product of his Mamaw’s intervention and his support system—all things Bev never had. Critics do not hate Hillbilly Elegy because it blames the poor for being poor or oversimplifies Appalachia. They hate Hillbilly Elegy because of their preconceived notion of Vance’s right-leaning political beliefs, which are not discussed in the movie. Sarah Jones at Vulture even criticized Vance’s politics explicitly during her movie review, portraying him as connected to the alt-right when he is a moderate conservative. From reading further in the article, it seems people liked the book but hated the movie. I'll be interested in hearing your opinion after you read it. The setting is Ohio, which I hadn't thought of as being Appalachia, but, of course, it is....See More- last year
- last year
- last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
- last year
- last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
Related Stories

SPRING GARDENINGSpring Gardens Are Waking — Here’s What to Do in March
Excitement fills the air when gardens come back to life. These guides will help you make the most of yours
Full Story
COLORColor of the Week: Spring Blossom Yellow
Tired of winter yet? Bring on spring with our featured color of the week
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESMake Sure You Read This Before Buying New Plants
Follow these 10 plant-selection tips to avoid buyer’s remorse
Full Story
HOUSEKEEPINGMarch Checklist for a Smooth-Running Home
Get a jump on spring by spiffing up surfaces, clearing clutter and getting your warm-weather clothes in shape
Full Story
MONTHLY HOME CHECKLISTSYour March Checklist for a Smooth-Running Home
Prep your home for spring by shedding its winter layers and bringing in nature and fresh colors
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDES14 Colorful Spring Containers to Cheer Up Your Porch or Garden
Fragrant hyacinths, darling daffodils, bright tulips, colorful pansies and more make the sweetest container combos yet
Full Story
HOUSEKEEPINGTo-Dos: Your March Home Checklist
It’s time to rid yourself of winter’s heaviness and set up for spring
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESLet Lilac Love Flower This Spring
Whatever you bestow or receive for Mother's Day, lilacs can be an unmatched gift in the garden in May
Full Story
COLORGreat Spring Color: Add a Pinch of Pollen Green
Sprinkle in this sprightly yellow-green hue to perk up your home interiors for spring
Full Story
MONTHLY HOME CHECKLISTSTo-Dos: Your March Home Checklist
Get ready for sunnier days, whether you have an hour or a weekend to spare
Full Story
annpanagain