How do you store butter?
last year
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (25)
Related Discussions
Harvesting and storing of seeds. How do you do it?
Comments (7)Do you have a specific seed in mind? Try the search function at the bottom of the ws front page. Ask about specific seeds and someone will share their experiences. There is also a Seed Saving forum that you can explore. Most seeds will be ready when their pods or blossoms are brown and crisp. Some are easy to collect, poppies, dianthus, malva, and balloon flower can be held over a bag or envelope then squeezed to release the seeds. Rudbeckia and echinacea seeds are difficult to find until you have had some practice. Both hold their seeds amongst the blossoms. When the blossom is dried on the plant they can be picked. The rudbeckia seeds are tiny dark rods. After awhile you will recognize the seeds. For me it was "aha, there they are" moment. I take various sized envelopes out to the garden to put the pods or blooms in then take them inside to find the seeds. For large seeds, blossoms, or large amounts of those I use a paper lunch bag. If they are not already very dry I leave them in the bag/envelope for a few days to continue to dry. Others spread the seed pods onto a paper plate to dry. Later I open the pods and collect the seeds while watching (actually listening to) the TV. The collected seeds are then put in a 2 1/4 x 3 1/2 paper coin envelope. When I am ready to trade I use either the paper coin envelope or very small plastic bead bags. I use cut down boxes with strips of cardboard cut for dividers to store my seed coin envelopes alphabetically. There are boxes for perennials, annuals, veggies, etc. Sometimes I find myself without an envelope/bagand just stuff the seeds into a pocket. LOL, that's why I have so many mystery seeds. Others have different ways. Have fun! Here is a link that might be useful: Saving seed...See MoreHow do you store your vegetaable?
Comments (25)Stir-fry is a great way to cook veggies. Less time they're cooked the better! Roasted red bell pepper soup is simple and delicious. You can make it a little more decadent with the addition of cream and cheese. This is Sharon's (Chase) from the Cooking forum: ROASTED RED PEPPER SOUP 4 red bell peppers, roasted, seeded, and peeled 2 tablespoons butter 1 red onion, chopped 2 garlic cloves, minced 4 cups chicken broth 1 lemon juice salt and pepper, to taste Saute onions and garlic in butter until soft. Add red peppers. Cook for 2 or 3 minutes. Add broth, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add lemon juice. Process in food processor until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Place back on stove until ready to serve. Source: Chase (Sharon) I make a variation of this one from epicurious. Roasted Red Bell Pepper Bisque with Shrimp and Romano Cheese...See MorePeanut butter: Can you make and store it yourself?
Comments (4)This is a tricky one. Peanut butter has a fairly good shelf life (3-6 months according to some of my food storage charts), it's the oil that separates from the nut butter that can quickly go rancid when exposed to oxygen. Refrigeration helps to keep the oil from separating quite so much, but it's actually perfectly safe to store fresh peanut butter at room temperature - especially if you plan on using it quickly. It's the separated oil and oxygen that is the cause of the oils going rancid, and why hydrogenated oils are added to commercial peanut butter - it stays suspended in the nut butter. With a quick search I haven't been able to find any real research on the subject, but that doesn't mean there isn't something out there on the subject. I do home food storage and store peanuts for making fresh peanut butter, and for long-term storage I have cans/bags/jars of commercially made powdered peanut butter (which has much of the oil removed). -Grainlady...See MoreHow do you store your supplies?
Comments (14)in the beginning, when I hadn't caught on to the idea of glass containers or other things, I was cutting off the tops of milk cartons for the shards. I probably have some still with glass in them,..somewhere. lately I have been saving the cool shaped orange juice jugs..but that's for storing home made laundry soaps. they would also make a nice, sturdy..with a handle container, for more broken dishes. now I have to start thinking in terms of many more containers. I scored a source of stained glass that had been ordered from some of the most wonderful companies, for a couple who had done a number of years of work all over the states. they had begun to liquidate their inventory, these past few months and I wasn't searching for any stained glass at that time. I was too late for the tools, saws, grinders and all that but still, after 85% of their glass was sold, I met them and instead of selling the rest..they are setting me up on a payment plan, for the rest of the glass and frames. I'm only barely getting set up on the first glass piece. they understand that I'm not knowing how to do the actual stained glass and they're quite content to know that I'm starting out with GOG and mosaics. I've made a very limited few pieces of mosaics..a few vases and that genie bottle.. they only want to see some happiness happen with their glass and it also saved them much time, expense and all the packing of shipping, when I can drive up to their existing studio, on a beautiful drive and visit, while there.. a certain win-win outcome. she gave me a hug and called me her new "fledgling" and wished me well. They were happy to have had enough supplies to help me on my way~ I don't think I even own a glass cutter, in fact~ it's only been a hammer and nippers for me, for the past 5 years..rather lame but I've been content to smash and dash... I have a window outside to choose.. per "Slow's" request..she said to .. ~~~frame the one and start on a new one..~~~ the 'new' one is drawn and now I need to choose which old frame window I'll work it on....See More
Related Stories

LIFEButter Up Your Kitchen With Julia Child's Wisdom
Your kitchen will serve you more fully and beautifully when you borrow from these keen insights
Full Story
KITCHEN STORAGEHow to Store Kitchen Tools and Flatware
Find out the ideal width and depth of drawers, get ideas for vertical storage and see how to work with existing cabinets
Full Story
KITCHEN STORAGEThe Best Things to Store on Open Kitchen Shelves
See what items should take up this vital display and storage space, and get tips for styling them
Full Story
KITCHEN STORAGE16 Ways to Store Your Herbs and Spices
From super neat and organized to surprisingly artistic, there’s a seasoning-stashing solution for everyone
Full Story
HOUSEKEEPINGChaos-Free Zone: How to Keep the Fridge Organized
Find out how to store food items by temperature and type so everything stays fresh longer
Full Story
PAINTINGShare Your Biggest Paint Color Mistake
Did a shade that looked perfect in the store turn out to be less than perfect on your walls? Let’s swap stories!
Full Story
COLORNature’s Color Wisdom: Lessons on White From the Great Outdoors
Blizzard fierce or butter soft, white can highlight shapes, unify a room and perform miracles on the cheap
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNSweet Ideas and a Truffle Recipe from a Chocolatier's Test Kitchen
A $2,100 budget didn't mean a half-baked kitchen redo; this confectioner just rolled up her sleeves and rolled out the improvements
Full Story
PRODUCT PICKSGuest Picks: Be Your Own Artisanal Chef
You may never settle for prepared foods again with these cooking tools, gadgets and storage pieces
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDES8 Inventive Ideas for Your Unused China
Is your dishware collection gathering dust at the back of your cupboard? Pull it out and let it shine with these eye-catching display ideas
Full Story

John Liu