Has anyone had a thread removed?
2 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (16)
Related Discussions
Anyone had their thyroid removed? Need to know what I am in for..
Comments (17)Hey Mini- I had thyroid surgery in late 2006. The biopsy results went on about abnormal cells, but it was enlarged enough as to be visible on one side. The surgeon had specified an out-patient surgery, but I questioned it and ended up staying overnight. I was concerned about what was going to happen, but when all was said and done, it was not so bad. I had one side of the thyroid removed during a morning surgery. They kept me on humidified air thru the night because you can suffer from a sore/dry throat. I had no problems with my voice and generally felt groggy/fuzzy. In the hospital they took blood every 2/3 hours and checked my blood pressure. I had a little trouble with side affects from the anesthesia, but other than that I was not even in pain. The doctor had made the incision low on my neck, just above the V of my collar bone. Most folks donÂt notice the scar. I was surprised that the doctor did not require me to cover the incision or even put antibiotics on it. I was self conscious of the visible staples, but strange enough, it was easily dismissed as a silver necklace and no one seemed to notice it (or they did not say anything). Once the staples were removed, I was told to keep tape on it for an additional 7 days. This was to keep from straining the newly healed area. I was surprised that I did not have any pain or discomfort. I was keenly aware of the incision and tried not to turn my head too much. Overall my imagination was far worse than the surgery. I was back to work Monday (surgery was on Friday). The thing I did learn is that when you are in the hospital, you may not get service unless you ask for it. Simple things like an additional blanket, being able to reach the call button, telephone or TV remote, getting jello or whatever, you may have to ask for it. DonÂt be shy, they are there to ensure that you are comfortable. I had read that this surgery is very very common and well practiced. DonÂt worry, you will be fine....See MoreHas anyone had experience with the Tile Shark Floor Stripper?
Comments (5)I wouldn't bet on the tile shark. It depends on how well your tile are stuck. My wife shoveled our kitchen into a wheelbarrow in several hours. I spent twice as long as that removing two tile in the bathroom with a rented electric chipping hammer that had been properly repaired. I got 'em out, but took some of the concrete sub floor with 'em. You're going to have to just dive in and experiment. It's impossible to know what's in store without a test. Just because some come flying out doesn't mean they all will, either....See MoreHas anyone had shoulder replacement surgery?
Comments (9)My sister had both of her shoulders replaced at separate times. I will ask her when I see her at lunch today. Actually, my younger sister has had both hips, both knees, and both shoulders replaced. She went to a doctor for her shoulders who has a high success rate with the surgery and outcomes with patients being able to raise their arms above their heads after surgery. He did not recommend physical therapy for his patients, explaining that people tended to over do it and that the shoulder needed to rest to mend. The only thing he had her do was VERY light movement to make sure the shoulder did not seize up. She was to open her hand, palm up, forearm extended in front of her bent at the elbow, and then close the hand into a fist a few times a day, and then do the same thing palm down. She also was to bend her elbow and pull her forearm as close to her shoulder that was entirely comfortable, hold it briefly, and repeat a few times. She had an excellent outcome....See MoreHas anyone had tile applied on wood?
Comments (0)It came up recently on another thread that some designers were saying wood would be an up and coming possible trend in backsplashes(particularly parquet as I recall). It sounds a bit crazy, and maybe just some designers trying to be different and creative, but it got me thinking. The cabin we bought had knotty pine walls in the kitchen and is the backsplash. I wouldn’t have designed it this way, but it is a 20+ year old cabin and the knotty pine seems to have held up. However, I’m hoping to remodel the small kitchen in the detached guest cottage and will be listing it as an Airbnb when not in use by our grown kids and their families. To that effect, I think a tile backsplash in this situation would be a better option as I don’t expect renters to be aware that they should baby a wood backsplash. I have a tile guy coming out to quote redoing a shower so will ask I him about this, but would love to hear if anyone else has done something like this? I was thinking that maybe you would have to attach some sort of product as a backing for the tile, maybe durarock? This will add thickness so wasn’t sure if that is an issue for some reason. Has anyone done or seen this?...See More- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years agolast modified: 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
Related Stories

KIDS’ SPACESWho Says a Dining Room Has to Be a Dining Room?
Chucking the builder’s floor plan, a family reassigns rooms to work better for their needs
Full Story
CLOSETSThe Cure for Houzz Envy: Closet Touches Anyone Can Do
These easy and inexpensive moves for more space and better organization are right in fashion
Full Story
HOUZZ TVHouzz TV: This Dream Midcentury Home in a Forest Even Has Its Own Train
Original wood ceilings, a cool layout and, yes, a quarter-scale train persuaded these homeowners to take a chance on a run-down property
Full Story
LAUNDRY ROOMSThe Cure for Houzz Envy: Laundry Room Touches Anyone Can Do
Make fluffing and folding more enjoyable by borrowing these ideas from beautifully designed laundry rooms
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESHow to Remove Wallpaper in 4 Steps
Learn the best way to remove wallpaper with only water (and elbow grease) so your next wall treatment will look great
Full Story
HOUSEKEEPINGTips for Removing Carpet Stains
Know the right solutions and when to use them to handle stains from coffee, pets, chocolate, ink and more
Full Story
WALL TREATMENTSRemovable vs. Traditional Wallcoverings: Which Is Right for You?
Read about the pros and cons — and see great examples — of wallcovering options available for your home
Full Story
REMODELING GUIDESOne Guy Found a $175,000 Comic in His Wall. What Has Your Home Hidden?
Have you found a treasure, large or small, when remodeling your house? We want to see it!
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGN6 Clever Kitchen Storage Ideas Anyone Can Use
No pantry, small kitchen, cabinet shortage ... whatever your storage or organizing dilemma, one of these ideas can help
Full Story
HOME OFFICESThe Cure for Houzz Envy: Home Office Touches Anyone Can Do
Borrow these modest design moves to make your workspace more inviting, organized and personal
Full StorySponsored
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations
annpanagain