SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ifounditlikethat

Which exterior paint colors?

ifounditlikethat
12 days ago
last modified: 12 days ago

Hi everyone! This is my first time posting here. We are planning on getting the exterior of our home painted and must choose an HOA approved color scheme.
Below are four schemes we are thinking about, but we aren't really good at picking out undertones or knowing what will look good. Do you think any of these colors will look nice? Should we keep looking?
I'm going to try to attach a couple pictures of our house and one of a tile from our roof to help. Please be patient as it may take me a while to figure out how to post them. If it makes any difference, our house faces northwest, and we are in central Arizona. Thank you for any advice you can provide.

Comments (34)

• rinked
    12 days ago

I found these on your profile, that's quite a lot of beige and brown. What colors can you chose from, could you post these?

ifounditlikethat thanked rinked
  • ifounditlikethat
    Original Author
    12 days ago

For Porchlight Scheme A3 we obviously don't have shutters, and aren't too sure we like the Maison Blanche color.

My husband is still gathering quotes from painters, so we haven't sat down with any of them to get color advice. We just want to be prepared and narrow down our options.

• rinked
    12 days ago

I'm from the Netherlands, by the way. And had no idea Arizona was that picky about colors!

Came across this dunnedwards website where they keep track of color codes. And an entire record of approved color codes. Nifty.

• ifounditlikethat
    Original Author
    12 days ago

• rinked
    12 days ago

And in your climate, a lighter body could be better for your electric bill.

• ifounditlikethat
    Original Author
    12 days ago

@rinked Thanks for your quick reply! It's not so much that Arizona is strict about colors. It just depends if you're in an HOA, and then they can decide which colors are allowed for the neighborhood. I guess it can be a good or bad thing haha.

We liked the browns because there is a house up the street that has dark browns and my family likes it quite a bit. They have a slightly different roof color I think. We are too shy to go up to them and ask which color scheme they used though.

It's so hot out here for much of the year that I feel like these colors almost seem to feel cooler, if you know what I mean. I'll try to post some of the other options tomorrow. Thank you!

• rinked
    12 days ago

Basically posting these here for myself, to see what Arizona homes look like :) Of course you already know. I didn't.

And i'd use some more contrast, so the house will look somewhat more like the second example and not the first. Though there's the personal element of taste. What do YOU prefer?

Exterior Painting · More Info

Coronado model home in Arizona · More Info

Yorktown model home in Arizona · More Info

Dominic model home in Arizona · More Info

Evolve @ Marbella Vineyards | Gilbert, AZ | 5591-Flourish Plan · More Info

Complete Model Home Design- Surprise, Arizona · More Info

Yorktown model home in Arizona · More Info

Phoenix, Arizona | Hacienda at Harvest - Hacienda Crimson Exterior · More Info

• ifounditlikethat
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Here are some of the color schemes our HOA has on their list. There are some other colors too, but a bit much to sift through. I can add more if none of these look good.

• ifounditlikethat
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Ooh I like the bottom rendering of our house you posted @rinked. I think we can also submit requests to use different colors than the HOA lists. They just have to approve them before we paint. That's a good point about dark colors and heat. I hadn't thought about that. It's something to consider.

I like the brown colors, but not sure if I want lots of contrast or not. The examples you show of homes with light trim are nice because they look crisp and clean. Yet we are also worried about too many contrasting colors that may make it look chaotic, although I suppose that would be difficult to achieve with only 3 colors or so. I'm not sure what I want haha! My husband wants the garage doors the same color as the body, and I've read on here that's what you're supposed to do.

When we moved here I liked the color of our house. It's not offensive or anything, but I suppose we are wanting a change. Just don't want to pick something that ends up looking off, or just bad with our roof color. Thanks for the help!

• rinked
    11 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

They're not that different, all in the same family, so to speak. And if it gets denied, just pick some approved ones that are close enough for the same effect?

• rinked
    11 days ago

Of course you should pick the colors you like, but here's the scheme with the colors i used.

• rinked
    11 days ago

And our daylight here is very different from yours, so i can't advise which are best. If you feel stuck (hope you're not, but full paintjobs sure are an investment), consider getting some testers and try them on similar surfaces, ie a concrete tile and some plywood, then place these somewhere outside and look at them in the morning, afternoon and evening, before deciding if it's a go or a no.

• rinked
    11 days ago

Might i add, when looking at the photo of your house with the garage doors in it, their color does go really well with the driveway. Do you know which color code that is?

• ifounditlikethat
    Original Author
    11 days ago

I showed my husband the rendering and he liked the colors as well. We may submit a request for that, as well as ask to see some samples of other color schemes. We've never had to hire a professional painter before, so I'm not sure about the whole process yet, but I think they may be able to paint some samples for us to see in different lights.

As far as what's currently on there, I'm not sure as it was here when we moved. The best guesses I can see from our HOA list are on the following photos, but none of them

really seemed to match exactly. Actually I don't think it's scheme 36. Seems darker on second thought. Unfortunately the driveway should be just plain cement gray, but I believe the creamy color reflected in the photographs were from the dust and dirt that blows through here lol. Thank you so much for your advice and taking the time to help!

• rinked
    11 days ago

Garage doors:

• ifounditlikethat
    Original Author
    11 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

I think the one you posted where the garage door matches the body looks best. I also liked the rendering you did where the bottom part was Stone Lion to match the rest of the body.

From this angle where the garage shows, the color scheme looks a bit lighter than the other renderings, but I know paint can appear different depending on position and lighting, as well as other variables. I'm not positive it'll be enough of a change from what we have, but we will see. It seems to work very well with the roof.

I'm thinking we will ask our painter for samples of the colors you posted. I remember liking some of the mid tone brown colors when we used to looky loo model homes in the past, and your photos of other homes helped remind me of them. We haven't ruled out a darker brown yet, but now we have more ideas. Thank you for your tips and helping us visualize!

• rinked
    10 days ago

Tavern Taupe would be slightly darker (and is already on one of the permitted schemes)

Not sure where the knitting needles would go though, doesn't matter

• rinked
    10 days ago

• ifounditlikethat
    Original Author
    9 days ago

Oh that's nice too, though I think I'd like Tavern Taupe on the garage more. I think I may like your Stone Lion rendering better, but I do like how the Tavern Taupe picture looks deeper. Hmm...thinking about taking colors from each rendering to mix and match. Thank you!

• ifounditlikethat
    Original Author
    9 days ago

My husband suggested this. We think it looks close to the Stone Lion you suggested, and we like the darker color for the trim. It's sort of like Tavern Taupe. The color may give us just enough change without going way too dark. Bonus that its already on their approved list.

• rinked
    9 days ago

I'd be reluctant to paint the window boxes darker than the body.

• rinked
    9 days ago

Added the colors to this image:

• rinked
    9 days ago
    last modified: 9 days ago

Example of darker boxes:

Example of darker boxes with lighter body: (my personal fav)

Example of dark body, medium dark boxes, pale frames:

Example of dark body, light boxes, dark frames:

• ifounditlikethat
    Original Author
    8 days ago

Wow, thank you for adding those images! We personally like the first one best. It looks really nice.

My husband sent the request to the HOA asking to be able to do either the Stone Lion scheme, scheme 22, or scheme 1. We need to ask for the Tavern Taupe color scheme too. The painter we decided to go with says he'll do samples once we get the approval. He's booked out until mid June though, so we have time to mull it over and change our minds lol.

We will be refrencing some of your pictures to let him know which colors we want and where.

Thank you so much for all of your help and the time you have taken to make these renderings! We both appreciate it!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    8 days ago

In your climate, I would definitely go light on making n house body and garage doors. Then a slight contrasting trim. Keep it simple. Most of these examples are somewhat dated and colirs in your sun will “wash out” and get lighter over time.

ifounditlikethat thanked Flo Mangan
  • ifounditlikethat
    Original Author
    8 days ago
    last modified: 8 days ago

@Flo Mangan I hadn't thought much about the sun fading the colors. Good point.

Our current paint is faded in several spots (dried out and in plain bad condition in general), but we figured it had more to do with a cheaper product that had probably been previously used. My husband said the painter seemed relieved that we were thinking of going darker because it would be easier to cover the old patchy looking paint.

Although we are not too concerned about current paint trends and both want a darker color than what we currently have, I will let him know of the potential problems before we move forward. Thank you very much for your help!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    8 days ago

Darker color will add heat load to your home and impact cooling bill too. Serious consideration for your location. Good exterior paint should perform very well. Painter’s opinion might be more for his convenience so I would discount it somewhat.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    8 days ago

There are man details in kitchens that must be factored in and accounted for when doing any remodeling project such don’t rush into a fix you will end up changing again or severely limiting your future options. Good luck.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    8 days ago

Another idea for an eatting area if you leave counters as is would be a drop leaf table that would sit on the long wall and lift one or both sides when needed. These come in many styles, sizes and shapes.

• ifounditlikethat
    Original Author
    8 days ago

@Flo Mangan we will definitely need to look into these things. While we want a certain look, I don't want to regret our decisions because we picked solely for looks. We haven't ruled anything out, but we will be considering both yours and rinked's advice. We have until about mid June (when our painter will be available) to decide. Thank you!

Oops, I think you meant your last 2 posts for another thread.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    8 days ago

Oops. Sorry, yes. For another dilemma!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    8 days ago

So smart to think ahead because it’s big expensive decision and you don’t want to make it “on the run”!

• ifounditlikethat
    Original Author
    8 days ago

@Flo Mangan It did seem sort of overwhelming at first. We felt rushed because we got an HOA notice to paint, and we really should have arranged meetings with potential painters sooner than we did. Since the company we are going with isn't available until so far off it gives us more time to think through our choices, and change our minds if we are inclined. Thank you again!