SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jshanson04

Cannot decide flooring type or color with vaulted wood ceiling

Jared Hanson
last month

We just bought a house that has original everything from when it was built in 1979. We're not planning on doing too much reno, just the kitchen and also flooring in the rooms that have carpet, for now. The room we want to focus on first is the living room which has vaulted wood ceilings. We absolutely do not want to paint them so that is not an option. We cannot decide on the flooring type and color. Obviously the orange carpet has to go.

It is a Spanish style home and we really like the existing tile that runs the hall around the living room, but there's no way we could find that exact tile today to use throughout the living room. So we need something that won't clash with the existing tile, and also won't clash with the wood ceiling. My wife is leaning either a lighter colored hardwood in wider boards than the ceiling boards, or larger light colored terracotta tiles. I am open to other options like terrazzo. We'll plan to have a large area rug down as well.

We are open to modifying the built in shelves or even painting the fireplace brick if absolutely necessary. We want to keep the walls white-ish.

Looking for advice on what to do with the flooring. Please help!

Other notes:

- the living room doors lead to the patio where there is a pool, so there may be wet traffic in and out

- we have a large dog that loves to go outside, so scratching on hardwood

be a concern

- This house is in the hot area of CA where temps can get to 110 in summer, and rarely gets into the 30s, so cold floors is not a huge concern, but I would be open to installing heated floors if we went the tile route.

Comments (7)