SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
milsoudorfarm

Cabinet that goes to countertop too near stove need solutions

Milsoudorfarm
last month
last modified: last month

We are in the final stages of our kitchen remodel and just discovered a major problem with the design of our range area cabinets. The designer put cabinets down to the countertop (half depth of countertop) either side of the range to create an alcove effect along Georgian style inspiration. We like this design, but I stood watching the installers put the cabinets in and started to panic about required clearances for the range. Sure enough, the "alcove" doesn't meet a single clearance from combustibles requirement of the AGA Elise range we are putting in. Does anyone have any heat shielding suggestions? Any way we can salvage this without having to have the designer redo this and get cabinets rebuilt? I believe this is entirely the fault of the designer who should have taken clearances into consideration in the design. Just don't want another month delay if there is a solution that could look good and make this design work. Thanks!
Thanks for all the comments. Was hoping there was something we could do to keep the cabinet length. On the right side it opens to full counter and as I am right handed figured it would work. I do love the down to counter look, even if it isn't entirely practical ;). I guess we will probably end up getting the side cabinets re-done to match height of others so we meet code. So frustrating when we are so close to the end of this project.

Comments (51)