SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mermanmike_gw

Mostly finished, cream cabs, cherry counters, chambers stove, DIY

mermanmike
11 years ago

Throughout my kitchen creation process, this website was truly invaluable, as so many have said. I love my kitchen...it is one of my favorite places to be in the world. And I know it wouldn't have taken shape in such a beautiful and personalized way if you all hadn't shared your expertise, opinions, and support. So, thank you.

There are many unfinished items here, but because other parts of our renovation have our attention right now, I thought it best to go ahead and post what has been accomplished. The toe kick under the dishwasher panel needs to be installed, some paint needs touching up on the walls, a piece of trim under two windows needs adding. We also plan to trim under the stove with toe kick material for a more finished look. But you know how it goes--these things will happen in time.

The cabinets are Medallion Platinum. They ran about $7,500. The finish is called White Chocolate. I ordered them through Just Cabinets, saving quite a bit of money. This is a good option for a DIY installer who doesn't need kitchen design hand holding.

The counters are cherry from Hardwood Lumber Company. They ran about $1800 unfinished. I used Waterlox to seal them. They are screwed in place in a handful of strategic places and silicone caulked on the underside.

The knobs are also cherry and at the moment I can't remember where I order them from. If anyone is looking for something similar, I can find the receipt.

The Chambers range--my favorite thing, I think--came from eBay for about $350. I had a lot of work to do to clean it up and get it ready for use. (And there are still a few more things I'd like to replace on it.) This was a gamble for me, having never cooked on one, but I adore it. The oven is wonderful, the cooktop is powerful and reliable, and it makes me smile every time I use it.

The floor is 7-inch yellow pine from a local mill and finished with oil.

The sink is Domsjo from Ikea. The dishwasher is Bosch. The fridge is Fisher and Paykel.

My dear partner built the open bottom cabinet with all the everyday dishes, microwave, and toaster over on it. It far exceeded my expectations when he was done. He was able to match the bead on the inset cabinets for a very cohesive appearance.

He also built the rolling pin holder to house my collection of old rolling pins.

The tan-painted (picture frame cream, Old Village Paints) open upper cabinet is an antique we already had. The larger open upper cabinet (Rittenhouse blue, Old Village Paints) came unfinished from Medallion with the rest of our cabinet order.

We build the surround for the fireplace from wood salvaged from this house--an 1832 Greek Revival. Our goal in the remodel was to create a kitchen that is classic, unfussy yet sophisticated, and easy to work in. We are very pleased with how things came together.

Here are some photographs to enjoy!

{{gwi:1718664}}

Comments (76)