SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
suze425

Need to be creative: Adding a front sitting area

Susan W
last month
last modified: last month

This is a relatively small part of a very big renovation and I’ll try to keep this question simple. We desperately want to add some sort of sitting area to the front of the house. We’ve wanted to do this from the beginning of our project because not only do I think it will help the aesthetic of the house, but also because we like to sit out front on occasion.

Of course in a perfect world we’d just be adding a full-blown front porch, but we had lots of other priorities (including an in-ground pool and a very large covered porch in the back) so we needed to make some tough choices. We do not want to mess with our roofline in front, so the original plans called for a pergola.

I’ve not totally abandoned the pergola idea, but I’m also considering doing something even more simple. In all candor, the project has cost so much money that I’m looking to save any place I can. (Yeah, maybe I’ve added things along the way increasing the final costs! LOL)

I’m trying to figure out what we could do or how it would look to add a sitting area/uncovered porch. I was thinking to expand the current tiny “porch” to the right under the triple window, all the way to the driveway. The driveway and current walkway are being ripped out and replaced as well, and we would then add a walkway from the road straight up to our front door.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

These are "Frankensteined" photos I used to ask a question here about placement of house numbers. It's our house, but some of the elements are cut-&-pasted in because it's still being worked on.

Comments (9)