SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tony_p57

Do vinyl windows last over the long term in Florida?

Tony P
last month

It’s time for replacement windows on my home in Florida. They currently have the original builder’s aluminum single pane jobs from 1997. I’ve been researching and have already learned much about DP ratings, AI ratings, and things like that. But I’ve wondered about whether it’s wise to consider a vinyl window option given the conditions down here.

I ask because in my previous home, in New Jersey, in 2012 I had my back porch enclosed and had installed what were at three time supposed to be very good vinyl windows. I think I paid $600 apiece for them and there were maybe 26”x40-something”. Now my house was in a heavily wooded area and only got direct sunlight around the back porch for a small part of the day. Inside of three years those windows all developed that “smile warp” for the little sunlight and heat that they saw.

So I guess I’m concerned if over 20 years or so a vinyl window solution in Florida could stand up to the heat and (for this new house down here) direct sun. Thanks for any help.

Comments (9)