SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rubyclaire1

Cracked Shower Drain in Second Floor Bonus Room Shower...

rubyclaire
last month
last modified: last month

A cracked shower drain in an upstairs bonus room shower (rarely used) is causing a cascading set of issues. A leak in the kitchen directly below the shower led to opening the ceiling and identifiying the cracked drain. Plumbing contractor indicates that we must remove and replace the shower pan as well to properly replace the drain. Of course this will require removing the tile floor, about a foot of wall tile, the glass shower door and the shower curb. Ugh.

So, I had this fantasy that I could find a contrasting 6 x 6 tile and "make it work". Again, this is a seldom used bathroom in a bonus room. However, I believe this strategy will make it look exactly like the piecemeal job it would be. This is a fairly small shower but it is 100% tiled (floor, walls, ceiling) in this bone colored 6x6 tile circa 2004. I also have the 12x12 stone looking tile floor to contend with which I do not want to change.

So, I need your thoughts:

1. Any other creative ideas other than re-tiling this entire shower?

2. If re-tiling, would using a 6x6 tile in a white or cream (which will be in keeping with the other two baths in the home) be the best idea? I'm thinking larger will make the shower look re-done but without re-modeling the whole bathroom.

3. Is replacing the shower pan really the only way to fix a cracked shower drain??

Thanks in advance - ETA: Photos hard to capture but have been added.

ETA: Cracked drain as seen from hole cut in kitchen ceiling :(.

Comments (10)