SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
celinesel

Hairline crack on shower wall (vertical)

Celine Sellam
5 years ago

We had a bathroom fully gutted and renovated 2 years ago. Now a vertical hairline crack has formed in the middle of the wall exactly where the seam between the 2 cement boards is located. What could be the cause?
the contractor says the opening and closing of the drawers in the bedroom behind that wall is causing some shaking of the wall and the cracks but I would think the wall should be strong enough to sustain some pressure without causing cracks on the tiles on shower wall....
does this points out to uneven installation of the Hardie boards?

We had one tile removed to see what is underneath (see photos). the cracks is in the middle where the yellow harrows point to.

Comments (65)

• PRO
    Dragonfly Tile & Stone Works, Inc.
    5 years ago

No. Not the tape. Tape may hinder but not stop excessive structural movement. The studs were original to the 100 yr old house. When you tear everything out, you assess and shore up. Is there a stud behind the seam at the cement board? Is the cement board secured to the stud? If so, if it's taped, your problems could be beyond what you're seeing. The Redguard application in your case means nothing. Did you do any reconfiguration in the room (move walls, redistribute weight)?

• chiflipper
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Please don't say he put the cement board over the existing wall covering (plaster or drywall).

OMG! This is just so wrong...and you have photographic proof. Just watch this video -

https://www.custombuildingproducts.com/reference-library/videos/how-to-install-redgard-waterproofing-and-crack-prevention-membrane.aspx

It all has to come out...down to the studs (as it should have been done from the start). It has not been properly water-proofed. I am so sorry this happened to you.

• Related Discussions

Hairline cracks in grout in shower walls

Q

Comments (3)
    It's not anything to really worry about, in that being grouted, it's guaranteed to crack due to movement. However, yes, you should call your GC and let him know you want ALL the grout removed from those corners, and replaced with a siliconized latex from the same company as the grout, and in the same color. DO NOT allow him to simply caulk over the grout, because it'll just peel right back off within a few weeks.
    ...See More

Hairline cracks in tile shower floor...

Q

Comments (7)
    Staceyneil, thanks for the reply. I actually called the tile guy that regrouted my walls. He basically said the same thing as you. That the pan should take care of any water getting through the grout. But since living in the house for a year I have found things that the builder either did wrong or he cut corners. So I was just worried about how he built the shower. So I really have no idea what he used to build the pan with. As for the shower door. Once more thing that I did after blowing up the balloon to test the pan was to put a shower curtain on the inside of the door. This way when I showered no water could hit the shower door. When I did this the toilet paper stopped getting wet. So that is how I knew it was related to the shower door. So I started looking at the shower door. Well sure enough the previous owner has caulked over the weep holes in the shower door. So I thought to myself, where is the water going that gets into the bottom door track?? The threshold that the door sat on was not tile, but one continous piece of corian. There was caulk on each side of the threshole where the corian met the tile wall. So when I took the door off there was a small hole in the caulk right where the bottom track of the door met the vertical track of the door that goes up the tile wall. There was also a small gap between the bottom track and the wall track of the door. So to make a long story short. I think what was happening was water was getting into the bottom track of the door, leaking through the small gap between the bottom track and wall track, through the small hole in the caulk, and then leaking into the drywall.
    ...See More

Hairline cracks in brand new shower tile

Q

Comments (10)
    Not a pro grout job. I had something similar, only worse, and it turned out that the backer board was not properly installed. It wasn't firmly attached to the studs. There was some movement and the tile cracked. The contractor come back and redid the whole wall, on his nickle. YMMV
    ...See More

Hairline crack in shower wall tile

Q

Comments (1)
    It's probably gonna fill with contamination and look nasty, but if your waterproofing is done correctly it's not going to leak. Try filling it with thin super glue before it gets bad. Did you get a plastic valve cover? That's how large the hole should be. I'll bet your tile is covering your escutcheon screw holes. If you've gotta recut the hole, you may as well replace the tile.
    ...See More
  • Celine Sellam
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    We didn’t reconfigure this side of the bathroom (we moved another wall to make it a bit bigger).
  • chiflipper
    5 years ago

Did he put the cement board over the existing wall covering (plaster or drywall)??? OR, did he remove the existing plaster / drywall down to the studs???

• Celine Sellam
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I found this photo also
    So it was taken to the studs as you can see
  • chiflipper
    5 years ago

OK. Now please click on the link and watch the video (4 minutes). Note how you cannot "see" the seams (because those seams have been done properly)and how ALLthe cement board is completely covered by the RedGuard.

The old studs should have been "sistered" (Google the term) before the cement board was mounted.

It all has to be torn out and redone...sorry.

• PRO
    5 years ago

I can't even. The video referenced has nothing to do with your problem. My head's rolling. Please get a qualified contractor onsite to assess. Sorry you are dealing with this.

• User
    5 years ago

How about no waterproofing as the cause. More than the seams need to be covered. And by more than one coat.

• ci_lantro
    5 years ago

Have you done any remodeling downstairs since the bathroom was remodeled (or around the same time?

• PRO
    5 years ago

Nope, Sophie, not the waterproofing in this case.

• Celine Sellam
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    We haven’t done anything else (we did all the other bathrooms in the house at the same time).
    So consensus on problem with the studs and problem with the waterproofing?
    I saw the video, thank you
    This is helpful
    Thank you all for sharing your input !!!!!
  • PRO
    User
    5 years ago

If he did the other showers the same way he did those, you have a pretty large issue that is needing addressing. Regardless of the reason that the crack appeared, the waterproofing is not done correctly. And that is enough by itself to insist on replacement. From a different contractor.

• PRO
    GannonCo
    5 years ago

The cement board is hung vertically vs horizontally. There is nothing behind the seam to support it. It has nothing to do with tape at all its how they hung the boards. Boards are designed to fit standard 60" tub or shower hung horizontally.

There should be 2x4's between each stud with the 4 vertical giving the board sufficient support.

Besides that the look at that thinset? is it?

Lots wrong here but its how they hung the boards tell them they don't have a clue look at the rest of the job plenty more wrong here. Are those tiles lugged? If they are butt up against in corners zero caulk and no gap they can buckle.

• ci_lantro
    5 years ago

I think Wannabath has nailed it.

A common size of cement board is 3' x 5'. If that was the size used, the installer chose to hang them vertically because it looks like the enclosure is more than 5' wide. Tub is usually 60" but this shower has a ledge plus the tub. Rather than make a couple of short cuts with staggered seams, he took the easy way out. May have even thought that the vertical install was a better idea because of having less seam vs horizontal installation in this non-standard size shower.

Like Wannabath said, there may not be/ probably isn't a stud behind the vertical seam. So just plain old seasonal movement would be enough to cause the crack.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

This needs to be ripped out and redone at the old contractors expense and with a new contractor that actually knows what they are doing. Cement board is not waterproofing this was done all wrong from the beginning.

• Celine Sellam
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Patricia, can you please explain why the waterproofing was done wrong ?
    Thank you !
  • millworkman
    5 years ago

"Patricia, can you please explain why the waterproofing was done wrong ?"

It's not wrong, it's that there appears to be none. Cement board is not waterproof and the redguard appears to be installed only at the seams. I would also be concerned that the screw pattern was followed for the cement board in addition to the way it was hung.

• greg_2015
    5 years ago

In addition to the fact that there is next to no waterproofing, I wonder if there is a stud behind the seam.

Can you slide a razor blade or something thin into the crack between the boards?

If it doesn't hit anything, then there's no stud and that's a huge problem.

If it hits something, it doesn't guarantee that it's properly attached, but at least something is there.

• PRO
    GannonCo
    5 years ago

Cement board is not effected by water but no it does not prevent water from penetrating through it. Everybody screams no waterproofing if they don't see a roll on or Shluter system but that is not true. Yes, it appears this installer is clueless and thinks it is to berated on only the seams.

Not every code requires ANY waterproofing at all. Most require a simple roofing felt or plastic sheet behind the cement board. In a traditional non steam shower it is fine. One traps the water before the board the other redirects if it gets through the board.

The entire reason for cement type boards is they do not fall apart when wet like sheetrock does. A lot of these membranes and roll ons were designed to go over sheetrock and make it waterproof.

There is NOTHING wrong with a shower that has properly taped seams and a simple roofing felt backing. Some feel this is actually a better system as it allows the wall to breathe. If you have epoxy grout and a roll on membrane if there is any water intrusion the water has nowhere to go and this is why you see mold with epoxy grout sometimes on shower pan jobs.

The biggest issue the nobody addresses is venting or draining the water pack into the pan or tub. Plastic pans used to come with drains along the shelf just for this reason. This is why caulking fails as it gets wet from behind and front and there are very few fully submersible caulks sold.

I am not 100% sure that is thinset and if it is it is not applied with the right trowel as there is almost no coverage.

NO gaps, no backing blocks and poor thinset and overtime you lean on that wall it flexes.

Celine Sellam thanked GannonCo
  • ci_lantro
    5 years ago

When I redid my leaking shower years ago (coming on 20 years?), I used roofing felt behind cement board. I built it per Fine Homebuilding. Don't know if the Schluter System or Red Guard was even around at that time. Knock on wood, so far, so good. At this point, if it fails, I don't mind. Something with less grout on the next go...

• PRO
    Franks Home Maintenance and General Contracting
    5 years ago

Hi, Here is what I can see from the pics. First, the hardy is 5 feet long, and if you install horizontally, there would be no seam there. Next, the premixed thinset isn't "squished" You can still see the trowel marks. When you st tile, you press it into the thinset for proper adhesion.

With that out of the way, we are left to speculate what caused the failure.I have two guesses.

My first is that the center stud had a bow in it. When he installed, he screwed the hardy to the stud, causing the hardy to bow inward. Over time, the screws tore through the hardy. As the hardy relax back straight, the tile began to pop off.

The second ( and most unlikely) Is that he simply left the thinset on the wall too long before setting the tile. ( the thinset dried) Seeing the pic of him installing I dont think thats the case.

Here is the bad part, whatever the reason, this is a failed project and the tile must be removed and the cause investigated and resolved. I am really sorry for that. Tile work is expensive. Hopefully the contractor is a stand up guy and will help you out on this. I hope you hired a licensed and insured contractor.

Please keep us updated.

Best, Frank

Celine Sellam thanked Franks Home Maintenance and General Contracting
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

I see 9 fasteners in the Hardie board where I should be seeing 40 or so. No wonder it's cracking.

Celine Sellam thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • Celine Sellam
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    As a follow up I thought I would share what we found when we opened up the wall: the backer boards had been installed improperly: not staggered, al 4 boards meet in one corner (as highlighted with the yellow marks I made on the second photo), to add to the troubles, not enough fasteners were used on the boards...
  • PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    5 years ago
    Good follow up. I presume they are going to remove the other two walls as well so the waterproofing can be addressed?
  • Celine Sellam
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I am still waiting to hear back from the contractor on the next step but yet we need to remove the other 2 sides
  • User
    5 years ago

You probably don't see it this way, but you are actually lucky that the tile cracked to reveal the mess behind it. Contractors can get away with a nice tile job covering a myriad of horrors underneath for as long as the tile holds. For most homeowners the contractor isn't still around when this happens. Luckily for you this happened in a relatively short period of time - if this contractor does all of their bathrooms this way they won't be in business for much longer. Hopefully they are repairing this free of charge.

• cat_ky
    5 years ago

Hopefully, they will replace the tile and do proper repairs and wont cost you anything. I would also worry about the other bathrooms.

• Celine Sellam
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I do hope he will make the repairs and I do worry about the other 2 bathrooms indeed, this is a real headache for sure.
    Thank you all for your feedback.
  • millworkman
    5 years ago

My concern of he didn't care enough to do it correct the first time, what will be the caveat this time? You need to know what the proper steps are and document with pictures the steps he takes. Trust but verify.............................

• Celine Sellam
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I agree with you 100%.

• Celine Sellam
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi everyone, I really need your help again with this same bathroom.

Now the contractor has opened one wall, but doesnt want to open the other 2 walls to remove all cement backer boards and reinstall them properly. he just wants to do the back wall and not the side walls, but I know the corners wont be connected properly. Any suggestions on how to back this up? any official literature/ instructions you could share from manufacturers/tile organizations? I looked online but could not find anything addressing the specifics of cement backer boards corner installation . I just wants this done right once and for all. thank you for your help!!!!

• PRO
    User
    5 years ago

Read the manufacturer’s installation instructions for the products used. Not enough screws in the board. And the Red Guard is improperly installed.

http://pdf.lowes.com/installationguides/727396200226_install.pdf

https://www.custombuildingproducts.com/media/60997801/tb94-understanding-the-coverage-rate-for-redgard.pdf

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    5 years ago
    There is no way that I can see to waterproof a corner without removing all the tile.
  • acm
    5 years ago

There's no way I would trust his work on the remaining walls just because I haven't seen them fail yet...

• Jeff Meeks
    5 years ago

I applaud you for taking so many informative pictures.

Corners are important when it comes to waterproofing and if one wall was done incorrectly then there's a strong chance that the other walls are bad too. The whole CBU job on the back wall looks a bit amateurish......not enough screws, joints not staggered, and joints not well mudded and taped. Also not waterproofing the whole enclosure seems like a cheap short cut and it begs a question. Was a vapor barrier installed behind the CBU? Leaving most of the CBU without Redguard would need a vapor barrier behind the the CBU to protect the framing and insulation...was that done?

• Celine Sellam
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I don’t think any water barrier was installed

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    5 years ago

/\/\/\/\ well there is your answer, it all has to come out

• Jeff Meeks
    5 years ago

That's usually not good. Where do you live? In most places poly sheeting goes on the studs before the the CBU and then you use tape and thinset on the joints before you tile...or you put the CBU directly on the studs and again put tape and thinset on the joints and then you completely cover it with a waterproof layer like Kerdi sheets or Redguard. You basically want to stop water vapor condensing right on your studs and insulation.

One other question, when you removed the tile was it stuck on with sort of rubbery stuff like glue or was it hard like mortar?

• PRO
    5 years ago

You can't partially remove shower walls and re-do them. You don't "patch" a new shower. No other reputable contractor would come in and do what your contractor is suggesting. It's a sad situation. While we still would guess that the initial cracking was structuralIy related, it is, as someone mentioned, a bit of a blessing that the tile was removed and the other sub-standard prep was uncovered as this could have caused other problems down the road. I would request documentation indicating that the entire shower build is being done in accordance to industry standards as outlined in the NTCA Handbook and ANSI specifications and that you expect the work to be warrantied. And that will require a complete re-do. I'm assuming that you did not get a qualified contractor in to review the work? Sadly, we are called to consult regarding failures and when we do, we provide a written assessment and recommendation. That's your documentation as we would be providing the recommendations in accordance with industry standards. Can't argue with that. Hope you get it done right. Hire wisely HOUZZERS!

• PRO
  • Celine Sellam
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    No update
    Still waiting for the contractor to do the repairs but he won’t do the entire tub surround, only the back wall which is not good
  • PRO
    5 years ago

there's no way to get the left and right rear corner sealed without removing the entire system and starting over.
    was he a licensed and insured contractor?

• Celine Sellam
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Yes he is
  • PRO
    5 years ago

Ok, In Tn., In order to be a licensed contractor, we have to be bonded. This is like an insurance policy for just such an occasion. If I have a client that I mess up, and am not willing to repair to industry standards, the homeowner can go downtown to the codes dept and report.

Once codes looks at it and the contractor still won't make it right, you can "call on his bond" they will give you the amount to fix it with someone else, and he can't pull permits until he pays the bond back.

Since this is a tile/tub replacement, the contractor probably does not have a permit on it. That's ok, since it's torn out anyway, they will be able to see the water pipes. So don't let that stop you.

Please keep us updated!

Please remember folks, make sure that your contractor is licensed, bonded and insured. Mistakes happen, we are all only human. What's makes a good contractor is how they handle it when an issue does come up.

• millworkman
    5 years ago

Frank you cannot make blanket statements like that as not every jurisdiction is the same. Bonding is not required everywhere. Permits are not required everywhere.

• PRO
    5 years ago
    technically, I suppose you're correct. I was careful to note that this is the law in Tennessee. here is a link if this helps everyone 4 overall shopping

https://real-estate-law.freeadvice.com/real-estate-law/construction/licensed-and-bonded-contractors-why-hire.htm
  • Celine Sellam
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    It is also the case in MA where I am located. The problem is that the issue came up after the one year warranty so it would be very hard and costly to take legal action against him at this time.
    Thank you so much for following up I really appreciate it.
  • PRO
    5 years ago

I understand, I'm sorry for what happened to you. we guarantee our showers for the life of the home excluding any structural failures of the house

• Jeff Meeks
    5 years ago

celinesel,

When I look at the first set of pictures you posted I wonder what was used to attach the tiles to the cement board. It should be a modified thinset, was that used? Has any of the back wall cement board been removed yet? You need to see if there's a vapor barrier behind it...if not then there's no argument about all the walls coming down.