SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
izzieo

Off-white walls, matching ceiling and trim? SW or BM paint

izzieo
last month
last modified: last month

I need to start thinking about paint for our home build… in the main living/dining/kitchen area I’m thinking of a light and airy but earthy feel. We have a huge amount of bright natural light (mostly east and south, then north, tiny bit of west streaming in from one end in the kitchen) so I don’t want bright white walls, it will be blinding. With a panoramic view of the landscape I just want the paint to disappear.

Flooring will be white oak, a medium wheat tone shown below. It does have the slightest green undertone in person with the sample, I think it looks very good in natural lighting.

I will test a bunch of options eventually, but I lean toward something like Sherwin Williams Pearly White, Heron Plume, or maybe Alabaster if it doesn’t look too yellow. For the walls I assume we will do a satin/eggshell.

1. I am wondering about doing the same colour for the baseboard trim in semi-gloss, I think if it is a neutral enough off-white, this could work fine. In other rooms I will likely do darker bold colours on both walls and ceiling, so if the trim doesn’t look good with those I might also do matching dark trim. We only have basic flat stock baseboards, the doors and windows have a modern drywall return. Doors have painted wood jambs though.
  2. If baseboards and door jambs are matching off-white, should interior door slabs match? Our exterior doors and windows are black. I am nearly wondering about doing interior doors black because it might look better in rooms where we have dark walls without having to do different coloured doors everywhere.
  3. Should I do the ceiling basic boring flat white or matching the walls but flat finish? I imagine the colour will look nearly white, but against a standard white ceiling I feel like the ceiling will look dull grey and the walls might look very beige or yellow. Naturally I think matching ceiling usually looks better, but the issue is the stuff going in the ceiling. Our vents are paintable, no problem. But the pot lights? It’s either white or black or brushed nickel! I already chose a white ceiling fan. The thought of a Pearly White (off-white) ceiling with a bunch of white pot lights seems awkward.
  4. Kitchen cabinetry will be painted and some will be stained oak. I was envisioning a light oyster/mushroomy colour or some kind of green. Might stick with neutral for kitchen cabs, and do green in the mudroom which is visible through an arched opening in the kitchen. Anyway, if the main living area and baseboard trim is a bright neutral off white, would you try to do the kitchen cabs the same colour or darker version maybe? Guess I’ll just need to look at samples in person but worth asking!

Thanks 😊

Comments (16)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm