SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lizzy_410

It's March 2024 how is your build going?

Liz888
last month
last modified: last month

Whether you are in the building, planning, or just-plain-dreaming-about it phases of home construction, this is the place for you! We are a kind group who share the joys and stresses, the mistakes and successes of this wondrous process. Welcome! Glad you are here.

(PS. We love pictures.)

We had multiple subs working on the house today and it was nice to see. We had painters, carpenters installing door knobs, cabinet knobs and exterior work being done on the siding.

Comments (100)

• izzieo
    last month

@worthy check out Chervin! Didn't decide to go with them but they do beautiful work and were super responsive, they have an Oakville location. Also when you say no eggshell wall paint... you mean you're doing flat on the walls?! What if someone wants to clean the walls! I'm surprised, your project strikes me as a level 5 type of project! I'm torn because we have sooo much natural light, I really don't want to see drywall texture but also don't know how much it would cost to upgrade to level 5 yet.

@pgjs such a pretty kitchen!

• worthy
    last month

We're using satin paint. In a previous home, when our heirs were small, the painter used some sort of varnish(?) that resisted all handprints.

worthy smudge resistant walls

We're quite a few steps down from the Bridle Path! New builds there in the 25,000 sf + range are a different world altogether.

Bridle Path mansion. L. $C28m. arch. John C. Parkin

I will check out Chervin.

When we started this project, an excellent semi-retired trim carpenter I worked with before was going to provide the cabinetry. But in the nearly 5 years it took to get a permit, his knees have given out and he's completely retired. Since this is now an industrial-look build, slickness can take a backseat. So we're looking at some smaller shops without the frippery product, showrooms and nose-in-the-air salespeople.

• Related Discussions

It's March - How Is Your Build Going

Q

Comments (69)
    We are almost done. My lot was graded this weekend but I haven't gone out to check it yet... Tomorrow my wood floors will be stained so I won't be able to enter house for several days. Every entrance into home is on wood floors. I can go in a window I guess, lol. Friday, March 27th my carpet will be installed in the bedrooms and play room. Still need landscaping, exterior trim paint, and mirrors in bathrooms. Other than that, it is just the punch list items and then we are done. Hope to move in on April 10th. I have pics on photo bucket.
    ...See More

It's March 2014, how is your build? Part II

Q

Comments (150)
    Autumn--I have dimensions for you on the bench and took a couple of better pics too. :) The carpenters were there when I went down there, so I asked them how they built the middle shelves. They said they nailed and glued it all the way around and then put the face frame on. Hope that helps!! Dimensions: The tall opening in the middle is 18.5" high and 23" wide. The openings for the areas with a shelf are 22.5" wide, with the bottom shelf at 9" high and the top shelf at 8" high. These are all measurements for the openings, so do not include the frame. bluemoon--Glad you liked the fireplace surround! :) My carpenters are really good. I just give them the basics of what I want or show them a picture and they have not disappointed so far. For this one, I just wanted something simple and not too thick as I wanted to leave enough space to showcase the pebble tile that will go around the fireplace unit. I think they nailed it! (pun intended :)) They put the shelves in on either side yesterday. The counters did go in yesterday, but they were covering them up just as we got there, so I didn't get to revel in them and I barely got a few pics. Super white quartz on island: Carrera marble on kitchen perimeter and DD vanity: Brazilian black slate on DS vanity and Great Room hearth: As far as pantry goes, mine is a walk in but not huge. I know I want a counter top with in an L shape with one shelf underneath for larger items and then various shelves above. I had two outlets put in at counter level so that we can keep appliances like toaster and Keurig in there. Something like this: [[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/cottage-bungalow-craftsman-kitchen-phvw-vp~7334112) [Craftsman Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/craftsman-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2116) by Traverse City Architects & Designers Marty Rhein, CKD, CBD - BAC Design Group
    ...See More

It's March 2012 - How's Your Build Progressing?

Q

Comments (60)
    Haven't Posted any pics in quite sometime. We are finished with drywall and paint. Trim is going in along with tile and finishing touches on electrical. Hope to get power moved from the temporary power pole to the house next week. Bathroom and laundry room cabinets should be in by end of this week (fingers crossed!) or maybe next week. Need to get flooring ordered and a thousand other things that I cant remember! Does anybody else feel like for every one thing that gets taken care of ten more pop up that you hadn't thought about!!! Here are some pics front elevation My columns I built Rear Elevation Love the "Coastal Crown Molding" Living view to out back Master bedroom with alternating stripes of flat and satin paint. This took me forever! But so worth it. Floor tile down in Master Bath Sewing/Laundry Room Upstairs Door being painted Stripes for our soon to be second son's room. These took significantly less time than the master bedroom! Practice! MichelleDt your house plan looks AMAZING!!! cbusmomof3 I agree about the not being able to look through the walls! I had to go back and look at framing pictures this weekend and everything looks so different!
    ...See More

March 2018! How’s your build going?

Q

Comments (296)
    Zookeeper....I was going through this thread and noticed your response to one of my earlier posts (I hardly get notifications anymore to threads I’ve participated in). You asked a question about what I would do differently in my build. At this point I would have a long list. I did go over a spattering of those things in my very long thread [Cannot procrastinate any longer...[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/cannot-procrastinate-any-longer-with-hardware-choice-dsvw-vd~5106472), it was in answer to another poster who was asking the same question (mike I believe was his name). I can’t for the life of me get all the comments of that thread to load, so I am unable to search for the spot where that diologue took place. When I find it I will post it (rather than try to recreate it). One little piece of advice I would give that has been repeated over and over on these forums regarding building is to find the right building lot with the correct exposure. This cannot be emphasized enough. If you’re into windows and light and a cheery interior, you do not want to purchase a piece of land that only allows you to place your house with the main living areas facing north! No matter how beautiful it is, resist the temptation. I have found that a southern exposure on the backside of the house (if the main living area is in the back) along with windows on the east and west sides of that same main living area will allow for the best (and continual) light throughout the entire day. I get morning sun streaming in the east side windows of the great room, then the midday sun through the south side windows, and then setting sun around the west side of that same living area (with some trees blocking some of that setting sun). It’s glorious (I love light!). No need for artificial light even on an overcast day and no need to turn on the lights until the sun goes down. When searching for land, I would look up its location wth an aerial view and if it didn’t fit my specifications for exposure, I would not even consider it (helps weed out a lot of land). Anyway, all that to say....be very picky about your lot!
    ...See More
  • izzieo
    last month

The Bridle Path is insane! I’m not really a fan of that level of excess, it is far beyond reasonable…

Oh so you’re doing satin on the walls, ceiling too? Flat white ceilings always seem so dull and boring to me… but we will probably do flat white ceilings. Maybe white-ish.

• worthy
    last month

ceiling too?

Probably not as uplighting on Level 4 with any sheen is asking for troubl.e

• tozmo1
    last month

@worthy "our heirs" 😍 No matter what the project, why are cabinets so problematic? Argh. Hope you find someone. Young people looking for a great career need to go into cabinetry.

• Liz888
    Original Author
    last month

For those that started similar time as I did, when is your completion date? For reference, we broke ground in March 2023.

We are still hoping to move in end of April 2024 but still have a lot of work to do.

I recall @bmanning @chanderlin and @2rickies are in my timeline of breaking ground.

I feel like the last leg of the build is painfully slow. Maybe it’s because we can taste the end. We are working on exterior (grading, driveway and walk pathway) and there are so many decisions.

Also I completely forgot about downspouts and burying the line underneath to either do a pop up or connect to our storm line.

Still a lot of work in interior. Countertops are coming next week. There was a huge delay with this. Most of the plumbing is in except for sinks since we need countertop for this.

Last week floors were sanded and coats of sealer went on.

Then we will do second coat of paint and electricians etc.

I’ve already started packing. Lol.

• izzieo
    last month

You’re getting so close Liz!

I’m glad I’ve been on this forum because now I know to expect things to be very drawn out toward the end… I’ve made a lovely little timelapse video with music of the build so far, up to finishing the exterior. It’s like a minute long and one would think we’re pretty much done by the tone of the video. However we are only starting our HVAC and electrical rough ins hahah looong way from being done!

• Keen B
    last month

I recall reading somewhere here that the first 90% of the build takes 10% of the time. Not sure the math is real or just the way it feels...but those final details can be so persnickety...like screwing in 25+ door knobs, or 50 cabinet pulls, etc. There's no pneumatic tools to make that go any faster...where framing has a team of beasts, shooting nails.

@izzieo I asked a similar paint question and @Chandllerin suggested I look at SW's Shoji White. Great advice! That may be the one I use. Enough earthy color to keep it from being stark, but not over powering or too darkening.

• 2rickies
    last month

@izzieo, we did level 4 drywall. I don't remember what the upcharge was, but when we discussed it with the architects, they thought it was fine. And seeing the drywall now, the carpenters are doing a great job with it. I have no concerns. All wall paint will be flat except maybe bathrooms. I don't like shiny stuff. It's supposed to be very cleanable. We'll see, but since I no longer have little kids, I'm not going to worry about it. (I'm choosing paint colors now, too. I'll check out your post on that.)

@Liz888, we broke ground in Dec 2022, after work on our access road which started in Sept. The builder had said he hoped to have us in by NY 2024. Pretty soon, it was March 2024. But in the fall, it became clear it would be later. We're now scheduled to finish in June, hopefully early June, and it shouldn't slip anymore. I expected delays, so I never expected Jan '24 to happen, tbh! I wasn't surprised when it slipped to March, but I'm bummed not to be in before the summer. We waited 6 weeks for steel at one point, and then the steel people made an error in their install, caught by a sub, and we waited 3 more weeks for it to be corrected. There were other things like that, beyond the builder's control.

Ceiling beams are up in the great room, and I'm happy we decided to go ahead with them. It makes the room feel warmer. Speaking of warm, radiant heat tubing is in, and wood floors are going in now.

• worthy
    last month

We've built 2,400-sf to 4,300 sf in no longer than 10 mos. All were in-fill requiring demolition of an existing home. All had finished basements, multiple fp, etc.

But as they say with investments, past results are no guarantee of future performance!!

Lucky if this is ready for Thanksgiving (US or Cdn.) 17-18 mos.

Water, water... (26 June '23)

everywhere (14 Aug. '23)

So far, time loss and $$$ overage due to: architect mis-siting the house, difficult soil conditions my poor choice of framing contractor.

• Kyla McSweeney
    last month

Our walls were plaster, anyone else. We had no idea they were doing plaster instead of drywall until they started.

Our build was 18 months total once they broke ground.

I got one of my mirrors from Homegoods and got a great deal on it. The other one I got from Wayfair and it was also inexpensive and I love it.

I spent a lot of time choosing lighting fixtures, not realizing that 4 of the lights I chose were actually recessed lights. I was able to sell 3 of the extra lights and the other was donated to habit for humanity re-store. The builders lost one of my outdoor lights and I had to scurry and find another that matched (even though it was in the back) and luckily got 2 because they hadn't marked one light over the doghouse to the basement. I am happy to was able to find an appropriate one quickly (while electrician was still installing) and happy I didn't settle.

• Chandllerin
    last month

@Liz888 we broke ground 5/2/23. My builder is scared to give us a move in date b/c of "bad luck". If I had to guess, we are looking at end of April/early May so exactly 12mos which is about what our builder predicted. Everyone on here said that the last few months are brutal and they were absolutely right! The plumber started installing plumbing fixtures and toilets last week. The electricians showed up a week early (what are the odds?!) but all of the light fixtures won't arrive until the end of this week so they did what they could, but they will have to come back. God bless @Renee M 's cabinet guy because we are still missing the rest of the pantry cabinets. A bunch of tiny loose ends to get to the finish line.

We (aka my husband) lost our storage unit key...thankfully it was quick and easy to replace the lock and only cost $22. I haven't been to the unit in over year and it was nice to see that our stuff looked exactly how we left it. I've had nightmares about that damn storage unit.

I am annoyed at myself for even looking at PB and West Elm b/c I found some medicine cabinets that I like for the master bath at West Elm and that price tag is ridiculous. I found some similar mirrors (no medicine cabinet) at Hobby Lobby for 1/4 of the cost. Decisions, decisions.

• Renee M
    last month

We went today to talk closets with the foreman. He called me at 11am, to meet at 5pm. I drew this up really fast for my closet.

And they've started the stone. He said stone and trim will be done this week, interior paint next week.

• bmanning
    last month

Two steps forward, one step back. Seems to be the way things go here. We broke ground August 1, 2022. They got the ground dug and footers put in then the snow started (we are in the mountains of Colorado). Our contractor advised waiting until the ground thawed in spring to pour the slab, so we went on hold for a few months. May 2023 work resumed. We had hoped for a March 2024 CO, but here we are mid-march and things are still plodding along. The county building department continues to try to throw as many roadblocks our way as possible, I won’t bore you with the details. Suffice to say it’s become pretty contentious and at this point we just need to suck it up and shut up so we can finish and get our CO. Drywall and painting took forever and we’re finally getting the interior stone, tile and cabinets. Optimistically thinking maybe we’ll be in by June 1, but trying not to get our hopes up.

• Renee M
    last month

@bmanning I love that stone! I can't imagine dealing with a difficult county when building.

• Renee M
    last month

Exterior done except for gutters! Stone all done. Beams up!

Now I need to decide a cabinet color. The island will be teal, I need to choose between the two beige colors. One is SW Beach house 7518, the other is SW Latte 6108. Latte was my original choice, but I was afraid would be too dark, it's not, so now I'm stumped.

• 2rickies
    last month

Wow, @renee m, your build is going at lightning speed! Fwiw, I looked at the two beiges on the SW site, and I like the darker one if it's going with a bright color like your blue door. What color teal is your island?

@bmanning, that stone and that window wall are stunning--and what an amazing view!! Glad you're making progress!

We ordered our cabs in September, and they were just delivered (yay!). Very happy with the island color, which is SW smoky blue, a gray-blue. Main cabs are natural cherry.

Having trouble figuring out the exterior colors. The siding is being painted right now, and I'm concerned it's going to be too bright (SW slate tile, but on site it looks very blue, rather than more gray). The foyer exterior, which is the connector between the two wings, has been painted black, because it's supposed to "disappear" and just read as "glass," but to me that's not working. Maybe it will once I see the whole thing together, but right now I'm not loving it. This is the back. The front of it is all glass, so not much to paint.

At the far end of the stone building, the underside of the overhang is cedar. This exterior wall is also supposed to be painted black so it "disappears" along with the black window frames:

The inside of that wall is also supposed to be black, again to "disappear." There's not a whole lot to paint on the inside wall. (The rest of the room will be white.) It's all part of the architect's concept, and part of me says I should go with it and maybe I'll like it once it's all together. It's only paint and paint can be changed. In this pic, you can also see white oak floor going in, and white oak beams.

Here are the cabs! (Hard to see the true colors in these photos.)

• izzieo
    last month

2rickies - Great pics! I agree the black transition between the 2 wings does not disappear, but I think it will look good with the rest of the black once complete. If you want to repaint since it is a small area, maybe something closer in colour to the stone charcoal grey?

The cedar soffits look great! I recently freaked out this week, about like 10 different things, but one of them was our soffit area under two little porch roofs. They did cedar, and it turned out they used horrible knotty cedar. The clear coat also makes it look yellow, so against the black siding I am not loving it! Did you use clear knot-free cedar? Hard to tell from your zoomed out photo. I’m not sure what to do about mine yet. I feel bad, I think they would have to remove the fascia board and the soffit wood in order to replace. And then get new wood. Or just live with a hideous exterior on the house… undecided.

Also love your cabinetry choices, is that cherry? If so, nice to see it with the white oak. I really like walnut with my white oak floors but I have been planning to do white oak cabs so far so I better figure it out soon! Also, I’m currently agonizing over whether to do shaker cabs or flat panel like you’ve done. Flat would suit the home much better since it is modern, but I love the slightly traditional addition of shaker doors. Mainly because I’m thinking of mixing some painted and some wood, I didn’t think painted flat panel would look good as I haven’t seen it often. Yours looks nice though, I think it’s a blue colour unless it’s grey and the lighting makes it look blue! The big question is what kind of hardware are you doing in your kitchen??? Again, I am torn between modern vs traditional. I love simple minimal hardware like tab pulls, but I also love English style like the cup pulls and tiny knobs. I just get the sense that since most of my drawers are big (33”W) using cup pulls or knobs would be too tiny. It should really be wide pulls to open big drawers. Honestly, I have lost count of my mental breakdowns this past week. But the kitchen design was definitely one of them.

Renee - I would do the lighter beige on all the cabinets and skip the blue because you have a lot going on already with the stone on the island, unless you are set on that. You could do a blue tile on the backsplash wall?

• Renee M
    last month

Yes, we sat down and decided on the light beige, the SW beach house.

The husband is stuck on the teal island, I'm conceding. If it looks terrible, it's just paint, easy to match to cabinets later.v I'm also gonna do the vent hood teal, like this photo, but with the stone too, of course.

• 2rickies
    last month

@renee m, I hadn't noticed the stone before I made my comment--I think you made the right choice with the lighter color.

@izzieo, here's a closer up pic of the cedar soffit. It definitely has knots, and I think it's fine that way. It's funny the things that we notice and probably no one else will notice! I have shaker cabs in my current house, and I wanted to do something different/more modern, so I stuck with the flat panels. The perimeter cabs--that tall one in the earlier pic-- are natural cherry. The color of the painted island is a blue-gray, SW smoky blue: https://www.sherwin-williams.com/en-us/color/color-family/neutral-paint-colors/SW7604-smoky-blue It looks more gray in certain light and more blue at other times. I haven't decided about the cab hardware yet, but I'm leaning toward something long and on the modern side, like this: https://www.pullsdirect.com/miseno-mcppz005-10pk-studio-5-1-16-inch-center-to-center-handle-style-cabinet-pull-10-pack/p3883173 or https://www.pullsdirect.com/top-knobs-tk874-devon-6-5-16-inch-center-to-center-handle-cabinet-pull/p3708355?uid=3708355. I want something that won't constantly catch on my clothing! I might do black or pewter. All our door handles in the house are black.

• izzieo
    last month

2rickies - If only I saw this before I sent my defcon 1 email last week about our soffits... hard to know if I actually hate them or if I was just shocked to see it looking so yellow/warm in contrast to the grey/black siding and all the knots when I was "knot" expecting that as I wanted to see more nice natural grain instead. The knots look good on yours though!

Gah I might also have to do flat panels, cleaning shaker cabs is so annoying. Have you considered tab/edge pulls? They are nice and modern! Maybe not as ergonomic as regular pulls though.

• 2rickies
    last month

@izzieo, I did consider edge pulls, but I decided normal pulls are easier to operate and probably to clean, and they cost less!

• pgjs
    last month

I'm enjoying everybody's colorful cabinets.

@2rickies That cedar soffit is so pretty!

To those who remember, our contractors were doubtful about that patching our old ceiling would come out nicely, but we had to do something. I really didn't want to leave it as drywall, so I sucked it up replaced it with new cedar.

I'm also having paint dilemmas. I'm planning on one white throughout the main areas. I want to make sure it looks good with our cabinets. I've heard to match the white of the cabinets, but that feels too white to me. I have a sample of SW cotton white (left) and SW white flour (right) in both pictures. Cotton white definitely feels too yellow. White flour looks fine to me, but I'll have to check it out in different lighting.

• izzieo
    last month

Cotton white is definitely too yellow, in that lighting anyway! I prefer white flour on the right. I agree it is tricky with the bright white cabinets but I also don’t think I’d want that bright white everywhere. I have a similar issue with wanting a warm soft white because the pot lights will be white, and ceiling fan. I don’t think it’s the end of the world seeing contrast between the two whites as long as one is not super yellow!

What happened with your old ceiling?

• Renee M
    last month

We're using white flour for our trim, definitely go with that one!

• 2rickies
    last month

@pgjs, I'm so glad you found a way to do the wood ceiling! It's beautiful. I'm having similar white-paint troubles. I thought I was using BM Oxford White but when we painted a sample on the great room wall it looked the same color as the primer. Like chalk. I got several more samples, some are probably too yellow, but I won't know until I can go and look at them on the wall again. I feel like throwing up my hands and just going with the first one, but there will be so much of it in the house, I have to at least try some others.

• pgjs
    last month

@Renee M I probably will! But the way I am I have to compare a few other options before deciding. I'm definitely keeping the trim the same, but I realized I need to decide on ceiling color...

@izzieo That's reassuring to hear. I'm definitely looking for a warm white that's not too yellow.

It was our old living room ceiling. My husband's one request for the remodel was getting rid of our chimney, which meant we had a big hole in the ceiling that had to be patched or removed.

@2rickies Thank you! I'm debating about stains now.

Land of color has been really helpful for understanding color. https://thelandofcolor.com/?s=oxford+white Maybe you want something with a bit more chroma or a tiny bit warmer?

https://thelandofcolor.com/how-to-compare-white-paint-colors/

Good luck to everyone picking paint colors!

• Liz888
    Original Author
    last month

@bmanning @chandllerin @2rickies thanks for sharing your timeline. I had hoped we would be in by Feb. but I can live with end of April. This is my second custom build and tbh, this one was really hard. I don't think I'll ever do this again but I have to say I am really happy with how our house is coming along.

Our appliances got delivered today and we were so excited to see them installed. They couldn't get the refrigerator in the house because the installers were afraid that they would damage our front entry stairway since it was not finished. They asked to cover the stairway with plywood and they are coming back later to install.

Electricians are working at the house and painters finished yesterday. Plumbers are also working and is almost done with their stuff. They are working on rear deck and moving onto outside.

We need to work on grading, sod, hardscape, etc. I don't know about all of you but we went way over budget , i mean WAYYYY OVER so we ran out of money and do not have enough for landscaping. We have to do a very simple landscaping and will need build up our budget so we can do more elaborate landscape later.

Here's some photos of our progress

• Liz888
    Original Author
    last month

Pics

• Liz888
    Original Author
    last month

More pics

• izzieo
    29 days ago

Liz, I see why you ran out of money… look at that kitchen! Beautiful! Love the walnut vanity as well. Tell me, what will you store in the cabinets above your fridge/freezer? I have some high cabs I’m trying to figure out what to do with right now… tray dividers for pans/boards/trays/serving platters etc? And maybe a pullout for something big like a crock pot or juicer?

• bmanning
    29 days ago

@liz888 I love your kitchen! Your new home will be gorgeous. I am jealous of how much faster your's is moving compared to ours. We are doing a lot of walnut cabinets too. Our vanities will be walnut as will the perimeter of the kitchen and the mudroom. They are all sitting in the garage waiting for the ceilings in the great room to be finished before they can get installed. (Plans show t&g wood ceilings,but the county is forcing us to put drywall up, so this has been one of many stalls while we fought with them about this. Finally decided we will never win, they hold all the cards and make up the rules as they go along, so now waiting for drywall to go up between the rafters.) This is our first build and definitely the last. Never again. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. Currently we have hit a "fun" stride as the stone, tile are going in and hopefully cabinets shortly. I'm just waiting for the county to throw us their next curve ball as they seem to be experts at that! My friend was just telling me about a new house being built below her. The house is finished and ready for CO but they have no gas hook up or electricity because the county is blocking it all. The developer had promised to put in workforce housing, then went bankrupt before getting the housing built. So now the custom house homeowners are stuck and unable to move forward until the workforce housing gets built- possibly 2-3 years. I can't even imagine! After all we have been through with the county, these poor people have it much much worse.

@renee M I'm so jealous of the lightening speed that your house has gone up! Sounds like you have a great builder who has it all dialed in to get those subs in and moving!

• Renee M
    29 days ago

Love the kitchen Liz!!! I love how it continues to the left ❤️

• tozmo1
    29 days ago

My build is done! It has been a labor of love from many people that I first shared in the December 2023 commentary. Closing was March 21. The folks at Meritage Homes were a dream to work with thanks to the generous heart of their VP of Sales in North Carolina. My friend and her wheelchair bound 15 year old granddaughter are now in their new, fully wheelchair accessible home and report that they feel they are on vacation. The accessibility upgrades Meritage did were truly a miracle for this family, the vast majority of which they did not charge me for. Since this family is coming to the home with virtually nothing from a very challenging living situation, Meritage donated everything from the model home, fully staged by their interior design team. The construction supervisor was a dream to work with. Vendors and Meritage employees happily donated many, many things to this family including an HOA approved metal fence for the granddaughter's service dog. Some pics below, with a special one of the laundry room. Most of us see laundry as a chore but this wheelchair bound girl always felt left out when her teenage friends complained about having to do laundry. No more! The team enlarged the laundry room and ensured to the inch that the w/d platform enabled her to do her own laundry. So many special features in the home had her commenting time and time again, "I can do things like everyone else." She may come to regret the independence this home affords her as her grandmother warned her, "You gotta do lots of stuff yourself now kiddo."

I take for granted so much of the ease of physically moving through the day. It has been a joy to have been blessed with a wonderful group of people who have in a small part, given some of that ease to her. When you think there are only jerks out there in the world, I can tell you that's simply not true. Good people are out there and I'm so glad I found them and we came together for this family.

The house isn't fancy but every inch of it is beautiful and a 400lb wheelchair can navigate it all inside and out! Thank you Meritage!

Here's a few pics

• worthy
    29 days ago
    last modified: 29 days ago

@liz888

Interested, too, in how one plans to access the highest cabinets.

Our supplier showed us his plan with cabinets tight to the bulkhead 10 ft. high; total ceiling height is 12'. Seems ridiculous to me. Though my clutter queen says: more, more, more!

Progressing nicely now. Basement foamed and steel framing were finished in five days.

tozmo1

Congrats! Any reason not to mention the accommodating builder?

• tozmo1
    29 days ago

@worthy It's Meritage Homes. The VP is Jimmy McLurg and the construction supervisor was Cliff (don't know his last name). The builder's realtor was Gay Colvin and my realtor who made it all happen was Mary Shumate with Allen Tate in Charlotte NC. Wonderful, wonderful people! I don't have a release from everyone to show the group picture but they are all wonderful!

• Renee M
    29 days ago

Well, I have my 1st issue with the house...

The closets! I have them this drawing of what I wanted, my shoe racks are terrible. I'm not a fan of the overlap in the corners. I expected it to be a continuous set of shelves at a 90-ish degree angle. I'm no builder, not a trim person, maybe I'm being unrealistic. Tell me, am I?

The foreman told me that it had to be that way because of the shoe angles, I don't know if he meant the slant of the shelves or the actual shoes. Help me you handy people. I'm going look at it in person tmrw and I will be that woman that demands they rip it out and start over if it's possible.

• izzieo
    29 days ago
    last modified: 28 days ago

Renee, I’m sorry but the shoe shelves are your first problem? Haha not bad considering what the rest of us have been through! Yes I see what you mean, I think you need to do flat shelves if you want them continuous. If you’re able to redo it, keep the shoe shelves on one straight wall and put either straight shelves or hanging space in corners. I personally like hanging space in corners even though it’s kind of tucked in and less accessible, it’s nice for long dresses you don’t wear super frequently! However if you don’t want to change it, it’s not bad how you have it. You can still access everything easily, but if you’re wanting to display the shoes yes they will be kind of blocked. Keep the ugly ones in the corners 😀

Worthy - my ceiling height is only 9ft and cabs will go all the way, but to answer your question this is one of the primary reasons women often seek tall men. Whenever I want to get something down, I just summon help. But also it’s stuff that isn’t used frequently so just grabbing a folding step ladder or chair is fine. With taller ceilings and a bigger budget I would 100% design a sliding ladder…

• Janet
    28 days ago

Congrats tozmo!!! Looks wonderful!!

• Liz888
    Original Author
    26 days ago
    last modified: 26 days ago

ugh, i typed this long message on my phone few days ago and it took awhile to put it together and hit send and had an error message and deleted my message. Take Two!

@bmanning thank you! I am falling more in love with my kitchen as i see it more. I'm glad I decided to do walnut, and other cabinet color is soft white. The two tones really work well together along with my wood floors and ceiling beams. I'm sorry to hear about the issues and delays you've had. It is agonizing waiting and I hope that the time remaining will pass by fast . I think it will as now you are in the fun phase!

@2rickies thanks for sharing your timeline. I too was faced with same dilemma about the paint color as I have soft white on the cabinets and didn't want the wall color to match. In my previous build, I selected multiple different paint colors for the house and also did BM Dove White in my main area and this time I just wanted "white" to have that crisp (but Not COLD) as as well as some warm look. I agonized over the paint colors and just decided on BM Chantilly Lace for the areas/rooms that get good/lot of sunshine and BM Simply White for rooms that get limited sun exposure and I'm in love with the results. I was afraid Chantilly Lace might look too white and it doesn't. It's the exact shade I was looking for and it contrasts well with my soft white kitchen cabinet.

@chanderllin your timeline for completion is looking good! Thanks for sharing.

@izzieo - thank you! the cabinet above the refrigerator I plan to put things/items that I barely use. TBH, I have way too many cabinets. I have the baking pan divider accessory above the wall stove and sprinkled other accessories throughout the kitchen. I also designed a second kitchen next to the main kitchen that has a sink/under counter refrigerator/dish washer and I'll house all of my countertop appliances, etc. here in the second kitchen. I did this purposely as this room's sink faces the outside window which I like the idea of looking out whilte I do the dishes so I see myself using the second room to do all my dishes and hide away all my unwashed dishes.

@worthy lol - my ceiling is 12' in my kitchen/living room/dining room and breakfast area. When designing the kitchen cabinets, everyone including my cabinet designer, GC all asked me what I plan to put in the upper cabinets and I said nothing. It's a personal design choice but I really hate the look of tall ceiling and cabinets looking very short in the room, I wanted my cabinets to go up to the ceiling and this was the closest I can get without the upper cabinets looking too tall. I think there's about less than a foot of open space on top. I really like the look of how it all came together. It may not be everyone's choice.

@renee -for your closet, talk to your foreman and get it exactly how you want. I don't think what you are asking is unrealistic and I have also been in situation where my GC/PM would tell me one thing and would challenge it and then get it my way. It's your build, you should have it the way you want it.

For those of you that are building and are in the early, middle stage and may be experiencing a lot of "what did I get myself into and is it all worth it", which is something I have asked myself over and over again throughout the build, now that I'm nearing the end, for me the answer is "YES it was worth it". It's not perfect but when I was in my house yesterday I was admiring what what we have built, I had this sense of "happiness" that filled me.

• Liz888
    Original Author
    26 days ago

Pics

• Renee M
    26 days ago

Absolutely beautiful 2nd kitchen Liz!!!

• 2rickies
    26 days ago

@liz888, it looks fabulous! After all my paint angst, I brought chantilly lace and white dove to the house yesterday and it was clear that white dove was the winner. For whatever reason, the whiter whites just look too stark in our very bright rooms, and the warmth of white dove made the room feel more comfortable, and it goes well with all the other colors and materials. Everyone's place has such different light and combination of features, it's very individual. And now I know way more about paint than I ever imagined I would or wanted to know (and just about everything involving this build is like that)!

• rv1458
    25 days ago

@liz888 I like the garage doors. What size are they and who is the manufacturer of the door?

• Liz888
    Original Author
    25 days ago

@renee m thank you!

@rv1458 it’s Horman Longwood I believe

• Keen B
    21 days ago

Do I need to do an April link?

• TDinNC
    21 days ago

Yes please and thank you! :)

• worthy