SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artielange_gw

It's March - How Is Your Build Going

artielange
15 years ago

We are probably within 8 weeks or so of finishing. Lots of recent progress with finish flooring and ceiling wood, trim, and drywall. Coming weeks include paint and lots of trim work!

From First Trim, New Log
From First Trim, New Log
From First Trim, New Log

From First Trim, New Log

Comments (69)

• suero
    15 years ago

Lori's house:

• brutuses
    15 years ago

fancypants, if you put your photo's in photobucket you find them easier to view by others and easier for you to load and post here. Just speaking from past exeperience with Snapfish. Not everyone can access it, unlike Photobucket that allows you to post your photo's right in your message.

• Related Discussions

It's March 2013! How is your build progressing?

Q

Comments (129)
    We got our Certificate of Occupancy this past Wednesday from the County & can legally move in now if we wanted. Of course, the Bank has to send their inspector out too, no all clears yet. This time next week- 1st weekend of April - we will be moving in. It took 228 days so far & the last couple weeks have been just a mad dash to the finish line for our crew. Awaiting the grass, final tweaks & cleanup - then walk-thru on Tuesday... This post was edited by pbx2 on Sat, Mar 30, 13 at 23:40
    ...See More

It's March 2012 - How's Your Build Progressing?

Q

Comments (60)
    Haven't Posted any pics in quite sometime. We are finished with drywall and paint. Trim is going in along with tile and finishing touches on electrical. Hope to get power moved from the temporary power pole to the house next week. Bathroom and laundry room cabinets should be in by end of this week (fingers crossed!) or maybe next week. Need to get flooring ordered and a thousand other things that I cant remember! Does anybody else feel like for every one thing that gets taken care of ten more pop up that you hadn't thought about!!! Here are some pics front elevation My columns I built Rear Elevation Love the "Coastal Crown Molding" Living view to out back Master bedroom with alternating stripes of flat and satin paint. This took me forever! But so worth it. Floor tile down in Master Bath Sewing/Laundry Room Upstairs Door being painted Stripes for our soon to be second son's room. These took significantly less time than the master bedroom! Practice! MichelleDt your house plan looks AMAZING!!! cbusmomof3 I agree about the not being able to look through the walls! I had to go back and look at framing pictures this weekend and everything looks so different!
    ...See More

It's February 2015- How is your build going?

Q

Comments (227)
    Thanks everyone! Amberm, the floors are "reclaimed" maple. Basically, they are random width and length rejects from when gym floors are installed. (apparently, for gym floors they want completely clear wood with no color or knots.) The floors do have a medium stain - I believe it is Minwax's Early American with a matte finish.
    ...See More

It's March, 2016. How is your build progressing?

Q

Comments (96)
    Letters sent out today to neighbors on each side of our lake property with new house on the lot and our intentions. they have ten days to protest. We are in the setbacks, so I don't see any issues. Old house coming down April 15th. Sunny...you are moving along.
    ...See More
  • brutuses
    15 years ago

cursive, marin and marchell, looking really good. Cursive I think you take the record for fastest house build. Looks so nice.

• jbradshaw
    15 years ago

our house looks the same on the exterior except that a month ago we had a bad windstorm and it tore off a lot of the top roof. We are having trouble getting the contractor to fix it even thought it has a 1 year guarentee. We are still finishing up electrical. HVAC done inside and they put in geothermal loop today. Plumbing will be done next week. Fireplace in tommorrow. So hopefully next week will be building, electrical, hvac, and plumbing inspections so we can move on.

• cursivesailor
    15 years ago

Brutus- We lucked out and got an AMAZING contractor! He gave me all my baseboards & moldings for free bc he had it left over from a spec house. He's also giving us a $250 garbage disposal for free bc the plumbing supply gave him the floor model when they switched it. He's been above & beyond everything I expected.

But yeah, We broke ground November 1st and should be moving in sometime mid-April....

....Then getting married! Talk about alot on my plate! I still havent even picked out my dress, been too busy picking out tile and cabinets and paint and toilets and bricks.... etc etc! Ha!

• marchell
    15 years ago

Everyones house is looking so beautiful. Mairin I love your granite. Cursivesailor I love the style house you built. That is the kind of house I have always wanted. Its so beautiful. ronnatalie that veiw I bet is amazing. I love the wintery look.

I am not sure of the name of the tile but I can get it for you. We bought it from a wholesale place. All of the tile was just 99 cents a square ft. All thru the house. We saved alot of money there. The flooring is Bruces and we got it from the same place for 3.49 a sq. The cabinets were custom made by a shop near our house. There is lighting thru all the glass ones and in the stove hood around the curve. All the shelving in them are slide outs and the drawers are all soft close. I have a built in dining room cabinet fixing to be installed as well. He did all of our cabentes and vanities and built in china cabinet for 12,000.00. This was a big savings for us to. We shopped at the big box stores and they were triple this price. There all maple as well. I will see if I can find the names on the tile and get back to you soon.

• zimzim
    15 years ago

Ready for rough-in inspection today. If everything passes, we're ready for insulation and drywall.

We can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.

PS: how do you insert pics into posts? The instructions given are as clear as mud, unless I'm reading the wrong instructions?

• cursivesailor
    15 years ago

Marchell- Thanks so much. Its a style thats pretty common in this city. Sorta craftsmany. I cant wait til they finish the front columns, then it will really look complete from the front.

• bamagirl2009
    15 years ago

I am green with envy seeing how well everyone is doing! We just had a major set back. They were suppose to start pouring our foundation today, but instead found out that because of the extreme weather we had our retaining wall had moved 18" and now has to be torn down and redone. Ugh! At least the builder is taking care of that extra cost. Crossing my fingers there won't be anymore big delays.

• Lori Billy
    15 years ago

Ok guys, I uploaded pics to PhotoBucket... Now how do I get them on here?

Here is a link that might be useful: lori's house

• sassync
    15 years ago

All of the homes are looking great, can't wait til ours gets further along.

Marchell, could you tell me the color stain you used on your stairs, it looks gorgeous!!

Thanks so much

• coffeehaus
    15 years ago

Fancypants...check out the thread linked below for instructions on posting photos.

We have indoor plumbing! Toilets, sinks, faucets, dishwasher have all been installed. The soapstone counter tops in the kitchen and 2 baths are in. And our carpenter is working on the wainscoting using more of the reclaimed barn wood. These last few months will seem to crawl as we approach CO.
    {{gwi:1420349}}From Wood, cabinets, counters

{{gwi:1420350}}From Wood, cabinets, counters

{{gwi:1420351}}From Wood, cabinets, counters

Here is a link that might be useful: Including photos in a post

• arleneb
    15 years ago

Main painting will be finished today or tomorrow. The tile guys still need to lay the pantry, but all the rest of the main tile -- kitchen and hallways -- is ready for grout. Bathroom tile and walk-in shower should start Monday. Trim is in progress, doors are hung. The cabinet installation is scheduled to start on Monday and I think the carpeting is scheduled for the following Monday. It looks like we might FINALLY have a house!! Hoping for move-in mid-April.

And one wonderful thing has happened: after loooong agonizing over paint colors, I absolutely love every one that has gone up!! Two more to go, which should be done today, so by tonight I can truly relax about it. I especially fretted over the grey, which is my basic neutral -- there's a lot of it!! It looks great, and I think we'll love it.

I have several lighting fixtures to purchase, one faucet to exchange and another one to buy, and a couple towel bars and robe hooks. I think that's it. It's fun to see these things that have been in boxes for 6 months come together! So far, so good.

It's fun to see everyone's pictures . . . they look great!

• Lori Billy
    15 years ago

I keep trying to post a pic but it just posts the link! I give up! You'll just have to see my house at photobucket. Sorry!

• luckymom23
    15 years ago

We are in the 'DIY' phase right now so things have slowed considerably! Our walls are 95% painted...the trim is started...and our tiling is about 80% done.
    Everyone's homes are looking great and it is great to see some I have not seen before!
    Coffehaus, can I ask about your Soapstone? It has the blue-grey look we want and I have not seen any like that before, does it have a name? Thanks!

Ignore the splotches on the wall, just can't get the right color in here yet! The little 'room' under the stairs will be the dog house. :)

• coffeehaus
    15 years ago

Luckymom...beautiful trim and doors!!
    The soapstone is from Alberene Soapstone here in VA. This particular choice is "Old Dominion" (as in Virginia!), but they also have "Alberene" (little or no veining), "Churchhill" (darker and harder), and some others with more veining. I'm VERY pleased with the product and I think that we will love it's utility in the baths as well as the kitchens. Of course, this is in the un-oiled state.
    As always, love seeing the progress on everyone's houses! More pictures!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Alberene Soapstone

• luckymom23
    15 years ago

Thanks for the link coffeehaus, your counters are gorgeous. If you oil them, please post more pictures yourself! :)

• che1sea
    15 years ago

ronnatalie - wow, wow

• bto24
    15 years ago

Luckymom,
    Your house is looking great. The first picture of your door with the trim is exactly what we want. What kind of wood is it? I can't tell for sure but what are the side and top piece widths? Also, can I ask where you found the combination of the bead and the molding? It looks great.
    Thanks for any info.

• luckymom23
    15 years ago

Hi bto24,
    Thanks, :) The door is knotty alder, it is from Rogue Valley Door. The side trim is 5" (so it is actually 4 1/2") the top is 6" (so it is actually 5 1/2"). We ordered the trim from a local millwork supplier. They have a book with different profiles you can choose. The crown piece-Lintel is F912, the bead piece is F953. I'm not sure the numbers will translate to where you are, but we found them to be consistent with our local suppliers. We are in Oregon. HTH!

• suzienj
    15 years ago

What is your kitchen tile floor? Porcelyn? Maker/style/color? I love it!

• dontknow
    15 years ago

Hi.

Dropping in from a few other forums here and just wanted to mention to you all, that ALL of your homes are just beautiful!

artielange - you have a dream location it appears for what we'd want. How much land are you on?

For everyone - your kitchens and baths cost as much as my entire house! You've all been blessed to have what you have. Don't ever take it for granted!!!!

• artielange
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Dontknow, the house is on a 1/2 acre with 100' of lake frontage on a big public lake with a lot of fun activities. This house is our second home and our primary residence is on 200 acres. A very different feel at each place!

• luckymom23
    15 years ago

suzienj, if you were asking about our tile (it is actually in the back hall)...it is a porcelain tile, 12x12, called 'Ash Creek' color: Walnut, number: AS02. American Olean I think. HTH

• brutuses
    15 years ago

OK, don't laugh. I have some photo's of my brick work outside. I know that's not very exciting. LOL Don't be too critical, it's DH's first attempt at bricking and I think he's doing a pretty good job.

{{gwi:1420355}}

{{gwi:1420356}}

• eventhecatisaboy
    15 years ago

Brutuses, no one would ever laugh at your house! It's lovely and your DH is doing a great job! I love your house and your choices. It is a true labor of love and it shows! One of my favs!

Everyone's homes look great. I'm green with envy...just in time for St. Patrick's Day!

• brutuses
    15 years ago

Eventhecat, thanks so much for those compliments. I appreciate it and will surely pass them on to DH. He of course loves to hear his hard work in not in vain.

• mdev
    15 years ago

Builder says we'll be in by May- we'll see!!

• okinawan
    15 years ago

Electricity is due on next week and they say we're about a month out.....I'm keeping my fingers crossed...here are a couple of "progress" shots. Oh, and the tile guy comes next week for the install!! YAY!

Interior:

Front porch:

Exterior, before all the pickets were painted white!

Fireplace and tile that will be the surround!!

• Ron Natalie
    15 years ago

WHOA OKIWAN

That looks real nice but that last picture looks like there's a sheet of DensArmor PLUS there in the hearth that looks like it's going to get tiled.

THAT'S BOGUS. DensArmor, while water resistant is wall/ceiling board. It's not approved for floor installation and it's the WRONG product for this.

That should either be concrete board or GP's DenShield product.

• okinawan
    15 years ago

Thanks for letting me know. I *THINK* it's only in there to keep that space clean (?) until the tile is installed. The tile is 3/4" thick and the tile guy hasn't even been there for installation yet. BUT, thank you for the heads up and I'll ask about it. I know they put that stuff downstairs (under the house) on the ceiling.

I will ask! Thanks again.

• okinawan
    15 years ago

Ronnatalie,
    Just as suspected--the builder just cut that piece from the leftovers of downstairs to level out the floor until the tile installations occurs. Thks again!

• Ron Natalie
    15 years ago

Ok as long as they remove it.

It's fine for the ceilings and walls, especially in the basement. I've done my entire basement in the stuff.

• tnkcfan
    15 years ago

We moved in Jan. 17th. Just now getting a chance to share my pics. We broke ground April 19, 2008, but had no contractor, so it took a little longer. Any advice on what I can do to the front of the house? It just looks like it needs something. We don't have any landscaping yet, so I know that will make it look better, but do you think I need shutters? Does the front door not "go" w/ the house? Should I paint it a different color? I don't know!! Any advice is appreciated!

{{gwi:1420361}}

• kelleg69
    15 years ago

mdev, what is that tile? I really like it!

• bto24
    15 years ago

Plastering is done. We have 2 bedrooms to paint and roll on a sealer for the plaster with color added....then the flooring will go down!!! It looks like a house now.

Here is a link that might be useful: Building Trades House

• brutuses
    15 years ago

tnk, congratulations. Looks beautiful.

• cursivesailor
    15 years ago

TNK - Where did you get your bathroom mirrors? Thats exactly what I'm are looking for, but cant find them anywhere.

• megradek
    15 years ago

cursive: just saw some like that at TWO places (I've been on the mirror hunt myself! :) Target and HomeGoods!!

everyone else's homes look fantastic! chug, chug, chug, chug........

• howmuchlonger
    15 years ago

Here are pictures of my "someday house" lol My user name is "howmuchlonger" because we have been building our house out of pocket for over 4 years now. We are in the process of getting a loan to finish it off. The basement outside walls are split face and he will use split face for the quoins with brick (burgundy) in between the quoins. My husband is a brick mason, so I'm trusting his judgment on how it will look. lol Every wall in the house is brick, they will be sprayed with knock down.

This is the front of the house

This is when you walk in the front door (Dinning room to your left) there will be a big brick arch walking into the living room (the opening on the right) the other opening to the left goes into the kitchen.

Living room (those brick are not the actual fire place front brick) trying to talk DH into a rock fireplace, he hates laying rock, but I think he is going to do it for me :)

Back of the house

veiw from back porch

• tnkcfan
    15 years ago

cursivesailor - got my mirrors at Hobby Lobby

• jillie731
    15 years ago

Well...we broke ground Oct 27 2008 - Hoping to be in by May.

We are sheetrocked and tiled....trimwork hopefully by the end of the week and kitchen next week.

• marchell
    15 years ago

sassync sorry to get back to you so late but it is mini wax provincial. Oh all of these homes are just beautiful. I love seeing everyone elses taste.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

howmuchlonger, hang in there. It took us 6 years. It will happen, believe me.

• howmuchlonger
    15 years ago

Thanks Brutuses!! Its nice to hear I'm not the only one. :)

• robert.modular
    15 years ago

Maybe this look?

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo

• coffeehaus
    15 years ago

SPAM alert! Robert.modular also posted the same thing on another thread.

• tdog_1973
    15 years ago

I'm always comin' in at the tail end of these posts! Builder is promising the end of the month...that's only 8 days!
    Still have a bit to go! Broke ground Sept. 27th 2008. We are almost at the 6month mark.

Hardwood is down--HANDSCRAPED WHITE OAK...Amish built Cabinets are going in, a couple yet to be delivered. Kitchen counter top will be templated this week. Fireplace stone starts Monday! Carpet hopefully arrives early this week!

Master Bath Cabinets are in!

Main Bath

Doors and trim are finished!

DD's Lime Green room

• Lori Billy
    15 years ago

We are almost done. My lot was graded this weekend but I haven't gone out to check it yet... Tomorrow my wood floors will be stained so I won't be able to enter house for several days. Every entrance into home is on wood floors. I can go in a window I guess, lol. Friday, March 27th my carpet will be installed in the bedrooms and play room. Still need landscaping, exterior trim paint, and mirrors in bathrooms. Other than that, it is just the punch list items and then we are done. Hope to move in on April 10th. I have pics on photo bucket.

• kcthatsme
    15 years ago

howmuchlonger - Would you please email me and let me know who you are getting your loan from?

Thanks,

Kristen

callmekc@hotmail.com