SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amylou321

Popcorn ceiling?

amylou321
last month

Have any of you removed a popcorn ceiling yourself? Was it easy or a disaster?

I want to paint our walk in closet jet black. I find the off white color it is now is drab. And also find it to be rather stark and jarring when I walk into it fresh out of sleep. But I think it would look odd with a white ceiling. Trouble is, we still have the original popcorn ceilings throughout most of the house. While the "look" of popcorn ceilings do not bother me enough to make an effort to remove them just because, I am dead set on not leaving it white and I am trying to see if it would make a bigger mess trying to paint it as is, or removing it first.

My BIL is contractor and I could wait for him to do it or he could send someone to do it for me but it would be a long wait and he tells me it is really no big deal to do it myself. Of course, nothing of the sort is a big deal to him, its what he does, so I am unsure. I have a vacation from work coming up in a couple weeks and I want to tackle a few small tasks like this while I am off. I will already be doing a big deep clean of the house so while I have the closet emptied I figured I might as well do it then. Its not a huge closet, but I think it will probably take all day to do it, but I think a small change would make a big impact here. I may not paint the ceiling black too, though I might, but if I paint the walls black the ceiling will NOT be staying white. Maybe a deep purple or something. (my preference would be pink EVERYTHING, with GLITTER, but I have that man to consider, so I will resist....for now.) I also hate the light fixture in there, but THAT will most definitely have to wait for BIL, I do not play with electric things.

Comments (27)