SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacquelyn_marie8493

Worth expanding front porch by 3'x5' (uncovered) for furniture area?

Jacquelyn Marie
last month

We need to re-build our deteriorating wood front porch. I have been debating whether it would be worth it to extend the left side of it by 3' to add a small sitting area with 2 chairs or a bench. We live in a nice, walkable, urban neighborhood and I am jealous of my neighbors who have porches large enough to enjoy sitting on them on nice days. This is the largest I can extend the width of the porch without colliding with the bay window. We do not have any existing shrubs where the expanded porch would go - it is dead, unsuable space in the front yard.

The current porch is 7' wide and 5' deep. I am proposing to extend it 3' to the left, resulting in a new front porch size of 10' wide and 5' deep. This left-side extension would not be covered by the roof. We had a new copper roof built over the front porch a few years ago and it would be costly to re-do that part again. My proposal is to re-build the larger front porch in mahogany wood to 1) match the front porch ceiling re-built in mahogany when the cooper roof was installed and 2) minimize future upkeep (clear sealing only needed every year or so and no staining required to achieve nice dark color).

This is a historic home in the Boston area and unfortunately to make this minor enlargement to our front porch, I need to get stamped plot plans and structural plans.

Has anyone expanded their front porch and can tell me if it is worth the hassle? Is a 3' x 5' expansion too small to be worth it even though theoretically, it could hold a 2-person bench? Is making a front porch asymmetrical a bad idea from an appearance standpoint? (though at least the porch roof would still be symmetrical around the front door)

Comments (14)