SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_16331601

front porch reveal...

User
13 years ago

Well there are still things to do but they are fun things so that is OK. I ended up with 2 coats of paint on the ceiling. I used a long handled roller and a thick napped cover for rough surfaces. When it dried I saw that I was still going to have to touch up between some/not all cracks. I have done some but my neck and shoulders are " plum wore out" so I will finish it soon. I painted the crown myself instead of using the painter. I have a few feet of it to touch up as it took me a bit to get the hang of edging...has been a while :) I felt like a pro when I finished !

I got 4 antique wicker chairs today so I now have a job of stripping them. Have read up on that and called someone that does it and they had great hints so when I get a little time LOL I will get to it.

They need new seat covers/cushions but I have a treasure trove of vintage tablecloths and I am going to use them. Momma had some great ones and I got a bunch yesterday from a friend. I am going to wrap the cushions not cut and sew so I can change them out when I want. So here is the po'ch...

Again I can't thank you all that have been my cheerleaders. It has made it so much easier to get out there and work. I knew you were waiting...and waiting :) Thank you.c

Comments (55)

• User
    13 years ago

It looks great. Looks like a great place to spend an afternoon with a good book on the porch swing.

• ghostlyvision
    13 years ago

Great job, it looks just terrific! I'd also appreciate the hints you received about stripping the wicker chairs.

• Related Discussions

Thanks Squirrel - front door reveal

Q

Comments (17)
    Les: Thanks for the thoughful feedback. It is funny you mention painting the sidelights taupe, because as the painter was here, I debated about that. I see your point, about the beige being more soft, but I think I will probably have to live with the white for a while. We have so many other projects going on. I will also ponder your comments about the iron balconette. The window is in a two-story foyer, so it is not a window we really look out from the inside, although it does provide great natural light. I mentioned the iron hand railings to my husband, but he said he does not think the area is big enough and it would make it feel closed off, I am not sure. Thanks again for taking the time to help me tweak the look further. Squirel: Thanks for posting the original photos. I saved all of them. Also, thanks for showing Les's suggestions on the taupe trim. Just as an FYI, the trim around all the windows is bright white. It must just be the light that is making them look beige. As I mentioned before, we are finishing our basement. The drywallers have been here since 7:00 a.m., which really surprised me on a holiday weekend!
    ...See More

Stainless apron front sink with ~1.5" sides - reveal?

Q

Comments (1)
    We like to wipe our counters into the sink. With a positive reveal, we would then have to wipe off the ledge made by the positive reveal. We have a slight negative reveal, so that is not an issue for us.
    ...See More

Turning enclosed front porch back into a covered porch

Q

Comments (3)
    Whether you need permits depends on your city/county codes. How difficult it is to return to the original depends on how much framing was added. Start by removing the windows. The only way to find out how much framing was added is to remove the sheet rock. That should give you an idea of any framing added for sheet rock installation and/or how big the old screens were. To replace windows with screens means all the sheet rock has to be removed. Looks some was added to the old exterior. Most of the trim has to go. Not a really good DIY project unless you have some experience in demolition. To have it done may run a couple thousand dollars, and maybe that much more to refurbuish it.
    ...See More

porch rockers for front porch

Q

Comments (4)
    I have two rockers on my front that do not match, works for me.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    13 years ago

It really did turn out amazing! It's all so perfect.

• Oakley
    13 years ago

Perfect! The porch is just like my dh's late grandmother's where we'd sit on the swing on hot afternoons drinking tea.

Too bad there isn't a website like "Save the Pink Bathrooms" for a "Save the Blue Ceilinged (sp) Porches!. lol.

You should be exhausted!

• DLM2000-GW
    13 years ago

It's the quintessential southern porch! I love it!

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You guys are always so great. I really appreciate the cheers.

Thank you Pam and antiquesilver ! I just finished swimming 3/4 mile so the neck and shoulders are way better. The cold water helps.

Prill and Ghostly here is the link to the same info my friend gave me . I was glad to see it again on this site. Reassures me it is OK to strip and spray with water etc. Also glad to know never to use poly on it only varnish...who knew ! The 2 rockers and 2 chairs are really different from each other they are extremely heavy and are the antiques I got from her warehouse at the VIntage Garden place. I had the sofa , it is supposed to be indoor but I use it out there, it isn't real wicker but it is old . The swing is cheepo stuff...would love to replace some day...I have a gallon of the soy gel , it is great stuff.

schoolhouse : you are so sweet...goosebumps...I am glad to have shared the experience with you :) I will never tape either. it is a trick but I now have it and will always paint with a good sash brush and tape be damned LOL.

marti: thank you I read a LOT of your blog yesterday. You have some great stuff there. I stopped and got 2 paperbacks today...just need some time.

fc: your paint sample and wood are going in the mail at the same time as the IRS's stuff ! I am so glad you told me about that paint !!

oakley: I don't have time to be. My DH says the porch is now just like his grandmom's in Meridian MS> high praise. come have some tea.

dlm: thank you that is very very kind. c

Here is a link that might be useful: stripping and restoring wicker

• amykath
    13 years ago

Love it!!!! You should be so proud!

• Valerie Noronha
    13 years ago

I have so enjoyed living vicariously through your porch remodel these past few weeks, learning about haint paint and seeing all the steps of the process along the way. Thanks for taking the extra time to snap and share the pictures. I can just imagine how on a hot and sweltering day, gathering out in the porch would feel so much cooler looking up at the lovely haint ceiling. The wicker is perfect and I love that each piece is different. The swing looks TDF and perfect to relax with a paperback and some iced tea--though you always seem to be on the move, I hope you slow down and get the chance to SIT and enjoy it.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ak: thank you ! I am proud of the job my guys and I did. The neighborhood keeps stopping to watch the process too. They are really supportive whenever anyone wants to fix up their old house.

val: you are going to have to come visit. I would love to share the swing and porch with the great folks on this forum. I hope the pics and details help others. I sure have gotten lots of help here too. c

• User
    13 years ago

Oh wow! It's looking so good! I can't wait to see when it's done, that blue is fabulous!

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

You (and your porch) are amazing!!!!!!!!!

OOO!!!!

• ghostlyvision
    13 years ago

Thanks so much for the link, Trailrunner. I'm hoping to put wicker chairs on our front porch and knowing what to do if it's not new (or in less than ideal shape) is very helpful. :)

• moonshadow
    13 years ago

I love porches! And yours is a great one, so pretty!

• loribee
    13 years ago

Wonderful~~~enjoy this perfect porch!

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

luuki: it does look good ! Thank you , I have a ways to go with the chairs.

cat..when are you and J going to come sit ????? XXOO

ghostly: I told myself I wasn't going to work on them but I am at least going to try a place on one today...will keep you posted.

Thank you moonshadow ! I am glad you like it . c

• Kathleen McGuire
    13 years ago

Get me a fan and a Mint Julep! Lovely, really lovely!

• ttodd
    13 years ago

It's beautiful! Just like the porches of the homes where I grew up! Aaahhhhhh Summer!

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    13 years ago

trailrunner, your porch is ending up being a real stunner. You are doing wonderwork work on it.

• teacats
    13 years ago

Looks so charming!!! Excellent results from all of your hard work!

Can't wait to see the finished chairs and your vintage tablecloths!

WAIT ... this porch NEEDS something .... hmmmmm ....

OH YES!! of course ...... DRINKS!!! LOL! :)

LOL!

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• nancybee_2010
    13 years ago

It's so beautiful. It brought back memories of my grandma's porch too, with birds singing during the day and sitting there at night watching the lightning bugs across the road.

This wasn't in the south, but in the midwest, where they lived in a big old schoolhouse they had converted into a home.

I hope we get to see the finished chairs and tablecloths too.

• User
    13 years ago

Caroline, it is fabulous! What a cheery, warm, comfortably old-fashioned place to while away an afternoon! ::sigh:: I want a blue ceiling now. (Well, I do have the beadboard already ... ;-)) Just thinking about how your neck and shoulders must have felt gives me pause - but obviously, the "pain and suffering" was well worth it!

• cooperbailey
    13 years ago

You have done it again Caroline! just lovely. If the chairs are sturdy- don't strip them- keep them as is with the new vintage cushion covers. Why make them look new?? but that is just me.

• User
    13 years ago

TR (Caroline?),
    Your porch looks lovely. Makes me want to get my rear in gear and get mine ready for use, but gosh it's a bit cold here today so I think I'll stick to laundry. Can't even start recovering the cushions because I have fabric coming from a client today to make some WTs.
    I love your idea of using old table clothes. I have some of my Mom's too, but have already purchased fabric so I'll keep them in mind for some other non-cut project down the road. Maybe I can use them on our sleeping porch when we finish closing it in.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

kmcg: I am ready to skip right to the Johnny Walker with a straw ! You are so sweet and funny...you bring the booze I have ice.

ttodd that is what my DH said too. :)

walnut: thank you so much.

Jan: kcmg is bringing the booze...you come on down ! I can't wait to see it either..

nancy: it seems to strike a chord with a lot of folks...I am so glad. I wish I could have ya'll come and sit a spell.

jen It isn't too bad and the back rub from DH is worth it...so get out your sander and get to work...take pictures ! Thank you !!

Sue you are right I don't want them to look new and there is no way I could do that anyway. It is just that the wicker design is obscured completely on some places so I would like to at least lighten the number of coats. I have started a small place and believe me it is a chore so not sure I will do more anyway. I am so glad you like it...that means a lot .

just : I hope you will take pics of yours too. I have been swimming every day but it is supposed to rain tomorrow and get cooler so that will stop that for a couple days. I only have a little over a week to get everything done...sigh...not enough hours in the day ! I can hardly wait to see your projects...wish I sewed or you lived closer :) c

• User
    13 years ago

I just checked and this whole weekend is a bust with temps in the mid-forties! It's even to get down to freezing Friday night. Glad I didn't plant the veggies yet.
    I wouldn't be able to paint my porch furniture had warm weather been forecast anyway since I've four window panels and some pillows to make for a client. I'm excited to do this project though. The lady I'm sewing for is so sweet. Besides, hubby is still is using our staining room for trim for our home. I think I may need to make my spraying tent in the garage once it gets warm enough if I'm ever going to get to use my new spray gun.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I hope you wear a good mask. I worked a little on the wicker yesterday and I was outside but I didn't take the time to get my mask. I am very very dizzy today and don't feel well at all. I don't know what I have done but I am pretty scared and have maybe made a really bad mistake. Please be careful when spraying. c

• gsciencechick
    13 years ago

Gorgeous! Wow! Congrats on such an awesome space!

• User
    13 years ago

C, you should call your doctor if you're still feeling bad. That is very scary. I'll be praying for you.
    And yes, we have a good gas mask. I rarely work with anything other than water based paints and finishes. When I do it's not with my sprayer.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I feel a little better. I took Ibuprofen and some aspirin to be anti-inflammatories. I have an old neck injury and I think what happened was that my looking up for so many days irritated the nerves and caused the dizziness. DH reminded me that I was getting pretty dizzy before I used the stripper. Also the stripper was really old and he checked it and said it has lost almost all its ooomph. Thank you for your sweet words...but I am going to be a lot more careful .

gscience...thank you !!! c

• User
    13 years ago

Just came back to check on you before I started sewing. I am so very glad to hear you are feeling better and that you will be more careful in the future.
    I had my hubby install an exhaust fan in the basement room where he does the staining because I was worried about him. He kept saying it didn't bother him, but I said whether you feel it or not the oil based polyurethane that you are using is a carcinogen and if you really want to live to be a hundred (he's always said that and his Gramma lived to 99) you need to think about things like that. I've tried to talk him into forgetting the oil based poly finish, but so far not good. The stain and first coat of poly are both water based, but he still thinks he needs the oil based to top it all off with. I don't agree, but I can only convince him of so much....

• cliff_and_joann
    13 years ago

It looks great, the color is awesome and the fan
    is a sweet addition.
    I'm an old stripper (ha,ha) and yes, you have to watch
    the fumes. Glad you're feeling better.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thank you just and joann. I think it was the pinched muscles/nerves in my neck. I am not 10 % but I am taking the day off today. Made bread and deadheaded roses....lunch on my pretty patio with DH and reading a book. YOu guys are really kind and sweet. Good friends. c

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

So cozy and inviting! Good job trailrunner, and I hope you feel better soon. We are about to diy brick floor our front porch but boy is Florida heating up. I come in often to rest/cool off and see what's going on in GW. Looking at your outdoor pictures is a breath of fresh air.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I will be in the Keys on the 27th....not looking forward to the heat. We have had a most pleasant Spring so far. Bad bad weather on the way now though. 2 weeks in a row with tornados. Of course in FL you know ALL about tornados !!

Thank you and I am glad you liked the porch. c

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

We mostly have scrawny tornados except of course those hit en run babies feeding off the hurricanes (hopefully another calm year). I like the beginning and mid Key's but not so much Key West although husband and I did accidentally end up there on biker week awhile back. Oh boy, I mostly walked around talking to myself not realizing at first that husband had stopped and was gawking at the half dressed biker babe's lol. We are going to Mexico this year even though people are giving me a hard time of it due to the danger. Heck, statistically I have a better chance of being murdered in several U.S cities. I don't know if your Key's trip is business or pleasure,but have fun!

• nicole__
    13 years ago

Very nice! Well done!!!

• User
    13 years ago

"I am not 10 % but I am taking the day off today."
    Well I hope you are much better only 10%, but glad you are taking it easy today. I'll be going to physical therapy for an injured neck so I know what kind of pain that can be. I hope you continue to feel better each day.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

haha meant 100 % ...my bad. I feel all back to normal tonight. We have had a huge hail storm and I got some great pics. Will post those tomorrow. DH and I ate on the porch..the blue is gorgeous at night too. I sure hope your neck gets better quick. No more painting for me before the bike trip.

Nicole thank you !! I love love your garden . c

• homeagain
    13 years ago

Lovely! and your street view is charming too. Hopefully warmer temps are on the way so you can enjoy it!

• allison0704
    13 years ago

How pretty! Love the color. A perfect southern front porch.

• User
    13 years ago

Glad to hear that Caroline!
    Well not about the hail storm. We had one a few weeks ago with damage to our daughter's car. Stupid me didn't run out and bring it into the garage because the hail on the side of the house I was looking out of the hail was about pea size. They were larger than a silver dollar on the side of the house her vehicle was parked. Well that's the size they were when hubby got home ten minutes after the storm stopped and brought some inside. I hope you didn't have any damage.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Homeagain. it is chilly this AM...50's. Going down to 40's for a couple nights and then back warmer again. Sun is out though. It is a pretty neighborhood. I am so glad DH picked out and bought this house while I was away 9 yrs ago :)

Allison: thank you ! It has really "grown" on us and looks so rich with the creamy trim color.

just: there are leaves off of the trees that were pretty beaten, all over everything. My roses....sigh...where have all the petals gone ???? I have a huge cleanup to do today. We have dinner guests Sunday so I at least have some time. Hard to sweep wet leaves. I had my truck in the carport and I hope the roof is OK. It was pea sized. I will post pics. I am sorry about your DD"s car...did insurance fix it ? c

• awm03
    13 years ago

Gee, just looking at those pictures makes me relaxed and happy -- like I'm on that swing with a good book, a cold Diet Dr. Pepper, & nothin' else to do :)

Hope you enjoy your lovely porch for many years to come, trailrunner!

• User
    13 years ago

Your poor roses! Hopefully the sun will dry up the leaves so you can sweep them up. We didn't have any flower yet so the only damage was our daughter's vehicle. She's in S.Korea now. I contacted her via Skype and she thinks her deductible is at least five hundred dollars. She's not gotten back to me to tell me whether or not to turn it in. If not we'll try the old ice cube on a hot day trick and see if that pops them out. None have damaged the paint so it might work. Never tried it personally.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

awm you need to come visit !! We have plenty of ice. We do enjoy it enormously.

just...never heard of that trick...very neat. Sorry that it happened though. Roses will live to see another day thank goodness. c

• User
    13 years ago

I've never tried it so I'm hoping it works. I should Google it and see what I come up with.

• moonshadow
    13 years ago

I skimmed further responses but saw where Jen wants to do her porch ceiling & C is having dizzy spells possibly from neck strain. (Hope it gets better, old accident & disc injury will do the same to me if I aggravate it, not a good feeling, is it?)

At risk of repeating myself, for anyone doing high or labor-intensive overhead work, I can't rave enough about a good scaffold. (Bil-Jax is the brand our local Rental Centers carry.) It makes high up, out of reach, awkward spaces a breeze. Cleaning, sanding, painting, whatever. It breaks down for transport, stacks for assembly, securely locks in place. Tho I was finished in a few days, weekly rate was most economical. Think it was about $25/day or $75 for entire week. Used it for our 14' foyer. Worth every single penny!! It put me at eye level with the point where the ceiling and wall meet, cutting in was a breeze, no burning neck & shoulders from leaning backward. No backache from prolonged standing on a ladder. Platform was about 3' x 5' give or take, more than enough room to set supplies on it, walk around and not step in paint tray. ;)

Looks like pic below. Platform height adjusted to fit any rung on the ladder. Adjusts separately at either end, which we did since it was placed on steps. Unlock, slide to adjust, lock in place again. Legs locked too.

{{!gwi}}

• natal
    12 years ago

Carolyn, pulled up this thread in a search. How did the wicker paint project turn out? I'm contemplating painting my white porch rockers a dark color this fall or early next spring. I checked the link you provided. Did you strip yours or just clean the surface and repaint?

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

hey natal...nope havne't done anything. I was gone 2 months on the bike ride . Then got back and it was SO HOT here. We were supposed to leave on a lengthy road trip and that got tabled due to a family problem. Then we took of to see DS1 and DIL and the " grand baby that is on the way".

It is STILL HOT here. I am waiting till it gets Fall . I tried the stripper before I left on the bike trip. It did remove some of the paint but it is tedious beyond words. I am not sure it is worth the trouble. I have gotten used to the way they look I guess :) I got a book on wicker repair from Amazon so plan to spruce up the legs and a few places and paint those and call it good.

If your paint is not caked on, as mine is in some places , then I would just clean and go. I did my other wicker that way and it was fine. Just be sure it is clean and dry and all loose paint is off. Don't spray on too much as that is what ruined the old stuff I have now...way too much paint caked in the pretty openwork areas. Good Luck and post pics...what color are you thinking ?

and moon..I just now saw your post...great piece of equipment !! Will keep it in mind for other pending projects. Thank you c

• natal
    12 years ago

Thanks for the info on the stripper. I wasn't thrilled about the idea. I'm thinking either a dark brown or deep red like BM Cottage Red. I wanted to paint the swing last fall (Cottage Red), but never got around to it. Did you use the Deft spray lacquer for a finish coat on your other wicker?

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH