SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
juddgirl2

Front porch rocking chairs and swings?

juddgirl2
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I'm daydreaming about the front porch waiting for me once we move to our Tennessee farmhouse. I started wondering where I'm going to find the perfect rocking chairs and bench swing to use for that porch.

Any suggestions? Also, I'd love to see pictures of your favorite porch, rocker, and/or swing, whether it's your own or an inspiration photo!

Comments (32)

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Here are a few pics I found on Houzz...

Love the swings that fit a twin sized mattress. I can imagine some nice naps during a lazy afternoon!

Stone Residence 1 · More Info

Front Porches · More Info

Shabby-chic Style Porch · More Info

Avari Swing Bed from Vintage Porch Swings - Charleston SC · More Info

• lascatx
    8 years ago

When we first moved to this house, I had to have white rockers. They were my picturesque ideal rocker and looked like the black ones above -- only white. We had them for at least ten years, but the finish was starting to fail and one splitting. I was planning to repair, sand and paint them when I saw some teak rockers at Sam's Club. We tried one and wound up getting more. They compare favorably to the more expensive teak table and chairs we have in the back, but at a fraction of the price. We had to assemble them, but I think it was simply bolting maybe 4 or 5 pieces together. We like our table and chairs too, so I'd have no heistation recommending Westminster Teak if you want something shipped fully assembled.

We don't have a swing. I gave DH a rocking bench for one of our anniversaries and it was on the end of the porch until recently (it moved to the back porch). We may get one down the road.

You can find a basic rocker at Home Depot, Lowe's or even Walmart -- probably most stores that sell patio furniture. Where you want to shop will probably depend on what you want to spend and ho long you want them to last. If you like teak, know that Sam's will sell out early in the sseaon (we were thinking of adding one more piece but they sold out). We bought our table at Westminster because it was a unique style and size it what we needed. They ship assembled and very well protected -- together on a palette or in a crate as needed. I would have no hesitation buying from them again. They have sales running all the time, and if you are buying a group of pieces, you should be able to get 20-30% off list and sometimes free shipping if you buy early or during a sale.. If they aren't on sale, call.

Enjoy your porch.

• Related Discussions

A porch swing is an important part of farm life!

Q

Comments (8)
    I had one made out oak 6 foot wide a lot room and sleeper are napper with big pillow. Very costly wind chm low tone. Its out in weather 16 foot post and long chains makes good cruiser used about 2 hours aday good weather. Setting in there yesterday late watching hummingbird working in butter fly bush lol. The smell Carolina jasmine come by swing from half way across yard. Pick hand full sugar snap sweet peas for green snack. I enjoy my swing.
    ...See More

Cottage Elements

Q

Comments (19)
    Jumpers?!! How dreadful. It is a wooden trestle bridge and no one has jumped that I know of. I'm providing a link of the area for you all to see part of the unknown beauty of Nebraska. If you want to see the beauty of a state, you must GET OFF THE INTERSTATE! Please go to the photo link beyond the front page as well... http://www.nps.gov/niob/index.htm Nancy, This will be a project house for now. I just love to decorate and the Rancher hates change so I decided to buy a little house that I can decorate to my hearts content. I also want to expand my quilting and sewing and perhaps become a business (custom western shirts anyone?). I'm thinking of buying a long arm quilting machine but may just start taking in hand quilting, will see how my body handles it when I get the new hand quilting frame that I ordered to speed up the process. I love the idea of a fireplace as a couple of you have mentioned. I hand quilt all of my quilts so a lot of hand work and curling up with a quilt in front of fire is a very welcoming thought. The house has an attached two car garage (and a one car detached) that I would like to convert to a sewing studio and I think if would be very feasible to add a fireplace there when the doors are removed and the walls are added in their place. It would have to be a gas log though. Would that count? MeMo
    ...See More

How Can I Keep Front Porch Rocking Chairs Clean?

Q

Comments (1)
    You might try hosing them down in the morning. Painting might make them look cleaner, but when it comes to sitting on them they still have to be cleaned. I finally figured out fixing my deck up nicely was just adding another room which has to be cleaned. The only furniture I have on my deck now is one lounge with removable cushions. I keep the cushions just inside the patio door or in the deck box. When I hose down the deck I hose down the lounge frame. This post was edited by EmmaR on Sun, Mar 3, 13 at 9:05
    ...See More

Porch Swing

Q

Comments (15)
    janniemac, the white supports that you see are 4x4s, but they probably don't need to be that big. The ceiling joists run perpendicular to the 4x4 supports and the beadboard. The joists weren't in the right place for how far we wanted to hang the swing from the back of the porch, so the 4x4s are each lag bolted into two joists and the eye bolts for hanging the swing are in the center of the 4x4s. I think you could accomplish the same thing with 2x4s. Hope that helps!
    ...See More
  • juddgirl2
    Original Author
    8 years ago

lascatz - thanks for the info re the teak rockers at Sam's Club! I love how teak weathers to a silvery gray. I checked online and the rocker has excellent reviews.

I don't have a membership there right now but it looks like there's a store in Franklin so I might want to join once we move.

• handmethathammer
    8 years ago

Ah, a porch! Someone gave us a porch swing for a wedding present. It has been hung at every house except this one. I really want it hung on my back porch (my front porch it too narrow). Mr. Hammer is not agreeing. He hates the porch swing. (Hint, make sure you have it screwed in really well with big anchors to a stud, even if it has to swing to the side instead of out. It fell on one of our guests once, which was embarrassing for us all.)

I don't know where you buy them. A friend bought it off a craftsman.

You can buy rockers at Home Depot and the like, or at Cracker Barrel.

Be sure to utilize a lot of pillows, wooden seating can be hard on the buttocks.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    8 years ago

My dad made the sleeping swing we had at the farm house years ago it was a true delight. We bought one that moved with us to various states and houses, we were at a big flea market in Oklahoma city and there was a man that hand made them and rocking chairs. It was extremely well made and lasted for many years. I won't buy a rocking chair unless I can sit down in it and rock for a while. If it's not properly balanced it's not worth having. It should take practically no effort to get it rocking and it should maintain the rocking with extreme ease. If I have to be physically pushing it it's not a quality product. My grandfather made really great rocking chairs and taught me all about the perfect balance and the joy of a great chair. I really wish I had one of his.

The ones at cracker barrel are terrible, they are not a pleasure to rock in, what a workout if I wanted that I would go to the gym. You want to relax and enjoy the experience. I dream of having a real Sam Maloof rocking chair, a true work of art!

Google Gary Weeks furniture or rocking chairs for inspiration.

juddgirl2 thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • juddgirl2
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, ravencajun and handmethehammer! Your porch swings sound wonderful. If I get one, I will definitely be sure to secure it and use lots of pillows - and hopefully a mattress if I can fit a larger sleeping swing!

Good idea to try out the rockers for comfort first. I want one that makes me want to sit for hours, enjoying the view of our pond and this sunset!

• DYH
    8 years ago

What a gorgeous view!

I don't have rockers or swings to recommend, but wanted to comment on the view.

juddgirl2 thanked DYH
  • juddgirl2
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you, dyhgarden! The farmhouse is a complete fixer upper but the land and views are a big reason why we fell in love with the property.

• Peppapoodle
    8 years ago

I can totally see why- gorgeous views!

Love the Adirondacks under the tree, too.

Yes, you must have rockers and comfy swing. And mosquito magnet for down here in the south so you can take naps on the swing!

What about Cracker Barrel rockers? They certainly get a lot of use at the restaurant and you could inspect how they wear over time.

juddgirl2 thanked Peppapoodle
  • DYH
    8 years ago

I'm not sure your gardening zone, but at my country homes in NC, I didn't have a mosquito, gnat or fly problem. We were outdoors all the time and had a salt water swimming pool. I believe the lack of annoying insects was because I grew these plants:

rosemary

lavender

nepeta 'Six Hills Giant' or 'Walkers Low'

thyme as a ground cover (and cooking), used extensively in sunny areas near the house

patches of oregano were also used extensively as filler in the garden (and for cooking)

There was a natural creek in my woods and I also had a manmade waterfall with a 60' stream. This attracted dragonflies and frogs -- who ate mosquitoes, flies and gnats. The dragonflies really liked the salt water swimming pool, too,

I have none of those plants here at my new city house --first time I've owned a house in a city. I'm going to plant those again as my neighbors here tell me that mosquitoes are a big issue.

Looking forward to your posts about your progress!

juddgirl2 thanked DYH
  • juddgirl2
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, peppadoodle! I haven't been to Cracker Barrel - not sure if we have them in Southern California - but I will look into that.

dyhgarden - thanks for the gardening tip. Love lavender, and often use rosemary, oregano, and thyme for cooking so good to know they might help to keep the mosquitos away. I like frogs and dragonflies too!

We've visited the area in February, July, October, and November and didn't notice too much of a bug problem but experienced unusually mild weather during the July trip so not sure what to expect going forward.

• busybee3
    8 years ago

i have 2 rockers on my front porch and i love them! would love to have a swing too- porch is not large enough!

i changed my wood chairs from white to black- with painted chairs (like anything else i guess!), if they're exposed to much direct sun, they need to be sanded and repainted every couple of years. after doing that a few of times, i'm a bit tired of it!

juddgirl2 thanked busybee3
  • JennaVaNowSC
    8 years ago

Our daughter gave us 2 black Cracker Barrel porch rockers two years ago when we moved into our house in Charleston. In less than two months, the paint blistered and peeled horribly. And they were on a COVERED front porch. CB would not stand by their product. Gave us a run around for several months. Then, finally, said they were having issues with just the black rockers. No refund or other compensation. I finally just sanded them and painted them myself.

I also bought an outdoor wicker set for the covered back porch at Garden Ridge (who changed their name to At Home last year). white setee, 2 rockers, table. NOT inexpensive, but sadly CHEAP iykwim.....that set lasted 2 years then literally fell apart. So now I am on a search for a vintage metal glider for the back porch.

Tnfarm....love that view! by the way, I live about a mile from the Vintage Porch Swing place in Charleston that you posted above. they have gorgeous seings. Pricey, for me, though.

juddgirl2 thanked JennaVaNowSC
  • juddgirl2
    Original Author
    8 years ago

busybee - good to know. I'd love black rockers to coordinate with the white painted brick/siding and black shutters on the house, but not sure I'd want the upkeep of repainting them every few years. Maybe another good reason to go with teak.

I also want to check out the chairs sold at the Jack Daniels distillery in Lynchburg next time we're there. I seem to remember there were rockers made out of whiskey barrels for sale but I wasn't really in the market for them so didn't look closely.

I think DH would like that idea, as I imagine he'll be enjoying a whiskey or two along with a cigar while sitting on our porch from time to time :)

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    8 years ago

jennava - thanks for letting me know about the issues you had with CB and At Home. I can't wait to visit Charleston when we move down south. I actually have southern roots and still have family in FL and GA so I spend a lot of time down there but have never been to the Carolinas.

Maybe I'll check out Vintage Porch Swing if we get down that way, although we'll be on a tight remodel budget so it might just be to get ideas for DH to make a DIY swing :)

• User
    8 years ago

We also bought the Sams Club Teak Rockers and they are really nice. We leave them out year around. And they seem to be holding up well. They come in natural wood but I would assume if you wanted a color you could paint them. We are really very happy with them. We had a porch swing at another house but it was there when we bought it -- an old one.

• OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

Our youngest son made a hanging twin-size swing for their back porch when they enlarged the porch a few years back. It is pretty simple and similar to the one in the photo above. My DIL made pillows for it and a mattress cover. They pretty much use it year-round in Birmingham. If you can find a craftsman in the area, I'll bet you can have one made.

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Martha and outside - I'm thinking the Sam's Club teak rockers and a custom made (or DIY) swing bed might be perfect!

• loonlakelaborcamp
    8 years ago

When checking out rockers, carefully consider the cross bar placement between the front legs. Too close to the floor, you will crunch you heels/achilles tendon when you rock it (especially if the sitter is shorter). Hate getting pinched that way!

• OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

I had to dig around for this, but I recalled a piece about this guy sometime back. He's in Mississippi.

http://www.waff.com/story/27928749/look-around-rocking-chair-greg-harkins-maker-wont-quit

You might not want to use his stuff outside though! The teak sounds great.

There is also a guy who makes outdoor furniture from recycled materials that is in Belvidere TN (near Winchester) in SE TN. I've seen it and it looks good, but not sure he makes any rockers like you want. Lots of Adirondack chairs and patio furniture though. Here is the link to their page. They are often at a lot of home/garden shows.

http://www.glenrosecabinets.com/outdoor-furniture/classic-terrace

• LynnNM
    8 years ago

I'd always wanted a big front porch, a porch fireplace and a porch swing. When we had this place built, I helped design it for all three of my dreams. DH bought me this one for my Mother's Day gift. At first I was going to paint it red, as being in the Southwest, I thought the dryness and sun might be tough on just a stained wood. But, DH and my brother talked me into letting them stain it and it's help up wonderfully all these years since then. It works great for my climate.

I added chairs facing it, so that I can enjoy it with family and friends, but also kept them from blocking my view:

• decormyhomepls
    8 years ago

Nothing more inviting then a beautiful porch. Too bad about Cracker Barrell chairs. They look so nice.

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    8 years ago

decormyhome I agree :)

lynn, beautiful porch and view! I'm glad you were able to get the porch, fireplace and swing of your dreams :) I'd love to have a fireplace in the back patio area. We have a fire pit now and it's great.

outsideplaying, thanks so much for the links - I'll check those out!

eastautumn - you have a lovely porch and rockers. I really like the whitewashed finish! They must be very good quality to have held up well for over 10 years, especially with the different weather you experience. I'll look into Uwharrie!

• Peppapoodle
    8 years ago

You must be moving to the much prettier East TN. I'm in the southwest, By the river-- lots of mosquitos in the summer. Ugh.

I had no idea about quality of CB chairs. My in laws used to have chairs made in Gatlingburg when they went for a yearly conference. I'll see if I can get his name. He also made them additional dining chairs to match the existing Baker chairs. I have the most darling child's rocker they gave me years ago for DS.

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, peppadoodle! We're actually moving to middle Tennessee, just a bit southwest of Nashville.

We were planning on also looking into the Knoxville/East Tennessee area but fell in love with downtown Franklin and Leipers Fork during our first visit and stopped looking then and there :) Can't wait to visit the Smokies though.

• LynnNM
    8 years ago

Oh my gosh, what a small world it is sometimes! Just last week I got news that an old friend of mine bought or opened the Country Boy Restaurant in Leipers Fork! I had no idea Tom was living in Tennessee and had never heard of Leipers Fork before.

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It is a small world! I believe Country Boy changed to Fly South but didn't know it was reopening. Haven't had a chance to try it yet but I'm sure the locals must be happy about that :) I'll definitely have to stop in next time we're down there.

• laughablemoments
    8 years ago

You might try looking for an Amish furniture shop. The one near us sells nice rockers made fromTrex style vinyl decking for minimal upkeep. Amish bentwood rockers are a different story. They are pretty; for years I wanted one. That changed after I tried them out at a friend's house. It was a hair pulling experience I don't want to repeat. My long hair got caught in the slats behind my head-ouch.

beautful views, all of you.

• amck2
    8 years ago

We've had two LLBean all-weather rockers on our uncovered front deck at the lake for the past 3 yrs. I initially wanted real wood, which we had for 7 yrs. Even though we brought them in through winter months and whenever there were consecutive days of hard rain in summer it was unending maintenance to keep them looking nice. Finally, I gave in to poly.

These just need a seasonal power wash for maintenance and they're comfortable for both long legged DH and short legged me ;)

With the coldest days of the winter upon us I'm looking forward to sipping my morning coffee there again!

• User
    8 years ago

What a beautiful view! We live on a small lake and have acreage. The front veranda has two Amish rockers (ebay) and a Mexican-ish bench purchased locally:

The upper back veranda, screen porch has table and chairs. Also a swing bed. The open part has 4 of the rattan chairs and recently I added 2 Amish rockers.

Our lower back veranda has Adirondack chairs and a vintage metal glider.

• juddgirl2
    Original Author
    8 years ago

That's good idea to consider a vinyl or poly product. I love the look of wood but probably wouldn't be so good about regular maintenance to keep them looking nice.

Laughable - ouch re the bentwood rockers! I'll keep that in mind while shopping :)

amck - beautiful water view! I don't think I'd ever want to leave your porch. I'm more of a water girl myself, originally coming from the gulf coast, but we had to sacrifice being close to a lake in order to get the amount of acreage the family would like for horses (DD) and privacy/outbuildings (DH). I'll be very happy with the view of our pastures and pond, but think I would be just as thrilled to live on a postage stamp size lot if I had an ocean view or a beautiful lake view like yours!

Allison - acreage and a lake view? Sounds like heaven! Love your porch furniture - I could imagine spending all day on the swing bed :) Yours has always been my favorite GW home too. I'm so torn between decorating our new place in the warm, European cottage style similar to your home, which I love and is closer to the warm, rustic tones of our current home, or instead going towards the more crisp farmhouse style with the brighter whites, soapstone, and painted furniture, which might be more suited to our TN farmhouse with its white painted brick and black shutters. Maybe I'll find a way to harmoniously blend the two styles :)