SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kenmargirl

Whole Home Remodel: Where to Start??

kenmargirl
last month
last modified: last month

We would love some help on where to start a large total home remodel. My husband and I plan to remodel our 20+ year old home, pretty much from top to bottom. It is approximately 3800 square feet, 5 BR, 2 1/2 bath, in the upstate/Capital District area of NY. The home has many redeeming qualities (gorgeous views and natural light), however we are ready to remodel into a more livable home for us ... additional bathrooms, pantry, rearrange rooms (eg, relocate the primary BR to first floor), add a mudroom, expand the laundry space, reconsider the exterior so it feels more integrated with our surrounding land. Also want to add an additional detached garage in addition to the attached three car garage we currently have. We have two young elementary school children and want to enjoy our home while they're young and growing .. and want the home to transition as we age (we're in our 50s) also. We have a house plan that we love as a conceptual starting point - we are also totally open to ideas. Our current timeline is to move out and start the remodel in early 2026 (de/construction). We plan to move out until the house is done.

Can I get advice on where and when to start with deciding/hiring an architect (I assume that's the best direction to go?), budget planning, timelines ... basically everything? We want to start off on the right foot, with enough time to not feel rushed. Can I also get advice on questions to ask when we start talking with architects? How does the interior design process work ... such as deciding on flooring, kitchen design, cabinetry, etc?

Comments (4)