SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
toronto_veterinarian

another reason to keep bread in the freezer

I've been doing some research on increasing the amount of resistant starch in my diet, to try and avoid glucose spikes after I eat and, hopefully, improve my health and maybe lower my HgA1C. I knew that cooling rice, potatoes, or pasta after cooking changes some of the starch to resistant starch and therefore lowers the glucose spike and improves colonic health. The changed starch stays changed, even after reheating, if you want to reheat or recook it. (Resistant starches aren't digested in the small intestine, but are instead fermented in the colon, feeding the "healthy" bacteria there, reducing the risk of insulin resistance, and reducing colon cancer risks.)

I realized today that the same is true for bread kept in the freezer - the glucose response after eating bread from the baker (or bread box) is higher than eating that same bread if it's frozen first and then thawed before eating.

In some cases, the glycemic response can be dropped by 30-40%. Now I just need to remember to cook in advance. I wonder if it works on pizza from the fridge the next day? Probably.

Comments (41)