SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_954691394

Exterior house design help!

HU-954691394
2 months ago

Hello! I'm working on a new construction and did a first pass of the exterior design in the Hover app and need some advice. First, I'm wondering if the roof line above the garage and across the front porch is too linear. Perhaps a pitch above the front door would help break things up? I don't want to cover the second floor window above the front door too much though.

Secondly, I am realizing that the first floor window covered by the front porch is the only window to the first floor office. Is that going to block the only source of natural light to that room? I love the idea of a front porch, but with working from home, the office will obviously be used a lot. Our house faces south and the front porch is 6 feet deep. Should I consider reducing the depth of the front porch or removing it altogether?

And lastly, we planned to mix in some metal roofing and initially had planned for the roof above the garage, front porch and awning above the middle second floor window to be metal but I'm thinking that's probably too much. Our style is transitional leaning more modern. I like the different element a metal roof ties in but not sure how/where to mix it in.

Also, for reference, I was planning on doing the wider paneling hardy board siding instead of the skinny verticals that the picture is showing but don't think there's a way to change this in the app. But generally, this is the color scheme and look I was going for. Any other thoughts or advice appreciated!

Comments (38)