SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilovetogrow

Hosta Mini/Small 2023 .....................................

I have always stated that I have the power to take any hosta and make it a mini. I do like to keep to the smaller ones as I am pot bound and getting space challenged, again. Tempt me with some goodies today:

Records are making a small come back but people want to rename them Vinyl, as if. Show me your minis and smalls today.

Comments (32)

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    last month
    last modified: last month

'Feather Boa'

'Feather Boa' with pollinator...

'Spider'

'Lemon Frost' - mid-April last year

'Tousled Hair' - a sieboldii/Ray of Hope cross seedling that has mostly fused flowers, I've only ever seen one flower on it that started to open but not fully, it was for want of a term clarinet shaped.

This is it in 2014 and its appearance here lead me to the name...

2019 was the only year I've seen one flower opening, usually they look like this:

'Princess of Karafuto'

'Lemon Lime'

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    last month

Paula, I got a good laugh out of the heating pad and nachos joke……that seems to be me today only older than 50.

Pieter, you are a good writer. I always enjoy reading your posts and especially when you’re sharing information…..now to hostas: Feather Boa has the biggest bee I think I’ve ever seen! Of course if it’s a teeny, weeny flower maybe that’s why. Tousled Hair is a nice green mini…..the flowers remind me of Time in a Bottle. Princess of Karafuto (never heard of this one), I really like nice green color, not too dark, not too light and I love that white rippled, bumpy leaf!

debra

• Related Discussions

will trade mini/small hosta to mini/small hosta

Q

Comments (3)
    Hi Marchela, I know you said the post is closed, but I just thought I'd check, I would love to trade for silver threads and golden needles. I have quite a few minis that I could possibly get an eye or two from, I have an eye of cameo if you didn't get that already. Thanks, Catrina
    ...See More

WANTED: Want mini to small hosta

Q

Comments (4)
    I have around 100 different minis, so lots to trade. I don't have Cat's Eye, it's not a good grower, but have plenty of other choices. I'm looking for Frozen Margarita, Silvery Slugproof, Maui Blue Kittens, and High Noon. I'm located between Iowa City and Cedar Rapids.
    ...See More

Small and Minis - Hosta 'Crumb Cakes'

Q

Comments (2)
    You'll have to tell me if this is a SMALL, which is what I thought it was supposed to be. I sure do like it, but boy is it a vigorous grower! The Razor's Edge Curly Fries 2 in this pot Popo next to a violet, which dwarfs it Tot Tot Angel From Montgomery Kinbotan, very pleasing to the eye have more, but later maybe.
    ...See More

Hosta Flowers 2023 .........................

Q

Comments (18)
    'Fragrant Blue'... and yes, it's fragrant for me. 'Sea Octopus' 'Sea Octopus' rectifolia var. Pruinosa with an unusual whorled arrangement of flowers 'Bulletproof' 'Stained Glass' 'Fragrant Dream' These flowers are on what supposedly is venusta, but they do not look like any flowers I've seen on the web from this specie. I'd love to find out what it in fact is, particularly since it was sporting when I purchased it a few years ago. Yes, the plant does remind one of venusta but I have my doubts. 'Nightlife' 'Amime Tachi' aka Siberian Tiger rectifolia var. Pruinosa...yes, I know, this is not the first picture of it I'm showing but it makes such an impressive showing when in full bloom 'First Blush' 'Tick Tock' 'Spider' 'Ray of Hope' which is fact has stabilized and turned into 'Roller Coaster Ride' and supposedly RoH comes out of laevigata. but it's remarkably reluctant to set pods, never mind seeds. Pieter
    ...See More
  • djacob Z6a SE WI
    last month

Ok my minis and smalls. Similar to Paula, I think I could make any large hosta medium or even small! Maybe that’s the maple tree roots. lol, lol

debra

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    last month

Batch 2:

debra

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    last month

Batch 3:

debra

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    last month

four more

I’m going to pot this to see if it will grow better

I promise, no more!

debra

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    last month

Way to go Debra!

Pieter

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    last month

Haha, Pieter I could post more!

debra

• sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    last month

Paula wrote, “I have always stated that I have the power to take any hosta and make it a mini.” That cracked me up! I think I have that ability, too. Just deny water! And in the Flowers post, I thought it was so poetic the way you said the flowers “flirt with the bees for attention.”

The first pic of the cat under the lights is funny! They are so good at finding the most interesting places to sleep.

And I’d forgotten what a talent it took to land that little needle in just the right spot so you didn’t scratch your records. My niece was thrilled to take away an old record player and lots of “vinyls.” Her great find was my decluttering!

So many cute minis! I’d like to grow more, but they get swallowed up in my landscape, and keeping them alive in pots has been challenging for me.

Dragon Tails – not the best photo, but I wanted to join in!

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    last month

I didn’t catch High Zero immediately..but when I did..that’s hilarious 😂..

everyone’s minis are adorable..

the smallest Blue Mouse Ears on the thread..I moved it and it fell apart..so I planted them separately..

my minis were posted under letters so I’ll share a clump of daffodils from today..can’t wait to see the blooms..

note to self..take pictures of Little Wonder this year..

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    last month

Ann, BME is a survivor…..if it doesn’t do well in the ground the year, why not pot it for a season? Daffodils look wonderful!

debra

last month

debra..thank you!..I think you have the most minis!..I didn’t know there were so many Mouse Ears varieties until seeing your alphabet photos!..I have BME in front and back..I wish they were up so I could count them..I’m kind of curious!..I replanted one that heaved but have never lost one..they are tough little things..I don’t mind their size as long as they survive..

some crocus..so little and cute..

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    last month

Paula a steady hand was needed for getting that needle just right.

Pieter I too had not heard of 'Princess of Karafuto'. It and Tousled Hair (great name) are very cute!

Debra you have quite a wonderful collection, so impressive. I hope your TWB does well for you!

Lisa Dragon Tails is terrific! What a great way to declutter and maybe be able to revisit some if the urge hits.

Ann that is the sweetest BME I ever saw! Your others are doing so well. Wow your Daffodils & Crocus are so far ahead. It won't be long before you have colour!

Appletini

Blue Elf

BME

Cracker Crumbs

Crumb Cake

Curly Fries

Dinner Mint is considered a very small.

Dixie Chick

Frosted Mouse Ears

last month

2nd bunch.

Funny Mouse

Giantland Mouse Cheese

Gold Drop

Hands Up

Holy Mouse Ears

Itsy Bitsy Spider

Ladybug

LS Down Sized

Mighty Mouse

last month

3rd.

Mini Skirt

Oze

Plug Nickel

Ruffled Mouse Ears

Stiletto

Snowstorm

Teaspoon

White Dove

last month

Last couple.

Whatever this not venusta turns out to be.

Winsome

Woodland Elf

Lemon Frost

Lemon Lime

ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida thanked peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    last month

Laurie..I take it back..I didn’t count but I say it’s a tie between you and debra for the most minis!!..debra has more that aren’t posted and you probably do too!..😃

I agree tiny hosta are sweet..

seeing the bulb foliage has given me a big lift..

great color on Appletini, Crumb Cake and Giantland Mouse Cheese..
    Lemon Lime makes me think of Clausa..😮

debra..love the color of GL Peeps..

I’m a sucker for yellow in the spring..

Beth’s yellows caught my eye too..

my crocus are blooming this morning!..something (squirrel grrr?) ripped off some petals..

• Beth - Michigan 6A
    last month

Paula, I love the coniferous plants joke, it is the perfect spot for a cat to lay.

I love seeing all the mini's today, they are fun plants to tuck away in spots.

Alakazaam

Bitsy Gold

Blue Mouse Ears

Cracker Crumbs

Dragon Tails

Frosted Mouse Ears

Funny Mouse

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    last month

Lisa, Dragon Tails is a cutie…..so tiny!

Ann, one can not have enough BMEs! Crocus are so cheerful, mine are showing their green but no flowers yet. Whoever “tried” the crocus seemed not to like it because the leaves are still lying there…..that’s a good thing! 👍🏽 Also, check out the Rawson’s list for Mouse Ears hostas, you’ll be shocked to see how many there are…..

Laurie, for once I could hold my own with you! The extra ones I could post are smalls, rather than minis. You have a great collection…..as usual I drool over your Ruffled ME, I must get Dragon Tails…..it always looks great in everyone’s garden…. GL Mouse Cheese is a cute one (like all the mouse ears)….love Oze with that white margin, how did you get your Stiletto to wrap around that blue hosta? It looks so cool!
    I will have a party the day my RME gets as big as yours, lol……and Not Venusta has such a tall, skinny petiole——it’s surprising it holds up the flower! I’m sure you have more as well,please share more if you can. I notice not many of us are on this thread.

Beth, Alakazam is a nice one, love the love the long leaves! Your garden bird looks like it’s eating Bitsy Gold…..lol…..and your Dragon Tails looks beautiful, soooo bright! Nice collection of Mouse Ears too!

debra

last month

Ann the most important difference between clausa & Lemon Lime is that LL does not spread in that outrageous manner. LL simply expands as a clump and is not aggressive in any way. I think you would really enjoy it. I hope those pesky squirrels leave your wonderful display of Crocus alone from here on out.

Beth Yes Alakazaam & Dragon Tails are terrific. Bitsy Gold is a charmer too.

Lol Debra, we do love our minis! I went off Rawson's lists of mini and very small. I may have missed the odd one but I think not. RME is a fast grower so it should take no time at all for yours to catch up, and I look forward to it. Thank you, that blue is an interesting seedling that popped up in front of Stiletto. I am having a tough time to nail down the parentage and doubt I ever will. There are just too many possibilities. It was nice enough that I left it nestled in that spot.

old_dirt Sunlight Child is a nice one that I don't recall seeing before. Surfer Girl always catches my attention along with Little Sunspot. They are so darn cute.

Little Aurora is one I neglected Debra.

last month

Laurie..I’d like to try LL..yours is so healthy and spreading well I decided to make a joke!..good to know that it’s not as crazy as Clausa..👍

darn squirrels..I saw a few more torn petals today..

life just isn’t perfect is it?..

last month

No Ann it never is. We just have to make the best of what we get......and I would say we all do a great job of it!

last month

more blooms..

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    last month

Ann, mine opened two days ago

debra

• sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    last month

Laurie, your lemon lime always looks good. Have you divided it to make all the clumps? It’s a good look!

Old_dirt, your hostas look great this year! They look so healthy and in perfect shape. I can’t believe you had cutworm damage early on. Of course, I like the wavy edges of your Surfer Girl.

Beth, Cracker Crumbs looks so tiny and cute next to that big plant label.

Ann & Debra, it’s so good to see the Crocus. Those are my first flowers in spring, so I’m watching for mine to make an appearance.

Ann, you have a lot of squirrels so I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re the culprits, but I have seen Goldfinches picking at the leaves of my Crocus in the past. But it was only the yellow crocus that they went for. So funny they picked on those.

I wish I knew the reason they like to shred the yellow petals. Did they see them as a rival and were jealous of their bright yellow color? Or by eating them, would they become a brighter yellow color to attract a mate? It left me wondering. :-)

last month

Thank you Lisa! I originally planted 5 small ones and they grew so well. I have since had to remove some from the back where they were crowding June. When I dug they pretty much came out as separate plants so really easy to spread them around if that is desirable. They are very well behaved just keen to expand in an orderly fashion.

last month

sandyslopes..I’ve witnessed squirrels damaging lots of different plants 🙁..pretty sure it’s squirrels..but we do have wildlife (chipmunks, rabbits etc) so it’s possible the squirrels are innocent..
    I’ve seen goldfinches here but not lately..
    debra..have you ever had crocus damage?..

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    last month

Minis heave for me. But that are sooooo cute! Crumb Cake, all my true minis coming in last year under protective mesh, Teaspoon and Coconut Custard among friends, and my new carnivorous plant garden (in frost-resistant pot on a stand under a basket). Sigh.

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    last month

Ann, I have such a tiny patch that I never planted. They are only a handful and critters don’t seem interested in them. I may have squirrels digging all over the yard but they have never bothered the crocus. Go figure…..of course my neighbors feed the birds so they are always looking for food there. 😂

debra

last month

debra..I have a few crocus in spots that I know I didn’t plant..the vandals don’t eat the petals..they just rip them off..
    oh well..not worth it to hire a security guard 😂..

• romanszone8
    last month

my crocus have come and gone now but my hosta babies are arriving!!!

I wish I would have kept my tags. Great advice here and i see so many varieties i want to add to my hosta garden. Starting with curly fries and teaspoon! 😍