SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathleen_smith6227819

Do you think it's less safe today than it was decades ago?

Kathsgrdn
last month

Someone mentioned in another thread that it isn't safe for kids to play outside unsupervised. I think if you watched missing person cases (cold cases in particular) you wouldn't think that it's any different than it has ever been. I remember being free to roam my neighborhood in San Pedro, CA all day long. Half the time my mom wasn't even home when I came inside to grab a sandwich to eat for lunch. My dad was usually "out to sea", as he was in the Navy.

I remember once riding my bike on our street, in Navy housing, and a car pulled up. The man stopped and stared at me, his passenger window was rolled down. I was waiting for him to pass so I could pedal up the street. I saw something that didn't make sense to me until years later. I was alone that day, no friends around. No adults anywhere to be seen other than this creepy man. I think I dodged a bullet that day. I was only 7 or 8 years old and small for my age. Not sure if I could have gotten away from him. He sat staring at me for what seemed like forever. He finally drove off. I just remember being so confused and I guess that's why I still remember it.

I think this stuff is more noticeable because of the instant news we have, internet and alerts we get on our phones. What do you think?

Comments (65)