SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_339647040

I’m going to look 25 soon.

Jilly
2 months ago
last modified: 2 months ago

KIDDING.

I’m in a kind of facial anti-aging products rut, so am trying a couple of new-to-me products that are reasonably priced —

I’ll start slow with the retinol, but I usually don’t have any issues with it. I just finished a bottle of The Ordinary retinol serum and used it nightly with no peeling or irritation.

I’m sticking with my tried and true Neutrogena Healthy Defense Moisturizer with sunscreen for daytime use.

Have you tried anything new lately?

Comments (69)

• Jilly
    Original Author
    2 months ago

That sounds dirty.

• DLM2000-GW
    2 months ago

Something I learned about tretinoin from the aesthetician I see is you don't have to work up to using it nightly and can still have significant benefit. I mix it with my night time moisturizer (Eucerin anti-wrinkle) and use it 2-3 times/week. If I'm too red or peeling I back off and I think it's working well for me.

Jilly thanked DLM2000-GW
  • Related Discussions

Have you ever said 'I'm tired and I'm going in, just as soon ...'

Q

Comments (15)
    ... All the time. I never seem to know when to stop, even with hubby calling out the door "Time to come in now". When it's hot I pin a pillow slip with crushed ice in it around my neck. When it gets dark I turn on the outside lights, but try to come in by 10 PM so the lights don't bother the neighbors. I'd rather be outside than inside any ole' day and gardening gives me an excuse to be there. Incidentally, for insect bites Bob happened to notice that HEB brand antibiotic ointment has a topical pain reliever in it so it stops the itch of mosquito bites very nicely. Maybe other brands have it too. Well, almost time to put the rolls in the oven. My computer is right next to the kitchen so it's easy to take a little rest from cooking in that chair :-) Wishing you all a blessed Easter Sunday ...
    ...See More

I'm never going to find a house! I'm too picky.

Q

Comments (22)
    Hello, been lurking a bit. Lots of good info here, thanks. FWIW, I agree that if the things you can't change are right and there is room in the price to do the rest ... thats a pretty good place to be. I knew the minute we walked into our current home, it would be ours, more than 20 yrs. ago. We had looked at a few dozen as I recall but the search was over when we got here. Since then we've added several investment props to the pile and since last fall have been looking for a new joint for us. Found an REO that is the only house of hundreds that can tick off every item on our list. Trying to convince the bank that they should stop holding on to it has been frustraiting, aggravating, stressfull etc. but now it is finally fun. They are offering counters in less than 24 hrs. and moving proposed closing dates up. Still not moving as much in price as they'll need to yet but it is vast improvement. Guess submitting the roofing bid and the well test did the trick :-) It kinda feels like I'm the lone bidder. Its got great bones and for us, a great loc. (acerage close to where we need to be). Its way more than we need but the lot, loc. and subdivision are pretty near perfect. Some minor damage from the eviction but I'm pricing that in and will order the full blown insp. once we have a deal. I was at the auction, I know the number ... they might get it but I'm thinkin not. There is a lot of inventory out there.
    ...See More

I'm so excited....my kitchen will soon look like a kitchen!!

Q

Comments (2)
    Congrats! You must be very patient to be able to wait that long for your house to be done! I'm going nuts and it's only been 7.5 months! Take lots of pics when the cabinets arrive! Patti
    ...See More

Only 25 today, yea! I'm done! Are you?

Q

Comments (8)
    We have 300 kids, two separate pool areas for various swim teams from 7-10:00, going on, They do a good job herding them out of the lap pool, for us ladies, at 9:30. Always glad when school starts to we can reclaim the big pool! Then we have to get out as the lappers are standing there waiting on us to get out, as the lifeguards starts putting in the lap ropes as soon as class ends.
    ...See More
  • Judi
    2 months ago

Allison recommended it years ago, and I bought it and it stares at me from my cabinet.

I used it and loved it. A month or so after ordering from Blue Mercury I got a weird email saying the site might have been breached. I never re-ordered.

Jilly thanked Judi
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Interesting, DLM!

Which Eucerin do you use? I’ll add to my file. :)

Judi, ugh, I never have gotten that e-mail, that stinks.

Just remembered — my last order (last Nov) was from Big A.

• Sueb20
    2 months ago

I saw this recommended somewhere and put it in my A cart, but that’s as far as it’s gotten because $$$. Anyone happen to be familiar with it?

I have skin ceuticals C serum because I haven’t found anything better. Like Outside said, it’s a splurge but lasts a long time.

Jilly thanked Sueb20
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Sue, I’ve never seen that, hopefully someone knows!

• OutsidePlaying
    2 months ago

Sueb, I used fhe DEJ eye cream a good while back although it was not in a container like that so it may have been reformilated by now. I didn’t see a big difference in it (went thru 1-2 jars/tubes iirc) compared to whatever I was using at the time, which was probably a Bobbi Brown eye cream that has now been discontinued.

I do love Revision Intellishade tinted moisturizer though. I have used some other products from Revision that I did like but liked more inexpensive things just as much.

That is what is frustrating. You find something that works for you for several years and then the company discontinues it.

Jilly thanked OutsidePlaying
  • jill302
    2 months ago

I use the CeraVe PM and have been happy with it.

The new product I have been trying is Clinique's All About Cleaning Foaming Cleanser. I received a complimentary full size tube with a Clinque purchase over the holidays. Doubt I ever would have selected this cleanser on my own, overall Clinque's skin care has not been for me since my 20's, but I love this. It really helps my skin retain moisture overnight. Plan to buy more when I run low,

Jilly thanked jill302
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Jill, thank you, glad to hear you like CeraVe.

I’ll make a note of your cleanser — Neutrogena discontinued the cleanser I’d used for decades.

• bbstx
    2 months ago

Scolling down, so this may have already been said. If you use Vitamin C serum, buy it in small quantities and keep it out of the light as much as possible. Exposure to light causes it to lose its potency. You want L-ascorbic acid not ascorbic acid.

The aesthetician who does my facials tells me to apply skin care products from thinnest to thickest. However, if you use a facial oil, it goes on last.

Jilly thanked bbstx
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Thank you, bb … do you think it (vit C) would be ok in the refrigerator?

That’s interesting what your aesthetician suggests!

• bbstx
    2 months ago

If I have a fresh bottle of Vitamin C serum and I’m going on vacation, I put it in the fridge. (I travel with only moisturizer). For every day, I keep it on the counter in the bathroom. I have to be realistic. If I had to walk to the kitchen to get it 2x a day, it wouldn’t get used.

Jilly thanked bbstx
  • Allison0704
    2 months ago

Jilly, I started using the Neutragena Vitamin C capsules a year ago. Bought a bunch when on sale about 6 months ago. None of the bottles have gone bad. I store in a dark bathroom cabinet drawer.

I haven't used the M61 in 2yrs!

I have used Principal Secret for decades. Have the Reclaim Botanical line currently (I've moved up to new lines as they've come out). Always happy with the product. Customize a 10 piece kit and put next order at 6 months. Only downside, you have to call each time you want to customize. I don't know why they don't make it where you can do ONLINE!

fwiw, I tried SkinCeuticals for awhile and did not like. Beautypedia (dot) com used to have details info, but they've taken that down (maybe it was bought out and they changed?) but you can copy/paste, etc ingrediants of a product and hit enter. It tells you if the ingrediants are bad, good, best, etc.

Anyway, about 6 months ago, I started ordering Beekman 1802 products. Will change to their Vitamin C once my Neutragena is gone. I like the Beekman products.

One product I do not buy is a facial scrub. I use a tiny bit of brown sugar mixed with a little water. Best scrub I've ever used.

Jilly thanked Allison0704
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Allison, thank you!

Ok, I’ll look again at the Neutrogena capsules. :D

Great suggestions for my folder! I’ve never heard of Beekman — off to look it up after I post.

I haven’t tried brown sugar, but do use a baking soda paste sometimes. Will try brown sugar next. :)

• Jilly
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Terri, I wish. 😄

• 1929Spanish-GW
    2 months ago

Jealous. I have roseaca amd cant use any of it. I have done laser treatment that overall helps my skin, but not my wallet. Right now I’m spending my money on Invisalign.

Jilly thanked 1929Spanish-GW
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Spanish, I’m sorry — I know roseacea can be frustrating.

• bbstx
    2 months ago

1929, I’ve already done the Invisalign and now I’m looking at the roseacea treatment. One of DD’s co-room-mothers is a plastic surgeon. For Christmas, DD gave me a gift certificate to the plastic surgeon/roommother’s spa to have my rosacea treated.

What was your experience? I have a friend of a friend who had hers done (not the same place I will go) and she said it hurt so much, she’ll never go back. Doesn’t give me a warm fuzzy feeling about it all.

Jilly thanked bbstx
  • 1929Spanish-GW
    2 months ago

It wasn’t bad at all, but i think she used a low setting because my skin is so sensitive. Same doc tried to laser veins in my ankles - they are a total mess - and the strong/normal setting left marks that lasted a year😳

• Allison0704
    2 months ago

Jilly, I will say the only Beekman product I use sparingly is the Smooth Booster Willow Bark Exfoliating Serum. I only use where I think I need and not daily after the first week. I started looking very pale. While its page does say it is suppose to do this, that is the result I had.

Also, they constantly have sales. I've also bought products (bunlded pair) on HSN for less than their website. I like that Beekman started offering a large size with some of their products. btw, a little goes a long way with the serums.

Jilly thanked Allison0704
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Thank you, Allison!

• hhireno
    2 months ago

I’d be happy to look 45 again. It is so hard to figure out all the right products, and I have sensitive skin so trying new things is difficult. It’s unfair that something can cause an immediate reaction yet takes weeks to settle back down.

Jilly thanked hhireno
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    2 months ago

hh, I agree — I get overwhelmed looking for products.

When I was a kid, the women in my family used Oil of Olay. They had maybe five products to choose from. :D

• OutsidePlaying
    2 months ago

If anyone is serious about the CE Fereulic, Dermstore has 15% off right now, code SKINC15. And it may be just a tic cheaper at SkinSolutions. Not sure with the 15% off.

Jilly thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Thank you, Outside!

I wish I’d posted this thread before ordering what I ordered … so many great suggestions here. I want to try everything. :)

• Kswl
    2 months ago

Spanish and Bbstx, I developed rosacea about ten years ago. A dermatologist treated it with doxycycline andnit disappeared completely. After trying other treatments as it progressed, we settled on a daily dose of 20 mg of doxycycline, which has eliminated the problem and is a low enough dose not to pose any problems or interactions. It’s also a four dollar or no dollar prescription for most people.

Jilly thanked Kswl
  • Oakley
    2 months ago

Jilly, i've converted to all Neutrogena products. I think it was YaYa who turned us onto one of their products.

Afer cleaning my face I use 2% Salicylic Acid. It's a must because it removes dead skin cells and if you have blackheads on the nose area, they'll clear up soon, and if you have the beginnings of an annoying zit? It begins to go down after one use. I use the pads 2xday.

Neutrogena Rapid Clear Maximum Strength Acne Face Pads with 2% Salicylic Acid

**This has your niacinamide and Vitamin C. No need to buy separate products. I used a C serum and it did nothing. Neutrogena Fragrance Free Daily Facial Moisturizer, Cleansing and Moisturizing for Sensitive Skin with Vitamin B3, Pro-Vitamin B5 and Vitamin E. Niacinamide is also in it. Don't use more than 10% a day.

**This is the best body (and face) moisturizer I've ever used. I have dry skin on my legs and when I skipped it one day, my legs were still soft. Yaya recommended their hyaluronic acid.

Neutrogena Hydro Boost Body Gel Cream, Fragrance Free - Hydrating, Moisturizing, Gel. It comes in a lotion bottle and goes a long way.

You have everything you need above except Retinol. You can't go wrong with Neutrogena.

Jilly thanked Oakley
  • OllieJane
    2 months ago

The best thing about Retin-A is my pores are invisible now-creating much smoother skin. Never realized what big pores were until about three years ago-all of a sudden I saw them! I was like "Oh! That's what big pores are!" Not pretty!

One thing to know about Retin-A, if you get your eyebrows waxed/laminated, your skin is gets much thinner and they have to be much more careful when they remove the wax etc.

Jilly thanked OllieJane
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Oak, thanks … I do love Neutrogena! I so miss the cleanser they used to make. It was absolutely perfect for me.

Ollie, thank you! Just this year I’ve started noticing my pores changing, so definitely want something to help that!

• 1929Spanish-GW
    2 months ago

@Kswl thanks. I started on that and took it for about six months. It did help quell the redness, but neither my doctor nor I am a fan of taking it indefinitely. As long as I stay out of extreme cold and use my products, things stay in pretty good shape.

• straitlover
    2 months ago

Vitamin C - I use this ROC serum in the AM https://www.rocskincare.com/products/multi-correxion-revive-glow-daily-serum. Been getting this at Sam's Club in the 2-pack, cheaper than anywhere else.

Retinol - I usually use RX tretinoin (currently on .5%), however I seem to ahve misplaced my latest tube, so I haven;t used it in awile. Wonder if I left it at the vacation rental Thanksgiving weekend??? Need to get a new tube. :)

Moisturizers - currently using the Olay w/ Niacimimide in it AM and the Microsculpting Cream in the PM: https://www.olay.com/products/niacinamide-peptide-24-face-moisturizer https://www.olay.com/en-us/skin-care-products/regenerist-micro-sculpting-cream-moisturizer The Niacinimide one I ahv eonly bought once, they ahd it at Sam's in a 2-pack with a big discount, and I am still workign on the first jar (aobut 3 months in). I get the Microsculpting at Sam's oo, they put it in the instant Savings every so often for the 2-pack, and I buy one so I don't run out.

Eye cream - Neutrogenna Rapid Repair Eye Cream, tube lasts me a year or more, usually closer to two because I don't use it every night. Get at CVS whenever they send me a 40% off coupon. https://www.neutrogena.com/products/skincare/neutrogena-rapid-wrinkle-repair-retinol-eye-cream/6802123.html

Face wash - Cetaphil (generic usually, name brand if it's on sale) in the AM, CeraVe Renewing SA cleanser in the PM https://www.cerave.com/skincare/cleansers/renewing-sa-cleanser says for Normal Skin, but mine is oily, salicylic acid is good for that.

Jilly thanked straitlover
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Great info, straitlover, thank you! I’ve wondered about several of those in the past, will put them on the list!

It’s so helpful hearing personal experiences.

• Lars
    2 months ago

I've also been taking Niacinamide, but I had forgotten why. Now I remember that my dermatologist told me to take it.

Jilly thanked Lars
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Thanks for chiming in, Lars! How do you take it?

I got the CeraVe lotion today, will use it tonight. The bottle was in a box, but nothing was sealed, which kind of bothers me.

• Judi
    2 months ago

CeraVe PM? Neither the AM or PM are sealed. I've used it for years. Never a problem.

Jilly thanked Judi
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Thanks, Judi. I got it from Big A, glad to know that’s normal. I smelled it and it doesn’t have a weird odor or anything.

• llitm
    2 months ago

One thing to know about Retin-A, if you get your eyebrows waxed/laminated, your skin is gets much thinner and...

It is my understanding that Retin A builds collagen, thus increases skin thickness. However, it can make skin more sensitive which could affect how waxing and other procedures are performed.

Jilly thanked llitm
  • Kswl
    2 months ago

My current regimen is using a cleanser from Moseley every night, followed by either a prescription 1% tretinoin or a Moseley compounded spot cream, followed by Neutrogena Hydroboost gel. I use a separate eye cream from Philosophy. In the mornings I wash my face with micellar water, then moisturize with a Typology serum (that takes at least fifteen minutes to soak in completely), followed by a hydrating primer and then SPF 50 tinted sunblock. I have dry skin and when it flakes from cold weather or as a natural result of the chemicals I use plain old vaseline on those areas.

Jilly thanked Kswl
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Thanks, K! I’ve never heard of Moseley, will check it out.

It was a toss up for me between the CeraVe or Neutrogena Hydroboost gel!

This has all been very helpful; I’m grateful for the recommendations and the sharing of routines.

• Feathers11
    2 months ago

I use witch hazel toner, The Ordinary Hyraluronic Acid, and then The Ordinary Rose Hip Seed Oil. I gravitate toward more basic lines like The Ordinary and Good Molecules. My DS has been using products in these lines for acne scarring, and his skin looks so much better.

I take collagen supplements and hyraluronic acid supplements. I take the collagen for my joints (I notice when I do not take them), and started the HA supplements about 6 months ago. I noticed my eyes have not been as dry over the winter. My facial skin seems thicker and more... plump? Definitely never dry. My neck doesn't seem as crepey as it was starting to become.

I tried Good Molecules' Vitamin C powder that you mix into whatever moisturizer you're using. I was told that Vit C powder is more stable than serums. However, this was a few years ago, and manufacturers may have found better ways of incorporating it into their products.

Jilly thanked Feathers11
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Thank you, Feathers!

I used witch hazel toner for years, it always felt so good. Might have to try that again.

I’m interested in supplements now, after seeing the ones you and others have shared, and will definitely look into the vitamin C powder, too.

• Kswl
    2 months ago

I think I have used EMKTW (every moisturizer known to woman) Jilly, and finally went back to Neutrogena because it does not sit on my skin, it disappears completely. But I worry that for that reason it does not provide any protective barrier, which is why I use the oil-based serum for daytime. I wish there was a really good esthetician who could evaluate one’s skin and the products used on it and give opinions and recommendations — someone who doesn’t sell any products and is not beholden to any skin care company.

Jilly thanked Kswl
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    2 months ago

“I wish there was a really good esthetician who could evaluate one’s skin and the products used on it and give opinions and recommendations — someone who doesn’t sell any products and is not beholden to any skin care company.”

Wouldn’t that be wonderful!

Every article I read gets kickbacks.

There’s better information on this thread than any of them anyway. :)

• OllieJane
    2 months ago

llitm, it thins out the outer layer of your skin, which is why any good person who does "eyebrows" should ask you if you use retinol on your face before using just any kind of wax. My girl has a special wax for those of us using retinA. My eyebrows are at the stage that needs mostly plucking. I go every four weeks.

Jilly thanked OllieJane
  • hhireno
    2 months ago

Has anyone above mentioned the app Yuka to evaluate products? It rates the ingredients in food and beauty products. It can add another layer of help, or complication, to your decisions.

For instance, CeraVe Hydrating Facial cleaner rates Poor 43/100, with one moderate risk ingredient, 3 low risk, and 19 risk-free. L’Oreal Voluminous Balm mascara rated Excellent 93/100, with 1 low risk and 16 risk free. (Those are two I had in my history to use as examples.)

Jilly thanked hhireno
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Hh, I’ve not heard of that app, thanks for sharing!

• Judi
    2 months ago

It was a toss up for me between the CeraVe or Neutrogena Hydroboost gel!

I use CeraVe in the warmer months and Neutrogena's Hydroboost gel in the winter months when my skin tends to be on the dry side.

'

Jilly thanked Judi
  • nicole___
    2 months ago

I thought ya all might like to revisit THIS post. Susan posted a similar thread 10 years ago...and everyone had favorite skin creams.

Jilly thanked nicole___
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Thanks, nicole, I’ll go check it out.