Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

I'll show you mine/you show me yours - Su 1/21/24

2 years ago

Themeless free for all Sunday!

-------------------------

Please post one's own photos, not pictures or memes pulled off the internet, facebook, twitter, etc.

Give credit where credit is due.

See guidelines here

Comments (29)

  • 2 years ago



  • 2 years ago



  • Related Discussions

    I'll show you mine/you show me yours - Su 1/17/21

    Q

    Comments (27)
    Mom crocheted these a couple of years before she passed away, but never got around to adding the trim. My daughter needed a baby gift for a girl, so I finished them off yesterday. No reason for me to hang on to them, still it's hard to see them go.
    ...See More

    I'll show you mine/you show me yours - Su 1/24/21

    Q

    Comments (24)
    Two years a good friend passed away. His wife is an artist who works in many mediums. She created this. The bits surrounding her head and hands are the shredded remains of much of the paperwork related to his death.
    ...See More

    I'll show you mine/you show me yours - Su 3/21/21

    Q

    Comments (24)
    Annie, I keep thinking about that puzzle as I work on one that, for me, is hard. I think, "If Annie can do a hard one, so can I!" How long did it take you?
    ...See More

    I'll show you mine/you show me yours - Su 8/1/21

    Q

    Comments (27)
    Summersrhyth - Driving in Pittsburgh can be tricky and not for the faint of heart. That's where I learned to drive and my Father made sure I could handle steep hills with both an automatic and manual transmission. One habit I developed is to use parking break, especially on a hill - and I still do that even though I now live in a fairly flat area. The other trick involved positioning your wheels so that the curb could act as a safety block. So if you were facing downhill you would turn your wheel to the right so that your tires touched he curb, facing uphill you turn your wheel to the left away from the curb. Thankfully our cars all have Hill Assist which helps prevent roll back on a hill.
    ...See More
  • 2 years ago

    @Lars, up early or going to bed late?



  • 2 years ago

    I'm up early because I have a stomach flu, which I've had for the past three days, and I have to get up to go to the bathroom frequently. My brother came down with it yesterday. I fasted for two days but made some soup yesterday, which has irritated my symptoms.

  • 2 years ago

    So sorry Lars. Dry toast and tea with ginger...

  • 2 years ago

    I'm almost out of bread for dry toast. I need to make some ginger tea for Kevin because he has been nauseous. I keep ginger in the freezer.

  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    Lars....I hope you & Kevin feel better soon.

    --------------------------------------------------------------------


    Taken with my cell phone, on zoom.

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Annie...your bird has no feather detail because you need a "good" camera.

  • 2 years ago

    Feel better Lars.




    My shell plant.

  • 2 years ago


    Only four months to go.

  • 2 years ago

    Nicole, I have a new canon sx70 hs and I have been very unhappy with the autofocus which never seems to be quite in focus. And so far, my playing with manual focus, I find controls not fine enough to bring in a sharp focus easily. Very discouraging. Not sure if it's the camera or the operator...

  • 2 years ago

    Lars I hope you and Kevin feel better very soon. These are just a couple visitors I get everyday. I think of my brothers Mike and Bart everytime I see the cardinal. He has a female with him also.



  • 2 years ago

    lars, that sounds awful. hope you are better soon!

    pippin was rather indignant that frank took her spot on the couch. usually when this happens, she will stand at a window and bark. frank will be compelled to jump down and investigate whatever "it" is out there at which time pippin will saunter over and take back her precious spot.



  • 2 years ago

    Sorry to hear you and your brother are sick, Lars. You making ginger tea reminded me that years ago, when I was pregnant with my son, my mom sent me a jar of pickled ginger for my morning sickness. "Morning" sickness that was all day long. Hope you both feel better soon.




    Smoky Pinnacles near Crater Lake.

  • 2 years ago




    Mushrooms


    Lars I hope you and Kevin get well quickly. We had a flu and it took quite a while but we are both feeling better. Dry toast was a saving for us.

  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    @annie....it's the camera.....we need to talk. You have such a good eye!

    Feather detail aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall the way to his butt!

    Annie Deighnaugh thanked User
  • 2 years ago

    Mural on a new brewery that opened recently. Very representative of our city.

    Lars, hope you and Kevin are better soon. No fun to be sick. We’ve been iced in for way too many days and it is treacherous just to walk outside our house. Better yesterday and today but still very cold.


  • 2 years ago



  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    Get well wishes from me too, Lars

    Birds are hard - they never stop moving, and often don't stay long for you to get another chance. I have a lot of slightly blurry photos of birds.

    Flowers are easier 🙂

    Hibiscus



  • 2 years ago

    @annie, can you shoot with a smaller aperture giving you a greater depth of field?

  • 2 years ago

    I suppose I could if I could figure it all out jrb. The whole point of the point n shoot camera is to not have to futz with all that stuff. I have an iphone 15 pro which I LOVE. It is point n shoot and it's clear and it has lots of easy to adjust setting that yield a terrific result. The only reason I got the canon was that it can go up to 65x zoom which I wanted for taking shots of distant animals, but so far the results have been most disappointing. And all that futzing means the animal is long gone by the time I get it figured out.


    Once you take it out of manual mode, there are various "priority" settings such as shutter speed, but then you have to manually set all the rest and it's complicated how to do all that, and if it's not right, then you get nothing. Most of it is I'm sure that I don't know what I'm doing. I really need to take lessons with someone who knows how to operate the camera and then I'd know for sure if it was the equipment or the operator.

  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    Is there an indicator on the viewfinder to let you know when it's in focus? It took me awhile to learn to be patient about that - you depress the shutter button halfway on my Nikon and it will show a red line around the area if it's out of focus, green when it's in focus. It also has some auto settings for different types of subjects - I sometimes use the sports setting for fast moving subjects.

    The manual for my camera is like 500 pages, but I've managed to get through some of it 😁

    My dad was a photographer - even taught it - and I took photography in college, but that was when it was all film.

    P.S. The thing I love about digital photography is there's virtually no limit to how many shots I can take while trying various settings - that and the ability to edit seemingly terrible photos into something good.

    Annie Deighnaugh thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9/10
  • 2 years ago

    @annie, I hear you. We have Trumpeter Swans on our lake today for the first time in ten years. I took this picture with my 13 Pro Max at the greatest magnification. Not very sharp. I was too lazy to get my Nikon, 500mm lens and tripod out in sub-zero weather to get a decent shot.


  • 2 years ago

    A 300mm fixed focal length lens is fine...I do own a 600mm, now THAT is a beast to take anywhere. You need a tripod for sure and for long exposures...a remote shutter switch. There just is NO quick way to get the kind of photos YOU want to LOVE ON unless you have the right equipment....my cell phone is fine...but it's not a GORGEOUS shot...only average.

  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    It would surprise me if your iPhone didn't have a photo mode that gave greater depth of field and blurred the background.....maybe try a portrait mode, or experiment with other modes. I have an iPhone SE2, which doesn't have a fancy camera, so I'm limited with my iPhone and use my Sony mirrorless more. However, this was taken over 2 decades ago with a Minolta film camera.



  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    The longest week of my life. Made it through the storms, plural, without freezing to death, without losing electricity, without freezing pipes, without losing my life (our death toll is now at 25 for the storm in Tennessee, from the storm). I did slip and fall down the last three steps of my front porch, and bruised more than my ego. But I made it through. Today, as all the snow is melting, others in Nashville are having ice dams, but my neighborhood is so old, we all have overhangs. So we are not suffering that, but having a contest to see who has the longest icicles. Maybe three feet? It's too hard to get up there and measure it.

    ETA: just saw it from a different angle. It's at least 4 inches across



    The icicle is the only I can see in the surrounding area that is still hanging.


    And they've upped the number of deaths up to 34. Wow

  • 2 years ago

    TV, I've been playing a lot with all those settings in the iphone to much success. It's the canon "real camera" I struggle with. I think part of it is the intelligent stabilizing in the iphone really adjusts for the shakes vs. the canon which doesn't.

  • 2 years ago

    " intelligent stabilizing in the iphone really adjusts for the shakes vs. the canon which doesn't. "

    I hear you! I've got an intention tremour and need a tripod if I'm using my Sony, or even my iPhone if it's something small and precise. But it still offers so many more options that allow me to do something like playing with light painting for last week's challenge. I'm actually going to stop travelling with my Sony for that reason, and I think my next phone will be a model with a better camera.

  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    @Toronto Veterinarian.....


    This little bird is waaaaaay up in a tree. I cropped the photo. Can you see the detail your photo is missing? My lens has VR = vibration reduction. Prime lenses are just another animal....

  • 2 years ago

    nice feather detail!