SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joan_head

King sized bed in small master BR

Joan Head
3 months ago

I just removed the bedsude tables from this room because it looked so crowded and we never used the lamps. The curtains stayed pushed behind the table. Now it looks bare. Would a floor lamp work or should I use small tables/lamps and replace curtains with roman shades? The room is 13’ x14’ and I

know the bed is too large but we like it. Thanks for your thoughts.

Comments (38)

• Hellogardener
    3 months ago

I would get small side tables. No lamps if you don’t use them.

Joan Head thanked Hellogardener
  • housegal200
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

Design Dilemma 101: Please Show all four sides of the room and draw room measurements. Are there other windows, doorways, etc? Here's how to post a Design Dilemma to generate many options.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6417709/unofficial-design-dilemma-boot-camp

Meanwhile:

Bigger art work and sconce lamps:

West Dry Creek Residence · More Info

Bigger art work plus two pendants (or wall sconces)

Eclectic Maison · More Info

Double rod with bamboo shades inside mount and your white curtains on outside rod:

Traditional Bedroom · More Info

Or run your sheers across the wall and your window.

Dallas, TX: Sara & Rocky Garza · More Info

Joan Head thanked housegal200
  • Related Discussions

Bed Size: King or Cal-King?

Q

Comments (5)
    We had a cal king and it was a PIA to find bedding. I would go with the King, after your eye gets used to it, you won't miss those 4 inches at all. We dropped sizes from a Cal King to a Queen now THAT was an adjustment, but I love being able to stay warmer at night and the bonus is bedding is less expensive. Rule of thumb, function over form. If it will work better for you, go with the king.
    ...See More

king bed in small room kung bed in small bedrm....decorating advice

Q

Comments (2)
    Try the home decorating forum. fir is not hardwood and will not wear well with heavy traffic. In a bedroom it would be easier I think. Are you bed ridden? A king sized bed is pretty large for such a small space. If you don't have any other furniture it could work I think, if you can get the box springs and mattresses through the doorway.
    ...See More

Small bedroom with King size bed

Q

Comments (3)
    My small guest bedroom is 11x11. I had a queen, one nightstand and a small arm chair. That was all that would fit and allow you walk around oth sides of bed. King will be too bid.
    ...See More

Rug Size for King Sized Master Bedroom Narrow Room

Q

Comments (2)
    You can place a smaller rug under your bed with a runner in front, or a single larger rug under the bed, depending on your choice. Or you can even style your room according to the space available in the following 4 different ways: While arranging an area rug under a king-sized bed, "Bigger is Better" is always the best rule!
    ...See More
  • ShadyWillowFarm
    3 months ago

The bed is fine, and if you don’t need lamps don’t add lamps. You don’t have to push side tables against the wall, keep them far enough from the wall that the curtains can hang naturally. I would add a larger piece of art over the headboard and a rug to anchor the bed.🙂

• eld6161
    3 months ago

I agree. Look on Wayfair.

Just a thought. How about pulling the bed over to the right? Then buy one night stand and lamp for the corner? The pictures would then be off center. Replace with something larger, or nothing.

• Lyn Nielson
    3 months ago

I'd replace the curtains with blinds and put a bedside table below the window frame... no problem overlapping the window. if you want lights add sconces or swing arm reading lamps.

Joan Head thanked Lyn Nielson
  • KS
    3 months ago

I love the idea to offset it! Move the bed closer to the window, then you have room for nightstands. No need for a traditional set-up, whatever fits the space and your tastes. Cute side tables would work too.

Joan Head thanked KS
  • Joan Head
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Here are a couple of other views. This is the only furniture arrangement that wil work. The door beside the small chest goes to a closet and the door beside the big piece goes to a bathroom.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 months ago

The issue wasn't the bedside tables!!....it's the far too large drawer armoire combo that is killing what could be a very pretty room

Draw the space, measure and add all possible dimensions, walls,,windows door ways etc

• Kendrah
    3 months ago

Those are some mambo jambo dressers. I get why you feel crowded in there. I assume you want to keep it all. (Who doesn't want a huge bed and clothing storage? I do.)

Do you really not need a nighstand? Books, glasses, phone, water, pills? Do you need a place for these? Really no need for a bedside light? I would use a very small floating nightstand and a wall sconce light. (Not this color but you get the idea.)

Bo Floating Bedside Table, Wall Hanging, Wooden Nightstand With Drawer, Oak · More Info

I'd keep the curtains. I think they add some nice airiness to an otherwise bulky room.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    3 months ago

Love the armoire! You are sleeping in the room, not dancing, so a bed and storage are important. Plus, furniture is really expensive and pretty crappy nowadays, so if you have quality pieces, keep them.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 months ago

Is it relatively important how it looks and feels when you enter?

You're essentially jamming a king bed in a "closet" : )?

Moving a piece of furniture, to another space is not sin. Realizing if it worked in a different home, but not this home and this bedroom? No sin there either.

I'm all for simplicity. But that need not negate beauty and comfort. A sense of welcome of charm, of scale and proportion. Of the function in side table.. a water bottle. tissues when you've head cold..a book or an Ipad or a Nook when you simply can't sleep.

A rug to warm the toes.

I see none of that , in this room.

Up to you!!

Draw and measure, upload and show all the inches of everything , walls windows door closet bath open etc . Or not?!

• L.D. Johnson
    3 months ago

I understand the king size bed, being a restless sleeper married to another one. And that you may well need the clothing storage. If you don't need reading light, I wouldn't worry about lamps. Try a search for "small round end table" and you'll see lots of options. Plenty of them are open and airy and could provide that flat surface next to the bed for a phone, a box of tissues or a glass of water.

• Joan Head
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Your suggestions are so helpful! I know it’s odd but the only thing we used on either nightstand was a clock. The furniture is of good quality and the armoire offers so much storage I would hate to part with it. The ”chest” is actually 2 nightstands stacked on top of each other.

Jan, I’ll submit a drawing tomorrow so please check back.

Again, thank you all for these ideas.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    3 months ago

And Joan, with respect to bedrooms, it’s all the same in the dark.😉

• Joan Head
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Here is my drawing with measurements. ceiling is 8’. I hope this is helpful. Thanks.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 months ago

Life is choices

You have room for side tables. They need NOT match the bed or the creative way you stacked the others into a chest.

Prune to one season clothing at a time - relocate the armoire chocking air, light from your room.

Get an 8 x 10 rug you can love...the room will feel larger and less monastic by far.

Add a bench.....a good spot to toss shams, or a spot to yank on shoes.

Get two pretty lamps....and enjoy the space

Or not: )

But know that you can not jam 100 lbs into a bag meant for 50.....attractively.

Find a different room for the space hog.

Joan Head thanked JAN MOYER
  • Joan Head
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Thanks for your ideas and candidness. All of you have given me much to consider. I’m thinking I need to start with a rug, which I’d never thought would work in this little space, and move forward from there. I’m ready to start!

• doods
    3 months ago

Jan must be used to larger homes. We have a small bedroom, with a heavier looking dresser and chest, a queen size bed and two night tables. It is fine for us. I find it cozy, welcoming, and quite comfortable, but then I am used to small homes.

Joan Head thanked doods
  • Olychick
    3 months ago

Your room is lovely and the furniture is beautiful. Don't feel bullied into changing it just because someone else thinks you should. You've been given some great examples of small bedside tables, either wall hung or just smaller and functional without lamps. I like the idea of draperies with a little more presence because they will frame your bed nicely. A rug will be a good addition and it may surprise you by making the room seem larger.

Joan Head thanked Olychick
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 months ago

Nobody is "bullying" anyone. I loathe the term.

The op began the post for a reason. She is clearly open to the suggestion of a rug.

I adore small cozy rooms, even outsize four poster beds in a small space!

But the over scale can not apply to ALL in the space. It all can't loom and close in the walls!

A nice big rug, ( her pick )will look super. If all you ever do is walk into a room with warm lamplight it is worth the price of lamps! Not to mention something to set the lamps upon!

There's always a reason for PRETTY. Whatever pretty means to the owner of the space.

• acm
    3 months ago

I can see why those large nightstands made you feel crowded, but a very slim option might make the room feel more finished, even if they only hold clocks -- when somebody feels sick, they suddenly hold tissues and pills and water, and someday one of you may wear glasses, etc.

Maxine Night Table - Grey Overcast · More Info

Glory Furniture Dalton Nightstand, Silver Champagne, Blue · More Info

Night Stand, 1 Wood Drawer, Stable, Sturdy Constructed Distressed Jacobean · More Info

(all of these seem to come in many colors. the last one makes it easy to charge your phone.)

Joan Head thanked acm
  • Joan Head
    Original Author
    3 months ago

The inspirations pics are great! I can clearly see how a rug will work as well as small tables. One question…..are there ”rules” about lamp height on a small table? Since the headboard is so tall, I’m thinking taller, slim lamps might be best.

• Olychick
    3 months ago

Since your tables will likely be small, I'd really consider wall hung. You can get corded and not have to have them wired. Then you can get the balance of a taller lamp without the tall, skinny lamp problem.

Joan Head thanked Olychick
  • Joan Head
    Original Author
    3 months ago

I love the first pic of sconces. Do you have a source for them? Thanks so much!

• Joan Head
    Original Author
    3 months ago

I played around with the room uding things i already had. Thought you might enjoy seeing the difference.

• doods
    3 months ago

Very pretty!

• L.D. Johnson
    3 months ago

Nice! Have you considered a more streamlined ceiling fan? This style comes with and without ceiling light.

Joan Head thanked L.D. Johnson
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 months ago

And now??? : ) Hands clapping.

Get a rug, and blow your own mind - Move the "big thing" get more room on the left of bed, get a rug.....

add art and a bench

The "thing" is what crowds the entrance to your bath

You'll be able to center a bedside under that window

NOT SAYING get rid of it, relocate: )

Joan Head thanked JAN MOYER
  • olychick
    3 months ago

That looks nice! And functional to have bedside tables and lamps. Your furniture is fine; I wouldn’t want to have to go to another room to access my clothes. The doorway to the bathroom is not being blocked in any way. In fact, I would appreciate having the view to the bathroom obscured from the doorway.

Joan Head thanked olychick
  • Joan Head
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Thank you all. This has been so much fun. 😊

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 months ago

I call it the Christmas tree issue.

You never want to have it jut into a room on a side wall as you enter that room. You always want a far corner for that tree, right?

When you put a tall and heavy piece, literally in your face as you enter, it reads even larger than it is. It is magnified the smaller the room

I completely understand it is storage. I have not suggested being rid of it. If it bothers you not? Fine!

Just know that the very thing about which you asked in this thread? Is not at all the problem. The bed isn't the issue!

I prune by season. I crate summer. I crate winter sweaters after a wash or dry cleaning. I don't have a huge walk in closet, and even if I did? I don't keep that which I am not currently wearing. Again......it is choice. But what you may have perceived as an issue in a small room? Isn't

It is this......( NOT the xmas tree/quickie sketch)

or this below - big tree. little bitty forest : )

• olychick
    3 months ago

Jeezus give it a rest. You’ve made your point over and over. Bullying? Maybe not; haranguing might be a better word.

• pat1250
    3 months ago

Me thinks Jan has visually given her views credence. Ive always transferred my seasonal clothes from one closet \ space to another as needed. The larger art speaks well, & a great rug will bring much warmth to your room.

• Leen DN
    3 months ago

Where did you get your bed frame from ?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 months ago

@ Pat1250

No matter credence, validity, whatever?

Designers don't peck at you to annoy you.

This a "faux client" . Don't know a thing but one:

This is a site, where people ask other people to see what they themselves can not yet see. I added color, so I could annoy yet further: ) lol

Often, it can be helpful to reverse the question, an item in any space that for whatever reason isn't getting a client to their desired destination.

Client and designer out shopping:

Designer: Here!! here's the perfect thing for that wall, and a lot of storage for you!"

Quizzical expression meets suggestion....."are ya sure it isn't sorta ...big? lol...

Olychick is gonna need a nap: )

We'll hope the op has a little giggle

• Joan Head
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Leen DN, I bought the furniture from an individual about 15 years ago. i think the brand is Thomasville.

I’m looking for a rug and will replace curtain rods/curtains with chunkier/weightier items. I’m also going to get sconces and will put more plants, things on table tops. Large piece has nowhere to go and I‘m OK with it. I’ve gained a new perspective on decorating this room and am happy with my plan.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    3 months ago

It will be wonderful!!🙂

Joan Head thanked ShadyWillowFarm
Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH