SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
krystapampena

suggestions for living room please!

krysta M
4 months ago

Hi! Any recommendations for additions to our living room? We have a narrow floor plan that is open to the kitchen. From past suggestions we changed the rug, lowered the tv, added white end tables and consoles, and updated artwork. (Before picture attached) I’m struggling with curtain ideas over the two windows when our back doors are covered at a different height with the blue rod pocket ones- does this matter?

Any advice or edited photos are appreciated!!

Comments (26)

• krysta M
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Please reference the true color of the area by the photo showing my island. The others ones came out weirdly with a yellow tone which is not accurate. ☺️

• Lyn Nielson
    4 months ago

a longer black console under the TV with a floor lamp in the corner

move the end tables to the inside of the space

move the litttle round table to another room. panels on the windows to soften the space.

I would move the sofas in a bit... away from the walls.

• krysta M
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Thank you! I’m going to move the end tables to the other side and put a floor lamp in one corner that would be open and take a picture to see thoughts ☺️

For the curtains, is it going to be odd that they would be higher than the blue ones over my back French doors ?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 months ago

Lower the TV

Find a media unit that's longer

IMO the walls are too pinky beige.

I'd have the shorter sofa facing the TV

• Olychick
    4 months ago

You can't really see the windows in these pics, but if you want draperies on them, I would probably choose fabric very close to the wall color so they don't contrast too much with the blue curtains. If you can hang them the same height as the blue ones, that would look best.

• krysta M
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Hi Beverly! Thank you!! The one you mocked up was our before picture ☺️☺️ the one with the white console and rug is the updated so far.

• krysta M
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Here are some additional photos of helpful ☺️

• shirlpp
    4 months ago

Can you stand in the doorway and take pics of the two windows in the living space.

Your rug is floating - you need a coffee table.

• krysta M
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Shirpp- absolutely! Here you go

• krysta M
    Original Author
    4 months ago

☺️

• deegw
    4 months ago

Love your lazy puppy.

An easy and $0 improvement would be to move the sofas away from the walls a bit and place them closer together. Your seating area will look more cozy. When you push furniture up against the walls, it tends to give the space a waiting room vibe.

• krysta M
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Deegw, I will do that once the dogs get up from their 10th nap of the day lol! This room is so tough for me since it’s oddly narrow and I for some reason felt like I needed to smoosh the furniture around the perimeter 🤣

• la_la Girl
    4 months ago

love suggestion from @deegw - wonder about an ottoman/bench between the couches - maybe some rectangular?

• krysta M
    Original Author
    4 months ago

La la girl would you mind showing a few examples? ❤️

• shirlpp
    4 months ago

Ottomans between couches.

Ownby Design · More Info

• ginatay124
    4 months ago

Regarding your question about curtains, could you possibly return the curtains you have on your sliding door and get the next longer size? Ideally the curtains would be hung as high as possible on sliding doors and windows (all of them approx 3” down from ceiling) and wider than windows so that when they are open they will not block any of your natural light. This will make your ceilings feel taller and your room more dramatic:

• ginatay124
    4 months ago

Like this:

• Kendrah
    4 months ago

To answer the question you posted about, I would have all three curtains the same color and hang the window curtains the same height as the door rod. Sounds like you are planning to pull the sofas out from the wall a bit, which is great. And, it will allow you to have floor length curtains behind the sofa too.

Have you experimented with turning your table and chairs 90 degrees? Would there still be enough room to walk around it? I think the current orientation emphasizes the long narrow feel of the space.

Incredibly cute dog!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 months ago

The stark white furnishings seem to me to be the wrong direction for the home. Too stark a contrast

• HU-402831377
    4 months ago

I would switch the couch on the wall with the flower painting and tv placement making an L shape furniture arrangement.

• jackowskib
    4 months ago

I agree with curtains all hung at the same higher length. If you prefer to keep the white end tables and console, consider a different rug so the don’t look so jarring white. Pull sofas away from walls about half way. Rug ideas -

• krysta M
    Original Author
    4 months ago

I am not opposed to new curtains at all too! Do you feel a different color or texture would be better in the space for the doors and two windows? Any examples would be so helpful! What about pulling the end tables out to the opposite sides of the couch and maybe doing a tall floor lamp on one side? Idk ☺️

Right now I can’t move the TV so I’m trying to make as many changes otherwise that the room size allows.

• PRO
    lisedv
    4 months ago
    last modified: 4 months ago

Without changing the rug (I would choose something with more pattern in white & blue) here are my suggestions. I find the walls too dark in what seems to be a beige peachy tone so I suggest to paint the walls a warm white and the accent wall in navy (test all colours in the room first). Instead of curtains on the 2 windows I suggest natural fibre roman shades and, although you don't seem to be able to install the patio door rod any higher, I would lengthen the rod so that the panels hang on each side of the door to make it look larger and bring more light into the room.

Just edited and added this...

• krysta M
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Any thoughts on these curtains running across the windows and back patio door wall?

Lisedv- I like your mock up but my concern is the kitchen is right there and has blinds so I would have 3 separate window treatments along one wall… 😞

• PRO
    lisedv
    4 months ago

I simply find that the 2 windows on the sofa wall aren't suited for side drapes, roman shades would look much better design wise. From your photos we cannot see the kitchen window. Would you consider replacing the kitchen window treatment to match the 2 other windows?

• krysta M
    Original Author
    last month

Thank you all for your ideas and guidance!! Here is what I have done so far and a photo of it. Got new curtains over French doors just to cover the window panes instead of those pocket rods, brought end tables to other side of sofas, added a tall lamp in left corner and little table to the right (can’t see it because it’s so low and looks bare to me now 😢)

Questions; should the end tables be pulled up more? Any suggestions to make the area right of the tv look not so bare? Another lamp would look weird and too symmetrical wouldn’t it?