SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ashley_seidman

Upstairs bathrooms - need creative layout ideas

Ashley Seidman
3 months ago

Hello - I am looking for someone with architecture or design background to help me come up with a new floorplan idea for my upstairs to tackle a few problems.

The problems:

1. Our master bedroom does not have an ensuite bathroom. We currently use the small hallway bathroom located at the top of the steps, but it’s not sustainable and too small.
  2. Our 2 kids share a tiny bathroom that is located in one of my kid’s bedrooms meaning the other kid has to enter their room every time to use the bathroom.

The goals:

1. Create a master bathroom in the bedroom and still maintain a nice size walk-in closet. Ideally it will have double vanity, toilet, shower, separate tub. If we have to sacrifice, we could either go with a wide single vanity or maybe a freestanding tub in the shower space (I’ve seen some decent looking examples).
  2. Create a larger bathroom for the kids to share with an entrance from the hallway. We can keep or remove the current entrance that is in my kid’s bedroom. We'd like a shower (or shower/tub combo), vanity (double ideally), toilet.

Notes:

• We are happy to get rid of the 2 small closets at the front of the master bedroom and combine into 1 shared his/hers master closet.
  • Both bathrooms are old and need to be renovated so we’d like to include that in this project regardless.
  • We may have to move some windows to accommodate the new plans. The windows in the 2 bathrooms currently are small windows because of a raised roofline directly outside of them.
  • If we go with the direction we sketched out, adding a window to the left of the master bed is a little problematic because that is where our chimney is located. We do not actually use the chimney (the gas fireplace is vented out through the roof separately) so we don’t need it, but not sure if it makes sense to keep it for aesthetic reasons.
  • We would love to raise the ceilings in the master if it’s possible (empty attic space above) to make it feel larger.
  • The roof of the house has to get redone so there’s no issues with needing to touch that.
  • I hate how my kid's bedroom door bangs into their closet door constantly so if there's a solution that also fixes that, great!

Comments (11)