SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_500825108

How can I imitate Diane's fertilizing regime?

bart bart
4 months ago

Diane,we all see your photos of your totally fantastically well-grown, beautiful roses. I just finished looking at a post of yours on portlandmysteryroses's thread on The Prince,re-reading your fertilizing regime. How I would love to be able to copy it! but, alas, here in Italy the products you mention are not available, what's more I have to be very, very careful about using organic fertilizers-no blood, bone or fish based things (they attract the very dstructive badgers). Still, I wonder if I can't find some way of approximating your routine,using a combination of substitutes.

Here's a quote from Diane: " my roses get the same regimen: lots of water, a wonderful compost I buy (Nu Life Organic compost, if you can find it; it's a regional product), applied in late fall and into winter when the weather permits. I'm still applying it. In late February, every rose gets a good feeding of Plant Tone or Holly Tone, whichever I have on hand, and in mid March, the roses get a feeding of Lilly Miller Organic granular fertilizer for acid loving plants. My soil is alkaline so I give this fertilizer for that reason. My roses don't get a lot after the spring feedings. " So what could I use as substitutes for the three products mentioned: Nu Life Organic compost, Plant/Holly Tone , and Lily Miller organic granular for acid-loving plants? The idea of fertilizing in fall and winter really resonates with me, since roses here never go really dormant in winter; I'm pretty sure that this is when they are doing almost all of their work on roots. In spring, alas, it gets too hot too early on, and in summer, forget it (that is when they get close to true dormancy, lol) . My soil is on the alkaline side, too, so the use of acid-lovers fert seems right as well. But since I have to use non-organic chemical ferts that are locally available, how could I approximate Diane's routine? I looked up Nu Life compost 's ingredients:" Aged, screened bark fines, composted leaf, composted steer, composted chicken, Mushroom compost, Sphagnum peat moss and custom blend of Mycorrhizae." Don't know what screened bark fines are, and couldn't get mushroom compost, but the rest I could copy fairly well. I'm hoping that "composted chicken" and "composted steer" means the manure from these animals, not the actual animals! Plant Tone; Internet says: Derived from: "Hydrolyzed Feather Meal, Pasteurized Poultry Manure, Bone Meal, Alfalfa Meal, Greensand, Humates, Sulfate of Potash, and Sulfate of Potash Magnesia. *Contains 3.0% Slow Release Nitrogen." Poultry manure and alfalfa meal I can probably substitute with the regular manure that I buy and alfalfa hay horse fodder (with molasses in it). I can look up the other ingredients, too-the only one that is off the table for me is the blood meal. Also, I doubt I could find hydrolized feather meal over here, lol. I couldn't find an ingredients list for the Lilly Miller fert.

Okay. So. I wonder if anyone out there with a mind more organized than is my own could help me figure out a way to integrate this information,help me make a DIY imitation of these products, integrated with the locally available chemical granular Nitrophoska (contains nitrogen sulfate of potash, phosphorus,sulphur, magnesium and micro elements) I do try to always add alfalfa hay, manure ,and cracked corn during fall and winter, but might it be better to compost them first, or something? Any other ideas for how to improve my fertilizing?

Comments (27)