SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_670818602

Radiant Barrier on Knee walls question 1.5 story home

HU-670818602
4 months ago
last modified: 4 months ago

Radiant barrier question.

I've got most of the radiant barrier up in the attic now, stapled to the roof rafters and covering all the external walls. For ease of explanation my house is similar to the below picture, a 1.5 story home with living space on the 2nd floor and walk in attics on the left and right - Knee walls on the left and a regular full size interior wall on the right, both which have opening to the above attic space.

You can see by the picture below (this is from the right side of the house with the full interior wall), the insulation batts are falling out on the left and the plastic sheeting they put on the outside to hold it up is disintegrating but the insulation itself still looks good. I would say the insulation is probably R16 to R19.

I was going to use poly twine and run twine around the interior walls within the attic to keep the insulation in place but realize I have a lot of extra radiant barrier so had the thought to put the radiant barrier up on the interior walls also, stapled to the wall joists.

The barrier has an air gap on one side in this case. I'm wondering if the second layer of barrier on the interior walls would help keep some heat in during the winter? My guess would be it would have a marginal effect in the summer as the 1st layer of barrier on the roof side would be doing all the work.

Anyone have thoughts on if my logic is correct or foresee any issues with doing it this way?

Thanks,

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!