SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lmnop2127

please help me pick a Corian countertop color

5 months ago
last modified: 5 months ago

We are turning what used to be our dining room into a room with built in cabinets for storage and there will be a 5 foot island in the middle of the room with built in storage for shoes. The pics below are not exact but fit the general vibe of what we're going for. The walls will be Benjamin Moore Blue Heather, the cabinets are Timberlake Sonoma in Painted Linen, the hardware is brushed gold.

My final decision is what color countertop to use for the island. It will be a waterfall style island. I'm most likely going with Corian. I want to keep it clean looking, but also want it to look pretty. This project changed from being purely functional to now caring more about what the final result will look like than I originally did. We won't be cooking or anything on the island, but someone occasionally may sit and eat on it and I'm sure things will be put on top of it. I'm trying to keep it budget friendly so at first I was going to go with Formica, but there isn't a way to prevent the seams from showing on a waterfall island. The carpenter suggested Corian instead. I'm not great at making decisions as it is, and this one is just completely making me go through paralysis by analysis.

What color countertop would you suggest?

Comments (31)

• 5 months ago

I’m picturing a honed medium gray soapstone type counter.

• 5 months ago

What about a wood countertop?

• Related Discussions

Please help me pick a countertop

Q

Comments (1)
    Oh shoot, I was going to suggest Crema Maril as a nice contrast to the other things you've got going on. I think a light marble would be nicer than a dark marble so that you get some contrast. Can you post some pictures of your bathroom so far?
    ...See More

Having trouble picking island counter top to match, please help

Q

Comments (2)
    We have a traditional kitchen but similar colors to yours---white Shaker perimeter and dark cherry island. Our perimeter counters are a dark green granite with a lot of "movement" and the island is a white guartzite called luce di luna. The quartzite is a real stone, slightly harder than granite I'm told but I'm not sure, and at least in our area a bit more expensive. It is, however, very calm and I could see it in a modern kitchen such as you describe. When we priced out granite, quartzite, and zodiaq we found the price difference for our kitchen was really rather negligible so we went with the granite and the quartzite but if the zodiaq---I think it was misty carrera that we were considering---had been much less we would have used that instead of the quartzite. HTH.
    ...See More

Please help me select counter top color

Q

Comments (13)
    maxiepines, I didn't follow your thread about cook tops so maybe someone already mentioned this. A downdraft set within a gas cook top pulls at the flames. This isn't an issue with your old electric cook top - no flame. I have a pop-up downdraft for my island's gas cook top. Even though it rises 7" above the cook top, it pulls the flame when turned on high and even on medium, it pulls on the back burners' flames more than I'd like. The downdraft blew out (would that be sucked out?) a burner when it was on low a few times. Today's gas cook tops generally come with automatic re-ignition, which is good, because the only way I know this has happened with my old cook top is when I smell gas. Anyhoo, a downdraft set at the same level as the burners will do this even more than my 7" pop-up does. Can you add a pop-up downdraft, preferably one of the newer models that rises more than 7" above the cook top instead? Stunning photos, as usual, boxerpups. You rock!
    ...See More

Help! What color/type of counter top should I pick?

Q

Comments (2)
    I design and build a lot of kitchens but to me this is personel preference.You are the one that has to look at it every day and nobody on the internet can help you make that decision.I really like what you have picked but it's hard to tell without seeing what goes with it?
    ...See More
  • 5 months ago

Sounds like an interesting project. Questions: Do .you want the waterfall counters to contrast the cabinets or blend in with them? Counters in this case are also a large vertical surface that will take up a good amount of visual space in this room. Would you like a pop with black counters? Would you like to try to match the cabinet color as closely as possible so they blend in? Would you like a happy medium with a grey counter?

Have you started looking at actual Corian samples? I went to a Corian fabricator in my area (not many of them around anymore) and he had samples galore in every color and shade, some Corian brand others from different companies.

Corian is a great, forgiving surface. Just this week the hot pink "Thank you for your business" logo from a wet plastic bag transfered to my vanilla Corian counters. It was dry by the time we discovered it. I easily wiped it off with a bit of Bon Ami.

For those of you who cannot imagine an island in a mudroom type space, here are some pics. I often advised on house that OPs turn dining rooms into spaces that meet their needs and LL, it sounds like you have really done so!

Large Mudroom Island with Walnut Countertop · More Info

Mudroom with homework/craft island and lockers · More Info

L L thanked Kendrah
  • 5 months ago

I also don't get it ... is the "old" dining area/new mud room open to the kitchen? So that the island will be part of both the kitchen and the mud room? Just not understanding why you would want shoe storage in an island where people will sit and eat.

We need a diagram of the space.

• 5 months ago

I take it to mean the dining room is separate from the kitchen. This is more of a storage all purpose room that has an island in it, but it is not the kitchen island.

• 5 months ago

@Sammie J

Sorry, I didn’t clarify well. I can upload a diagram later when I get home. For now I’ve uploaded our general floor plan. The room I’m referring to is labeled “dining room”. It will not be part of the kitchen. What I meant by saying people may eat at the island was that it could potentially be used for overflow space if we host a holiday, for example. Not everyday usage for eating. I said that because the countertop material doesn’t have to be kitchen counter quality as far as durability, heat resistance, etc.

• 5 months ago

@kendrah Thank you for understanding the purpose of the project. As far as the counter goes, I really don't know if I want it to contrast or blend in with the cabinets. The floors are Brazilian cherry hardwood, and there's not a ton of natural light because we tend to keep the blinds shut for privacy most of the time as the windows are at the front of the house facing the sidewalk and lots of people walk by. When the blinds are open there is a ton of natural light.

This is a new construction house we built in 2012. Everything we chose is dark, dark, dark because that was the trend at the time (or so we were told). I'm slowly trying to lighten spaces up, and eventually I'll get to the kitchen because we have espresso cabinets (a ton of them) and darker granite, so the whole space feels very heavy and dark. Anyway, I've leaned against the idea of a dark countertop for the new island because of that, but I'm not great at tying a look together so maybe that will look best? I really don't know. Since the island itself will also be the Painted Linen color, I'm nervous about picking a white countertop color that looks good online, but will end up looking beige once installed onto the island cabinets.

I am trying to find somewhere local to look at Corian samples, but it's very difficult for me to determine what will look good in the space off of a 2" x 2" sample. I've been looking online a lot, but many times those colors are distorted by the computer screen and I don't want to make a choice solely off of what something looks like on the computer. I chose the wall color and cabinet color because many of the pictures I was drawn to online had a bluish/grayish paint color, white cabinets and brushed gold hardware. Beyond that, I'm stumped!

• 5 months ago

“Corian is a great, forgiving surface.”

Agree! We had it for years in a previous home amd it still looked new when we left. There are lots of great color choices. In our case, our counters were Corian’s Glacier White…so nice! I cleaned it regularly with SoftScrub.

• 5 months ago

I have seen this type of space called a ”homekeeping room” by Martha Stewart (yes, I think it had an island) and a ”utility room” by my family. They can be great spaces and I think you will appreciate it. We have a room that I have been trying to do that with, but other life projects keep getting in the way. Of course, if we had done it soon after we moved in, other projects might have been easier.

Anyway, another yes to Corian. I wish I could help with colors.

• 5 months ago

From what you are saying, I'd go for white counters. You were attracted to it in your inspiration pic and you are wanting to eventually get your home looking brighter.

But, as you know, there are many whites and you need to get one that will look right with your cabinets and walls. You should have a sample door of the cabinets you will use. Do you? Then get large samples of Corian and look at them together in your space with your lighting, floors, and paint. It is really, really hard to obtain large samples from manufacturers. I ended up finding a fabricator who had gave me really large remnant pieces to bring home. (I tested ballpoint pen, egg, tea, wine, lemon, ketchup all overnight and all came off easily.)

If this is of any help - I have vanilla Corian and it is a perfect match to Benjamin Moore Linen White, which is the color of my cabinets and walls. It is more creamy than glacier and arctic Corian.

• 5 months ago

I'm curious why you are creating this room in your dining room and not your living room. They look to be the same size and the living room is connected to the kitchen - does that make more sense to have your home keeping room separate from the kitchen and your living room closer by?

The minute you started reading your initial question I thought of Martha Stewart!

• 5 months ago

@Kendrah The dining room is connected to the kitchen, not the "living room" (as it's labeled on the floorplan). The "living room" has already been turned into my office after we no longer needed it as a playroom space. I do have a sample of the cabinet color, so I will need to find a local place that has Corian samples onhand. The number of choices is very overwhelming to me, so I'm trying to narrow it down. I like the idea of something light colored, but with a little bit of visual interest.

I am also trying to change out the builder grade chandelier, and I was looking at this. Do you think it would work well?

• PRO
    5 months ago

so something like this?

This gray might be pretty.

This one is a leathered granite

or, have you considered doing a diff color island, no waterfall and a walnut top?

This would be much cheaper than the other option.

they do have edge grain waterfall in the walnut as well

or, something like these

you could wrap the island in the fluted walnut, top w/the white and waterfall one side

don't know that I've seen Corian in a waterfall

• 5 months ago

I would go with a solid color Corian for sure. I think Corian with pattern and veining are super cheap looking. Are veining or patterns what you mean by visual interest? If so, I find another counter material and not use Corian. It can look very cheesy and fake.

Do you have drawings of the space, picks of the hardware, pics of the room to post? Hard to say if the chandelier will look right without having more context. I don't love the chandelier though. I looked at pics of it staged in rooms and in the reviews pics and I think it gets lost in space and looks a little cheap. I think you can do better.

L L thanked Kendrah
  • 5 months ago

@Beth H. : I like the first pic, and surprisingly I like #8 as well. My one concern would be that our floors are Brazilian cherry, so that is a lot of dark wood on dark wood. What do you think?

• PRO
    5 months ago

that's true. but if everything else is white , it shouldn't make it too dark.

You could get a plain white quartz. they even make 3x5 pre-fab quartz for less than $600. the fabricator would cut it on site to install.

Just another option.

• 5 months ago

Beth's #8 picture is really handsome and might make the island look more like a piece of furniture rather than having it feel like a kitchen counter - a plus considering the function of this room.

I would try to get a counter with a wood stain very close to your floor. I'd need to see a pic of your floors, but I don't imagine it looking too dark because it will be sitting on white cabinets, and you will have a wall of white cabinets in the room. You mentioned keeping the blinds closed because of foot traffic in front of your house. What if you installed top down bottom up blinds to let more natural light in?

• 5 months ago

@Kendrah Here are some pics of my floors. One has the overhead light on and the other has it off. It's hard to get a good pic without glare.

• PRO
    5 months ago

I think you need to slow this whole thing down. The kitchen layout, the dark and heavy........arches, openings, no closets. Not to mention I don't see waterfall anything here: )

• 5 months ago

I have wood floors that also lean “red” so I’ve avoided white-white in this house. (I also have a lot of custom medium-tone wood trim everywhere). Stick to ivory to bring in some warmth. I would do an ivory on the cabinets as well.

• 5 months ago

Thanks for posting floor pictures. I think it makes me change my mind about a wood counter. The floors really pop in that color and I think it will feel like too much wood, and possibly clashing wood if you do the counters in wood too.

Can you say more about your desire for waterfall and what is motivating that as a choice? Also, how would you describe your overall style and the vibe of the look you are going for.

• 5 months ago

@Kendrah I think like the idea for a waterfall cabinet because, to me, it looks less like a kitchen and more like a piece of furniture. I'm not opposed to it *not* being a waterfall, as long as the look comes together without it.

I don't know how exactly to describe my overall style, but I love blue and white combo and I did a Google search and here's a photo dump of pics that caught my eye.

I'm noticing from the pics I chose that I like the look of the white walls/cabinets and then a blue island. I'm wondering if I should change my paint choice (the room is being painted next week) and go with white walls and have the island painted the Blue Heather color as more of an accent to the room. What do you think?

• 5 months ago

There are a lot of beautiful pale blues that will work with those floors. I love your idea of white cabinets and blue island. The big challenge is always WHICH white and WHICH blue. Maybe some of the pros can make specific color suggestions to go with your floors.

• PRO
    5 months ago

I like this look. no waterfall, just simple trim molding on the sides.

L L thanked Beth H. :
  • 5 months ago

Love the last combination @Beth H:.

• 5 months ago

@Beth H. :I like that look as well and think this is the best way to go. Do you think it's ok to color match the paint for the walls to the Painted Linen cabinets? Otherwise, I'm not sure how I'll find a white paint that works.

• 5 months ago

LL,
    Corian Glacier White or Antarctica would look great combined with your cherry floors and blue wall paint. I ordered 10x10” samples of Glacier White, Antarctica, and Sparking White off the DuPont Corian website for a kitchen remodel. I’m leaning toward the Antarctica but really any of the 3 would work in my space. Added bonus? Glacier White is level A- least expensive.
    I hope this helps.

Maureen

• 5 months ago

Update:

I spoke with the builder, and he doesn’t recommend painting the island cabinets. It’s too late to change the island cabinet order to a different color.

Now I’m back to square one with the countertop.

• 5 months ago

HI LL,

This is a remodel, so it is not "too late" to change the island cabinet order if that's what you want to do. It would delay your project, though. If there is some reason that this project MUST be completed on a certain timeline, then I guess that would mean that a delay is unacceptable.

• 5 months ago

I'm not sure the waterfall is the right look. Think of your island not as reminding you of a kitchen, but rather a large island in a "closet room". One of the pictures at the top of this post showed something similar. I've seen them in a lot of ads and pictures for huge rooms that are actually closets. The island is meant for storage and "put place", just as you are thinking.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert