SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
abufish

When new eaves connect to old eaves, how to make it look better?

abufish
5 months ago

I'm currently doing a house addition/remodeling project (Craftsman style). After the contractor connected the fascia of the new porch and the existing fascia of the garage, it looks odd. Garage has gable roof and the porch has a shed (horizontal) roof, and the other side of the shed roof joins another gable roof. After the contractor joins the fascia together, the whole roofline sort of looks like a unibrow :) During the design phase I thought the porch's roof is a little recessed, so the left and right gable roof would have their facia look more "complete" but somehow the fascia ends up on the same surface. In the end we are going to put rain gutter in the porch section, which may make things look worse.

I'm looking for any ideas that could make the fascia transition more natural. I thought about adding an arbor/trellis right in front of the porch area, but I'm wondering if there's any more cost-efficient way.

Attached image shows how the facias are connected, and the red arrow shows where I think it looks odd. Second image shows how it looks like if we place an arbor there.

Any ideas are appreciated. Thank you!

Comments (4)