SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jdvmd

What kind of slipcovers for these chairs?

Linda VH
5 months ago

Can anyone tell me what kind of chair covers I could use for these chairs? I'm confused as the backs are curved and most slipcovers seem to be made for straight backs. The seats are pretty deep also. Custom? Leave as is? Was looking for a white/natural colored option.

Comments (33)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 months ago

I like them as is but they seem huge for the table . As for slipcovers you will need custom and the will not be cheap. Could you post a pic of the whole space . Post here in a comment DO NOT start another post.

• Linda VH
    Original Author
    5 months ago

That's what I was afraid of. Here is a pic of the overall space. There is a leaf for the table but since it is just my husband and myself, we leave it out unless we have family visiting. This is a vacation condo that was purchased furnished. I also do not like the barstools.

• Related Discussions

I'm in love with this pretty slipcovered chair, but what style is

Q

Comments (16)
    Hi juddgirl: You can search under "french" or "shabby chic" or "victorian" or "provincial". I always search under "chair" LOL - though that would bring up 1000 listings :-) I found this listing which looks similar to the one you are looking for. I actually think the legs/base on this one is better looking, the scallop is very cute :-) Plus it has a super cute ottoman! You can get linen in down town LA for so much less than CC. My upholsterer quote me a/b 200-250$/slipcover so you can get a slipcover made for less than 500. HTH. Here is a link that might be useful: link
    ...See More

Which barstools and got fabric for chair slipcovers...

Q

Comments (9)
    Thanks guys!!!I was leaning towards #4 also. Of course, it's the most expensive as well. Good point Les about the curves in the cabinets. I didn't even realize that, but thought the stools went with the curves in the dining chairs. I'm not sure if there is any way to relocate those brackets, although it makes sense to do so. The stools are counter height so they should fit (and I've had other stools there before that worked out ok) but I'll be sure to measure. Another good point!
    ...See More

Dining Chair Slipcover (with Arms!)?

Q

Comments (1)
    Can you post a picture of your chair,so we know exactly what kind of arm chair it is???? Kathi
    ...See More

Help me pick the right slipcover for my dining room chairs

Q

Comments (2)
    I think with the knobs that you have on top of your chairs the slipcovers will not fit properly. They will probably always bother you.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 months ago
    last modified: 5 months ago

No one places slipcovers over a woven rattan chair.

They look quite good as they are. These are $$$ chairs

What is your goal for these chairs?

They can be restained or painted.

You can paint or whitewash the woven rattan.

• Maureen
    5 months ago

I don’t think the chairs themselves are a problem at all. They do feel a bit large because there is nothing to offset them. I would instead work with your lovely chairs and make some overall adjustments.

You could restain the chairs and table a bit lighter, to create a lighter, coastal feel and replace stools (is there a ledge to make sense of having stools?).

If you address the empty wall with furniture, accessories and large art it will help define the dining area, create a more cozy feel and its visual weight will balance the room and table.

• Kendrah
    5 months ago

I like these chairs and like them in the space. I agree it is just a ratio issue because they are pretty large for the table. Can you keep two of them at the table and place two of them elsewhere in the home? Do any bedrooms need a chair? (To throw clothes on of course?) Then when .you put a leaf in the table you can take them back out? I also think with rugs, artwork, and new barstools, the chairs will blend in nicely and feel less hulking and obtrusive to the eye. Enjoy your lovely condo.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 months ago

Wow! Great and expensive chairs. Seems you have room so put leaf in table and add buffet and art to the big wall. Lovely space. Bbl with some ideas.

• Design Fan
    5 months ago

I agree with the suggestions to add a table leaf and not to slipcover the chairs. You can change up the look of the chairs by restaining them as suggested or recovering the seat cushions. What does the current chair cushion fabric look like?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 months ago

A few concepts. Art of your choice. Dark console with some cane. Bar stools with light wood to go with table and flooring and a bit more cane.

• RedRyder
    5 months ago

Expanding the table makes sense. The style of the chair requires each of them to have more “breathing room”. They look cramped there.

Styling the dining area as Flo suggested will also make the proportions in the room look better.

Then remove or change the bar stools. I suspect they were put there to keep visitors out of the cook’s way since the surface isn’t wide enough to eat on. Buying new bar stools and a new chandelier will make the area more cohesive.

The chairs are lovely. They just need some company and space.

• Linda VH
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Thanks, everyone!

The bar area does have an good size overhang.

Here is a picture of the chair cushion fabric.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 months ago

Turn your table and chairs on the diagonal so that you have more space between the set and the rug edge.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 months ago

When you get table reset, we can try a few different chandeliers for you.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 months ago

Something light and bright.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 months ago

I think I would think about how many people you would actually seat at the counter. And if just to chat with the cook, I would suggest 2 plain stools with no back in coordinating materials with table and chairs. Less visual confusion and less cost.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 months ago

Like these. Swivel seat clean profile.

• Linda VH
    Original Author
    5 months ago

I like the buffet suggested above but worry it will clash with the rest of the room and the entertainment center.. I think this is what bothers me the most about the chairs - everything else is in the gray/beige tones but these chairs and barstools. I like the idea of whitewashing but afraid I will ruin them.

• liasch
    5 months ago

Hm. I can see your point. You might want to sell the chairs and replace it with something that fits in the space better.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 months ago

Try reorienting the chairs as I think Beverly suggested. It will really help. I chose a black console to repeat the dark legs in the chairs. You can use a bit of contrast and definition of your dining area. Just add a dark vase to top of TV console to tie spaces together.

• Kendrah
    5 months ago

Wow, context is everything. It really helps to see the rest of the space. Yes, the chairs do stick out, not in a good way. You can either add more of these "dining room" colors into the other space or get new chairs. They are odd chairs. The upholstery fabric don't really go well with the color of the chair. I think you are on your way to either painting the chairs or getting new ones that fit the table better when there is no leaf and that more in line with the color of the table and the living room.

How often are there more than two of you at the table? Maybe you buy two near chairs and some really nice folding chairs for when company comes?

• liasch
    5 months ago

Despite them being really nice (and expensive ) chairs… It looks like they weren’t your original choice to begin with? If I’m following what you said on here correctly. Rather than twist yourself into a pretzel trying to accommodate the chairs, you might want to reconsider whether you really want to keep them. I think the shape is a little heavy and awkward for the space.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 months ago

Of course, if you aren’t comfortable with the chairs, my all means, change them out. Loads of great options out there. Wanna try different chairs?

• Linda VH
    Original Author
    5 months ago

I would love to have different chairs but as it has been pointed out, they are pricey and my husband doesn't see any reason to get rid of a "perfectly good, expensive chair" hence my original question of slip covering - it would have made us both happy.

So my take away so far is:

* Keep but bring some of the dining room dark color to the living room area. I assume like pillows.

* Get rid of chairs (my preferred option);

* Put the leaf back in so the table is oval or at the very least turn the table diagonally with the current four chairs;

* Or whitewash or lighten up the rattan somehow.

When we got the place, I did look first thing for new cushions but cannot find something to fit so that means custom again and $$$$. I had even thought about just pinning some fabric like drop cloths on the underside of each cushion but decided it is the rattan that is bothering me the most.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 months ago

Change positions of chairs or add leaf into table. This is first step. You might be able to find fabric to cover existing cushions. I would add sculpture in darker color to left of TV on the TV cabinet. Maybe a new throw for back of sofa that ties dark and light tones in. Perhaps a tall item in corner behind chair. Would be faux palm or floor lamp or other deco item. You have the “bones”. Just detail tweaking.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 months ago

A stretch cushion for your chairs might work. Need dimensions or try a couple.

• Linda VH
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Cushions are about 19 X 21 and about five or six inches deep. I am going on memory here.

• liasch
    5 months ago

I think the cushions are really secondary. how will your other half feel if you paint the chairs and “ruin them“. Lol.

• Linda VH
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Yeah, that would not go over well!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 months ago

Please don’t paint those chairs. They are really wonderful chairs.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 months ago

Here is ad for these chairs. See if they have a label of manufacturer on bottom or under the cushion. That would help you determine their value so you can possibly sell or have today’s value for donation deduction on your income tax if you qualify.

• Kendrah
    5 months ago

A chair might be expensive but the value diminishes if you have to pour more money into correcting for its color by spending money to redecorate around it. Research the cost of this actual chair. Call some furniture restoration people and ask how much it would cost to change the color of the woven part. See what you can sell these for. See what chairs you actually like would cost.

Can you post a few more pictures of the entire space? Maybe there is something we are missing visually that can make this work better.

• liasch
    5 months ago

Oh they’re leather! Well that totally changes the icing on the cake doesn’t it? I wouldn’t be trying to paint them. (I probably wouldn’t risk painting them anyway due to their quality and value. ) if you can sell them and get a good price for them your other half might be willing to compromise. (In other words if you could sell them for what it would cost you to buy different chairs. ) If they’re super comfortable the compromise might be worth it. Comfortable chairs are hard to find.

• liasch
    5 months ago

You might be back to the idea of getting covers for them. If your other half doesn’t object to that expense that might be the route to go. I’d get an estimate. Certainly couldn’t be more expensive than buying more furniture to make the chairs fit in…🤪

• liasch
    5 months ago

Curved chair covers are a thing and it might not be as expensive as you think to get custom.