SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nicolebeck0508

Flooring question

Renee Beck
6 months ago

Recently, we installed hardwood flooring in our kitchen and hallway, with the two areas separated by carpet. We're replacing our carpet and decided it's best to replace some of the entry way carpet w/ wood flooring and repeat the same near the french doors. Two reasons -

We have kids in/out of our house all day long. In the summer they come in from the pool and walk into the kitchen. And if they come in from the front door often they just go down the hallway. Removing your shoes to walk down the hallway is a pain (even for my husband). So we've decided to replace increase the spaces with wood to allow for these easier transitions reducing the damage to the carpet.

In the entry should we go diagonally from corner to corner? or square it off?

Near the french doors, should we go diagonally from the main door that opens or diagonally from both doors?

Some may wonder why we don't just put wood flooring down all together. The acoustics are terrible and I've been so much calmer w/ the carpet. The thought of replacing it w/ hardwood makes me stress.... sound of kids, tall ceilings, wood... just can't do it. One day ;-)

I don't know if it'll matter but I've purchased a dusky blue color sectional that will wrap in front of the fireplace (which will be removed). I know it's barren... color is coming and going for a moody look. And any Karastan carpet suggestions? We're replacing because of a defect and need to select from Karastan.

Comments (7)