SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mar_77

Help with bedroom paint color for SW Sea Salt in bathroom

mar 77
6 months ago

Hi,

I need to decide on a paint color for a bedroom that's next to a bathroom that will be painted in SW Sea Salt. Looking for any color that will go with the Sea Salt palette - a shade or two darker than Sea Salt.

Thanks!

Comments (26)

• HU-220827274
    6 months ago

Comfort Gray and Oyster Bay are next to Sea Salt on the color strip if you’re wanting to stay near it

mar 77 thanked HU-220827274
  • mar 77
    Original Author
    6 months ago

@HU-220827274 Thanks. Are there any other colors that work with sea salt for a bedroom?

• Related Discussions

help with bathroom/bedroom paint asap

Q

Comments (10)
    thanks for all the good ideas, it really helped me get going in the right direction, we ended up getting KM Tumbled stone, it's very close to BM Camouflage. The tough part was that the blinds have just s slight pinkish/orange tone to them so we had to avoid getting paint that had a yellow undertone, the paint we got is neutral enough to go with the blinds and really brings out the colors in the granite and the tile. You guys are the best =)
    ...See More

SW Sea Salt Walls Looking for ceiling paint color that is not white

Q

Comments (12)
    computer monitors show things so differently, but it is most definitely 25 to 30% lighter than this swatch grabbed from the computer. Shoji White or Heron Plume you may be interested in yet be mindful of undertones and always test and look from AM to PM as colors change so much and especially whites and grays. I was very pleased Aesthetic White and will use it more as it never changed from room to room in this particular job and feel it would pair well with most colors. It was a nice white, very, very slightly warm with NO yellow or creamy tone. Computer swatches are really so off so take the above with a grain of salt and test it if you think you might be interested. Good luck!
    ...See More

Quiet Moments vs. Sea Salt for bedroom?!

Q

Comments (1)
    Same colors in the same order, on a closet wall!
    ...See More

Need help decorating apartment bedroom, attached bathroom

Q

Comments (67)
    I also vote no to the plastic liner. hard to clean and wasteful to just replace them all the time. Nylon curtains can be thrown in the wash and bleached (it's easier to wash them routinely though, before the bottom hem gets moldy). I use this kind of hook which makes that chore super easy. I used to have two curtains doubled up on regular hooks and that worked just fine, btw. double sided hooks or double rods are not really necessary unless you just like the way it looks.
    ...See More
  • kandrewspa
    6 months ago

If you don't want to stay with the same color but darker, which direction do you want to go in? What color are your bed linens?

mar 77 thanked kandrewspa
  • elcieg
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

Accessible Beige

• mar 77
    Original Author
    6 months ago

@ kandrewspa bed linens don't matter as will be new - this bathroom is next to a smaller bedroom.

Was thinking of Opaline, Comfort Grey, Rainwashed and Oyster Bay.

• mar 77
    Original Author
    6 months ago

@mytwo cents Preferably lighter colors for the bedroom, but should flow with sea salt.

Was deciding between Opaline, Comfort Grey, Rainwashed and Oyster Bay.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    6 months ago

Looking for any color that will go with the Sea Salt palette - a shade or two darker than Sea Salt

Colors that are essentially the same as Sea Salt in terms of hue family and chroma -- just darker.

Was deciding between Opaline, Comfort Grey, Rainwashed and Oyster Bay.

mar 77 thanked Lori A. Sawaya
  • mar 77
    Original Author
    6 months ago

@Lori A. Sawaya Thanks. So how does one select colors that flow together - hue/chroma?

• Kendrah
    6 months ago

I think you really need to play around with hanging up large Sampilize swatches of these colors you are thinking of to get a feel for them in your space.

mar 77 thanked Kendrah
  • PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    6 months ago

Yes.

The basic, fundamental rules of thumb using Munsell hue/value/chroma:

• Colors with the same/similar hue family go together
    • Colors with the same/similar value go together
    • Colors with the same/similar chroma go together

Color harmony - or flow - is based on color relationships. And that's easy to figure out when you have notations. Can choose how to tie or relate colors together: hue, value or chroma.

Just one works or any combination of the three.

Lighting defines color appearance - everyone knows that at this point, it's color 101.

When you align color energy using factual attributes, the way they actually show up is almost bullet proof under any light source. The colors shift and change with the light cohesively because they have the same DNA (or energy).

Metamerism is always a concern. Metamerism is when two colors match under one light source but look mismatched under another light source.

However, these days, modern color science is applied across the board in manufacturing and many colors are now built for or lean into constancy lessening the effects of metamerism. Not saying it's a guarantee. Nothing about color is guaranteed. It's more like an odds thing.

mar 77 thanked Lori A. Sawaya
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 months ago

IMO the bedroom drives the color in the bathroom I usually use the bedding to start with decor in the master thne after that is done I move on to the bathroom . So why are you going backwards Waht do you mean by next to? Is it a ensuite or a hall bath ?

mar 77 thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • mar 77
    Original Author
    6 months ago

@ Patricia Colwell Consulting I like Sea Salt for the newly updated bathroom. I think it goes well with the tile - I just like that blue/green.

So was thinking that the bedroom color must flow with Sea Salt. This is a smaller guest bedroom and bedding will be new so initial color does not matter.

The bathroom is right next to the bedroom- (shared wall).

• acm
    6 months ago

Honestly, I don't think bathrooms and bedrooms need to be the same color, as long as there's not a jarring shock moving from one to the other. Most of our house is a shade of white, but the bathrooms have chosen their own colors based on the tiles and other finishes -- blue, tan, gray. And my daughter's room is yellow. Don't sweat getting it "wrong" as long as the color feels comfortable. [And don't try to match bedding, because surely that's something we change?!? with seasons, moods, the passage of time?]

mar 77 thanked acm
  • mar 77
    Original Author
    6 months ago

@Jenny Thanks. I think Sea Salt and Comfort Gray may be the choice. Will also check Opaline as it's a strong contender, but not sure how pure white trim will look with it.

• mar 77
    Original Author
    6 months ago

@Lori A. Sawaya Thanks! Very interesting info. I had no clue and lots to learn.

• thinkdesignlive
    6 months ago

Pure white coordinates well with Opaline. However Opaline may look too similar to Sea Salt (and thus not distinguish itself).

mar 77 thanked thinkdesignlive
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 months ago

The reason I use the bedding to drive the palette is that paint can be mixed to be anything you want but bedding comes only in finite colors IMO makes life much easier .

mar 77 thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Jennifer Hogan
    6 months ago

I love sea salt and comfort gray or other similar colors.

Can I ask what the flooring is in each room? What is the wall color in the hallway leading to the bedroom and trim and door color throughout the home?

The reason I ask is we often have wood floors throughout except the bathrooms and kitchen which may have tile. Sometimes we have wall to wall carpet in bedrooms. What colors work is very dependent on the color of the flooring.

If the trim and doors are a nice bright white they pair beautifully with sea salt. If they are more yellow, less clean colors they can look dirty next to a clean color like sea salt.

There are many ways to make the two rooms flow together and have the bedroom flow nicely with the hallway.

Assuming the hallway is neutral you can keep the same neutral in the bedroom and add art and bedding to go with the bathroom or you can add art to the hallway and paint the bedroom a color that is in the art and then either paint the bathroom the same color or a coordinating color that may be found in the bedding or art in the bedroom.

These are some of my favorite examples of colors flowing from one room to the next throughout the home, creating a feeling of harmony without monotony.

mar 77 thanked Jennifer Hogan
  • mar 77
    Original Author
    6 months ago

@Jennifer Hogan Thank you for the pictures - will try for something like that for the other rooms.

The trim will be SW Pure White. Bedding is grey and white.

Floors have to be redone. Whole house painted - thinking Accessable Beige or one color lighter. Is that Natural Linen?

Any suggestions for flooring in LVP? The color needs to tie in the travertine like floors on the lower level and more modern grey/white upstairs. So a grey/taupe color? This is all beyond me - lol - sigh.

• Jennifer Hogan
    6 months ago

In my own home I have a short L shaped hallway from the foyer to the guest bedroom and bath.

The Foyer has purple, red and green slate flooring. The walls were painted taupe and I have a lamp that is blue/green that harmonizes with the blue green in the flooring. If you stand in the hallway the walls of the guest bedroom are the same color as the blue green in the flooring. Bathroom is being painted one shade darker than the bedroom.

• mar 77
    Original Author
    6 months ago

@Jennifer Hogan Lovely! I see what you mean now.

What do you think of softened green or living green in the kitchen. Accessable Beige in the adjacent living room with lots of light. Kitchen has some light (bay window and another window).

• Valinta
    6 months ago

I have found it easier to get the bedding first, then go to paint color since the variations are vast and easy to formulate to work with bedding and adjacent room colors. Otherwisw you end up with all white bedding. 🥴

mar 77 thanked Valinta
  • Jennifer Hogan
    6 months ago

I'm going to suggest you take a step back. If you don't do things in the right order you may end up boxing yourself into a corner and you will be overwhelmed trying to make all the decisions at once.

Step 1 - what colors are in the house that have to stay. You mentioned Travertine tile. How about kitchen cabinets, countertops, bathroom vanities, furniture, art, fireplace, wood doors and trim or painted doors and trim if you are not re-painting doors and trim.. . .

Do a walk through of the house and list what rooms are next to each other as you walk through. List the colors that must stay and where they are in relation to the rest of the house.

Step 2 - What is your favorite color or colors. When you look at clothing or art what colors make your heart sing? (You may not ever paint a wall one of these colors, but you will want these colors somewhere in your home, so we want to know what they are.)

Step 3 is determining the main neutral that will go through your home. Not the exact color, but the neutral color family that is going to work with what must stay and the colors that you love.

Step 4 - Once you know the neutral color family it is time to look at flooring. Flooring options are much more limited than paint colors and flooring covers most of your home. It is one of the largest factors when selecting colors for your home. You want to pick the perfect flooring that will look good with all the colors that have to stay and the colors that you love.

Step 5 - It is time to look at the next big expensive items that will come in limited choices - cabinets, countertops, backsplash, tile and sofa, large area rugs if you will be using area rugs.

Step 6 - Now it is nail down the neutral paint color. In most homes that I have owned or helped others pick colors for this is usually the color that we use in the main living area of the home and the connecting hallways. In my home it will be the foyer, living room, two hallways, 3 of the walls in my office and the master sitting room. The 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, dining room, kitchen and laundry room will be colors. I sometimes use a lighter and darker version of the same neutral in one room.

Step 6 - pick the trim color that goes best with the neutral that you picked.

Step 7 - Now it is time pick wall colors that work with all the other things you have picked. . . Flooring, cabinets, countertops, trim colors, furnishings... Decide how the color is going to flow from room to room.

Couple of side notes:

Some people like to pick the bedding first. For me this wouldn't work. I have 8-10 different bedspreads and change them out about every other month. I also have 2 50lb dogs that sleep with me and I don't expect my bedding to last a long time. I pick bedding that works with the paint color I have chosen rather than picking paint colors that works with the bedding that will be changing with every season or more.

Pure white is a nice trim with accessible beige, but I don't know if it is my favorite white with accessible beige or if accessible beige will be the best color with your flooring, the colors that must stay or the colors that you love. Natural linen is a color that I love, but it does have a touch of pink undertone. Not a bad thing, just is something that you need to be aware of. I picked natural linen for my sister's home and accessible beige for my niece's home, each chosen to go with the flooring that my sister and niece had already picked.

Generally, with a 3 br 2 bath home I end up with 5-7 paint colors including the neutral and white. my current home will have 1 neutral, 1 white (trim and doors), 3 shades of teal (master bath, guest bath, guest br), a red that will be used in the dining room, kitchen walls and the back wall in the living room (shares a wall with the dining room which shares a wall with the kitchen) and a purple that will be used in the laundry room, on the kitchen cabinets and again in the master bedroom.

I have not yet decided which color I will use as an accent wall in my office and may change my mind and make the laundry room red instead of purple. I will make final decisions as I renovate each room over the next 5 years.

• mar 77
    Original Author
    6 months ago

@Jennifer Hogan Lots of good info - thanks!