SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dogsinthegarden

Does anyone else feel uneasy about the Houzz home offices rotten ergo?

Mare S
6 months ago

Prompted by the recent eblast, I scanned the Houzz home office examples, and grew more and more horrified by the offices. At least 95% were poorly designed from a safe ergonomics and productivity perspective, and surely that's far more important than "a look." Look at those examples: awful chairs that I would NEVER let an employee use at a desk, laptops set on counter top, terrible lighting, zero adjustable height desks that I could see. Where are the external displays, the external keyboards and turboball/mouse, the adjustable height desks (many of which are gorgeous), the adjustable lighting, the ergo chairs (while many are hideous, several are graceful and colorful too)? Was this some idiot photographer's idea of improving the aesthetic (like clearing everything from the counters of kitchens, which often leaves them cold and lacking a sense of real-life functionality)? Because if so it's really missing the point of a professionally designed home office: to be highly functional and ergonomically safe, as well as look good, to enhance productivity and keep the user safe. What do professional home office designers think of these examples? And what do the users who work in these Houzz examples of home offices think?

Comments (8)