SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

Clean the Fridge Bread—Chili Pepper Edition

plllog
6 months ago
last modified: 6 months ago

There was a little of the mixed chili pepper stew ledt in cold storage, and brine from a large jar of Bubbe's bread and butter pickles (I call them ”sugar pickles” because they're very sweet). Also, about a quarter of a cup of grated orange cheddar. It occurred to me that the evenings are cool enough now to make bread possible (I don't like air conditioning oven heat). So I followed how I make beet bread, blenderated the chili, leaving a few lumps for interest, and used the sweet brine instead of water to tone down the chili. The flour was about a third baking flour (malted 11% protein) and 2/3 very tasty, high protein pizza flour.

The crumb is very moist, springy and tender, well risen, airy and even textured, and a bit soft. The chili flavor comes through nicely, with some kick. The cheddar all melted in the purée, and is expressed as a bit of different funk, rather than its own identity. The crust got over browned a bit, but is soft (I suspect the brine for both), and tastes fine, if a bit toasty. This bread uses commercial (ADY) yeast and the dough hook, and is a basic boule shape baked in a pumpkin pot, so dead easy. I'm convinced that any vegetable will make good bread in this recipe.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting