SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathleen_smith6227819

This whole kitchen remodel/fix is getting more and more depressing

Kathsgrdn
6 months ago
last modified: 6 months ago

I have talked to two contractors and have another one coming out Tuesday. One of them uses Lowes mostly for their cabinets or the people buy them from Lowes, anyway. I went to two different Lowes, one yesterday in the big city and one in the state capitol today, neither had anyone who could answer my questions. Left my info for the "kitchen cabinet" person to get back to me. I know a lot of people say not to use them but if I can get a mid-quality cabinet and have someone else install them then I don't see the problem. They're also having a sale on cabinets this month.

Tried to find a cabinet shop in the big city yesterday after going to Lowes and all my gps did was take me on a round trip around that Lowes and the super Walmart. I gave up, got a sub sandwich and went home.

The other contractor uses Waypoint cabinets and not sure about their quality. Although, on their website it says they also use Kraftmaid Vantage. Not sure about Vantage.

When looking at the cabinet displays in Lowes I saw some flaws, like one drawer in the Kraftmaid kitchen had like half an inch of the dove tail drawer piece sticking out on the side of the drawer. Really weird. I don't think it's the same line as the Vantage, though?

I'm going Monday to a countertop place or two after I meet with the claims adjuster. They're coming out to assess the old cabinets. The only laminate I've been able to find is at Lowes and they are Allen and Roth, which don't have great reviews.

Have one more contractor coming out Tuesday. He also uses Lowes cabinets for the most part.

I've really liked the people I have had contact with so far, they all come when they say they're going to. The first contractor, though, does no work in December, the entire month, because of the holidays. I rented a home when I first moved to this town and these brothers' parents were the maintence people who took care of that home. Also, my lawyer's sister recently had work done with them and he is getting ready to have major work on his home. I should say he was my lawyer until last week, when I got my money back that was sitting in an account to pay his fees.

I don't think that other company that did my bathroom is ever going to come after me. I now have a lein on my house from them and would have to spend thousands to take them to court and have it removed. My lawyer said they just changed the laws in the state and they have 10 years to come after me. If they don't renew it, it goes away. If they do, it's only another 5 years and then it goes away forever. Really messed up. I do have some money in my retirement account but I don't want to spend it fighting those dirtbags. Also, no guarantee I will win, even though I know I'm in the right. So, now I just have to live 15 years so my kids don't have to deal with that. lol.

Anyway, the second company answers me right away, has sent me many messages on where to go check things out. They don't do the flooring, though, but they all work with different people who do the flooring.

Third company coming Tuesday, was recommended by a bunch of old coworkers in the big city. I see a lot of good reviews and they do all kinds of remodeling and fencing/deck work.

If they're all on time and seem okay, who the heck do I pick? I know price is another thing but if they're about the same??? I apparently have crappy sense of these things since I picked some real winners for my last home water leak fix. Another issue is no one seems to want to use laminate countertops. They use some type of stone product, so if I do laminate are they going to mess it up since they don't ever work with it? I'm now leaning toward quartz.

Sorry for the long post. I hadn't intended to make it so long. Just stressed out right now. I do think I'm going to go with at least some type of green cabinet for the island, if not for the base cabinets too.

Comments (24)