SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
skeylargo

From kitchen remodel to whole downstairs remodel

margo456
6 years ago

Background info:

I wanted to remodel my kitchen years ago. I received many great suggestions and ideas and help from many people on this forum (and a ton of great suggestions from lisa_a within current kitchen footprint) none of it really “clicked”.

Until …… drumroll please …. Jillius came out with an idea about sliding the kitchen over and it finally “clicked”. That’s exactly what this house needs. I’ve also received a lot of valuable input from funkycamper and smalloldhouse_gw, rebunky, laughablemoments and probably others I don’t remember. I’ve been dreaming about my kitchen ever since but life again got in a way with another serious medical issues. All other house project have been completed, everyone is the healthiest they’ve been in 11 years, money is saved and now it’s finally time for the kitchen – YEY!

[Old thread[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/resurrecting-kitchen-project-part-ii-dsvw-vd~2929397) if you really want to read A LOT on this kitchen J

Present:

This is the current layout of the house:

Current kitchen layout - too many doors/doorways no good layout

This is more or less future layout of the house. As it is still on paper any suggestions are welcomed. The wall between Kitchen/DR and Living/Foyer is a load bearing wall. If there is a good way to incorporate supports to limit the expense it would be great.

The main thing I want to do is:

• Move the kitchen over
  • Widen the hallway. Right now only one person at the time can go through and if closet door is open no one can get through. There is a return vent in the closet but I am hoping it can be moved.
  • Change the double entry door to single since we use it right now only one anyway and when you open it, it goes past the steps and partially into FR – we all have to do a little dance and walk up a step or two to get out of the way.
  • Not sure if I want to make two small closets or maybe some sort of storage on the LR side
  • Remove hearth in FR
  • Put hardwood floor everywhere except Bath and Laundry.

Some layouts for new kitchen I came up with:

Option A

Option B:

Kitchen ideas:

• I want to keep the sink on the wall facing the deck because of better view and easier plumbing
  • If possible, I think I would like an island with some sitting. If I have to I could always use cabs with less depth to make sure there is enough space.
  • I will have to replace the window in a new kitchen so the size and location is flexible. Originally I was thinking to just reuse the window I have in current kitchen but I am sure I will get a lot of suggestions to make it a bigger window. :)

If you actually read everything above you know that I do listen to input from other's and if you were involved in previous discussion you know I can take criticism as well.

I am very excited now, please help me make it the best reality now - thank you.

Comments (15)