SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
colorfast

Did your kitchen remodel turn into a bath remodel too?

colorfast
12 years ago

Hi, we are wrapping up a kitchen remodel. Plugging away at installing the lights (electrical in proper boxes waiting for final install). Waiting on backsplash because....

We have enough granite to do both our upstairs bathroom sinks! So the question is, have you grown a project like this? Did you regret it?

We may have to scale back our vacation plans (again!) to pull this off. I am still figuring out a budget and scope.

We have the granite on hold and must decide by the end of January if we want to use it for another project. Otherwise we lose it to the granite yard.

Part of me wants to be done, yet this is a few thousand dollars worth of stone AND there is valid need for the project.

Our bathroom sinks do need replaced desperately. The plumber--whom I had work on the tub handle while here for the kitchen--said in passing that the sink's carry-away holes for extra water looked like they were near failing. He said that if we couldn't do a full remodel, we ought to replace just the sinks.

I had already done the master bathroom flooring, toilet and tiled shower about 5 years ago. Front bathroom needs new toilet and flooring as well.

Specific questions:

1. We did custom red birch cabinets in the kitchen. I am thinking of going IKEA for the bathroom cabinets. Good idea? Bad with the extra moisture in the room?

2. I want more drawers than doors in my bathrooms. Things get lost in those cabinets. So do people do drawers everywhere but the sink base?

3. For front bathroom, the tub/shower combo is a question. I would prefer not to change the tub as it is not stained and now quite functional. But, if we pull up the flooring and there is rot, does that mean a whole tub replace?

4. Also for the tub, I am thinking of replacing the shower curtain with a sliding shower door. The kids hate the curtain and like to shower in the master bath. I am hoping to change that with a door. However, I was thinking of not replacing the tub/shower because it is sturdy and unstained. If we find rotted flooring under the vinyl flooring, then we are pulling out the tub, correct? Any advice on installing a door?

I will post separately with color questions and photos of my granite and the current room.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Colorfast

Comments (4)