SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
miralina

Please help me get more sunlight into my kitchen

miralina
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

What kind of window would bring the most natural light into my kitchen? The kitchen is enclosed by a screened in porch/sunroom. Would adding a skylight(s) to the sunroom help? Would a "garden" window or bay window be better? Could we replace the sunroon's rubber roof with a glass roof of some sort, or would you tear down the sunroom altogether?

The house was also extended very awkwardly to the south, so the kitchen is far away from the dining room and doesn't get much light from that area. Eventually we will add skylights to the dining room which might help somewhat. We can't put skylights in the kitchen because a bedroom/bathrooms is right above it. Someday if we remodel those we might be able to do a sun tunnel or two.

In the old kitchen it was so dark you coudn't read without the lights on a cloudless day at noon. Now it isn't a ton better, so I planned for a larger window.

This is the new kitchen at the brightest time of the day. This is the absolute brightest it gets, and it is only this bright because the trees have lost their leaves and the sun is low in the sky. The light comes in for about 30 mins a day... not really optimal.

Here is the current kitchen window from the sunroom:

Comments (11)