SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kingsrinker

Pink bathroom yes or no?

kingsrinker
7 months ago
last modified: 7 months ago

Getting ready to build a new house and considering doing a pink bathroom similar to the ones pictured. I have a grown 20-something yo daughter and it would be her room whenever she comes to visit. I already know that "it's our house and we can do whatever we love", but how many of you would be horrified by a pink bathroom especially if down the road we decided to sell?

Comments (172)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    7 months ago

I would love it!

• Related Discussions

Crown moulding in small bathrooms? Yes or no?

Q

Comments (12)
    Wow, I would be pleasantly surprised to see that, not disappointed. I think that shows an excellent builder who has the wherewithal to give that type of attention to a small room. I have crown in two of my bathrooms (master bath not yet) and the smallest being 5x8 and we deliberately added it years after it was built. I think after it's all done you will see how moulding adds to the finished look of any room.
    ...See More

Yes, Lights on Dimmers in the Bathroom! What's Not to Understand?

Q

Comments (25)
    Our new bathroom lights are going on dimmers (sconces over vanity and one recessed can over the tub. My wife wondered if that were necessary so I reminded her of late night toilet trips and she understood the usefulness. We also put a dimmer in my 20 month old daughter's room for bedtime - we dim the light enough so one of us can still read a book to her but the light is not so bright that it keeps her awake. One word of advice: pay a bit more for dimmers that have an on/off switch so you can leave the lights on a particular setting and just turn them on and off. If you have the type that just rotates to turn off it is not as convenient.
    ...See More

Yes or NO to these sconces on either side of bathroom mirror....

Q

Comments (7)
    I think they would look great, but, because of all the warm colors in your room, I might look at an orb type finish instead of the silver. I know it would mean mixing metals - which some people are uncomfortable doing, or just don't care for the look, but I do think it would look terrific in your bathroom. Eta to add pics of what I mean using orb sconces and light with silver fixtures: one more
    ...See More

All Pink Bathroom Remodel

Q

Comments (7)
    I'll straight up admit to liking the pink bathroom fixtures you had. They've got a charm to them! That said, the bathroom now looks elegant. Agree that craigslist could be a good deal for you and someone looking for pink fixtures.
    ...See More
  • bbtrix
    7 months ago

These tough dudes have no problem wearing pink.

And neither do their fans!

Nor do the boys in my grandson’s soccer club. Marketing has an amazing effect on norms! I have a pink powder room. I love it, never tire of it, and really dont care what anyone else thinks. Go for what you want!

• HU-227031627
    7 months ago

So, an interesting question to ask is "Baby blue bathroom, yes or no?"

I'd bet dollars to donuts that there would be much less objection to that color versus Barbie doll pink.

• S M
    7 months ago

that’s true, lol

• freedomplace1
    7 months ago

Is this your space, S M ?

• Mrs Pete
    7 months ago

I like the first couple pink bathrooms in this thread; I'm not so sold on the vintage pink bathrooms. If you don't want to commit to all pink, you could go with a pink shower curtain & floor mats. Or paint. Paint is barely a commitment.

If you plan to stay in this house a while, I'd say YES, go pink. On the other hand, if you're planning to sell in the next five years or so, the decision might "cost you" in the long run.

So, an interesting question to ask is "Baby blue bathroom, yes or no?"

Not really the same thing since blue is probably the most popular color for bathrooms -- it doesn't seem to be a gender thing; I've always thought it's because blue is the color of water. Houses with blue bathrooms sell for more.

• palimpsest
    7 months ago

I don't think a pink bathroom with pink drywall only really counts as a pink bathroom. That's a black and white bathroom with wood vanity. The current paint color just happens to be pink.

• S M
    7 months ago

yeah, it’s mine. and yep, just paint. doesn’t apply to this thread and actually didn’t mean to attach that pic. my bad

• freedomplace1
    7 months ago

It’s fabulous!

And it absolutely applies to this thread, since any number of people were suggesting to just paint the walls, etc. And a lot of the people who would have a “pink bathroom breakdown” would still have to be medicated - because they would not be able to see past the pink paint!! 😂

Beautiful space.

• palimpsest
    7 months ago

There's nothing wrong with painting pink in my opinion. That wasn't a criticism of your bathroom at all. But the pink isn't a fixed element like tile or plumbing, that's all.

• S M
    7 months ago

aw thanks :)

• S M
    7 months ago

some family members were prob appalled by it when we did it… then they saw my kitchen… wa ha ha

• HU-227031627
    7 months ago

Paint can easily and cheaply be undone--big difference than tiling a bathroom in pink.

• S M
    7 months ago

if my DH wouldn’t have insisted on the tub/ surround unit in shared bath there would’ve been pink tile rather than pink paint, lol. I also would have done my primary shower in pink tile, but had mercy on him.. he’s one of the “pink makes me puke” people too… 😂

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    6 months ago

Just found this gorgeous bathroom with pink walls:

Delaplane Farmhouse · More Info

• Gloria Glide
    6 months ago

I move frequently and do at least some remodeling of every home I buy. I choose what I like and it varies with each house. As I live in a house I just get a feel for what it "wants". I do not keep a house neutral. I like exciting colors (like pink--I'm in the middle of doing my laundry room pink black and green). I'm also going to paint the guest bathroom a light shade of pink which will blend beautifully with the black pattermed rug, mirror and light fixture and the dark royal door and orange touches (like the waste basket). Really. All my houses sell fast when I'm ready to move again and for over asking price. I think many buyers like color but just don't feel comfortable making the decision. I do tend to put the color in things that are easily changeable but will go bolder with tile and flooring when it just fits the room. Enjoy your pink bathroom!

• dgalism
    6 months ago

One suggestion that i didnt see on this thread is wall paper. I was recently shopping for a wallpaper for an accent wall in my bathroom. Your second photo reminded me of my wallpaper sample. So neutral permanent fixtures, add the pink in a great wallpaper choice. Easy to change later on.

• Sue Johnson
    6 months ago

Hi kingsrinker, how far down the road are you thinking of reselling your new build? It seems like you are going to be there for a while--at least 5 years, right... I mean, why build your own house just to sell it in 5 years? Tile can be painted, just in case you have to sell in the near future.

Personally, I'd go with the first choice you posted--the theme is cohesive, the rose gold fixtures make it pop! The second choice-- no, the herringbone doesn't do it any justice--it's kind of jarring, jumbled, kind of harsh on the eyes with all the angles...a bathroom shower should be soothing on the eyes. The third choice, no... the floor tile is cool, has that 1960's retro feel, but the designer didn't follow it up with a cabinet that also evokes that time period. It makes it seem kind of "unfinished", like there's something missing.

Definitely the first choice... if it makes your daughter happy when she visits, and if you like it, go for it! Think about this--what is popular today may not be popular when you go to sell (if you ever sell) and you'll never please everyone. I think the first photo is a great design, it won't hurt resale value, and it's not horrifying at all! It is soothing, feminine and quite classy.

• Brook Gideon
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

I like pink, but it has to be the right pink. Pink is a hard color to get right, like yellow. It can be garish or gaudy or look plain dated. I have lived in many houses with pink baths, including my current 1984 master bath, which is not a pretty pink at all. I cannot wait to replace it. This bath needs serious updating despite the color, it is in rough shape. You could always condsider a white bath but a lovely accent pink wallpaper, walls, or wainscoting. Something that could easily be changed in the future. https://www.grahambrown.com/us/wallpaper/pink/bathroom/... some wallpaper inspirations

That being said, do what you want. We did renovations in a house we thought we were staying in, but sold, and the people that bought it ripped out a lot of the new stuff anyway (ughhh they ripped out my brand new soapstone counters, sigh) and didn't update the old stuff that still needed updating. There is no pleasing anyone. Do what you want.

• Paula Latta
    6 months ago

Just bought a condo with Pink Toilet, sink and tub. I hate it and will change when it is practical to do so. Don't do pink in these hard to change areas. Paint, tile, accessories - all good.

• Christine
    6 months ago

I actually love all of those bathrooms! All of them are very tastefully done and i wouldnt change a thing.

• Keen B
    6 months ago

@Paula Latta Please try to salvage those vintage pieces. Some folks love them and will pay top dollar. If you do not want to sell them somewhere, at least donate to Restore.

@Brook Gideon I totally agree, and I am a pink bathroom advocate.

• kl23
    6 months ago

Addressing the question posted by our vanished OP, I just realized that the comments stating that people bought homes with pink bathrooms they hated are proof that a pink bathroom does not stop someone from buying a home. And I don't recall reading any comments saying, "I was house hunting and saw the perfect house on the perfect yard in the best school district and close to work, but it had a pink bathroom." So I guess it's not such a big deal after all, and our OP and anyone else can make their bathroom any color they want, even the tile.

• hollywaterfall
    6 months ago

Pink bathrooms in geenral are not horrid. Everyone has their preference for things that's true. I like the pics in the OP. I think a more mauve color is better. Subtle. The pink in the shower is better than large pink subway style tile on the walls that remind me of my grandmother's bathroom. I think I would still buy a house with a bath like that, but would change it shortly after.

• Elizabeth Ann
    6 months ago

That‘s a tough one to answer. So much would depend on the shade(s) of pink and how it is handled. Some of the examples you provided, however, would be some level of negative for me in considering whether to buy a house. Maybe confine the pink to elements that can be changed without major demolition-?

• terrib962
    6 months ago

Yes, Love the tile in first photo - would love to know where to buy it! When I did my bath 4 years ago, I searched for pink tile and could not find it anywhere and had to do white tile and paint the walls pink. A new owner can easily change color, but that was not the idea - I wanted pink tile! Like in the 1950's! And even in the 1980's it was in Home Depot along with a lot of pretty colors, but no where to be found in 2019. I had found pink marble tile in 2012 at Menards and put it on the walls of a shower and it was beautiful (but the house was in bad area and had to sell). Do what YOU want and do not worry about reselling - stay in the house. . . .

• Missy Bee
    6 months ago

I love the mixed herringbone in OP and the photo with pink paint by Diana Bier!

• Andhi
    6 months ago

Pink is my least favorite colour. That said I bought my dream home, a 90’s fixer upper in a fantastic area next to a nature reserve. The floors are pink, the bathroom marble counters are pink, bathtubs are pink. 🤣. I bought it with full intentions of ripping it all out. It’s been a few years and I’m slowly changing it out. However, now that pink is back in style, I’m not in such a hurry.
    My thoughts are, if you want the pink in the shower tile, only do the walls as it can be changed out down the road if you like. Changing the shower floor is a beast of a job.

• wiseca9
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

Love photos 1 and 2. Both are beautiful and tastefully done. It would not deter me from buying your home.

• redoredone
    6 months ago

Lots of comments already, but you asked if I would be horrified. I would not want pink bathroom tile...or green, blue, yellow, black, no matter how much I love the color. Tile is long lasting and expensive to change, so I would use the color I love so much in paint and accessories.

• rancherogrl
    6 months ago

Yes to the comment above. If it's important to have pink, use it with paint and accessories, and probably white tiles. Much easier to change if desired in the future.

• Christine Botti
    6 months ago

Do whatever you like,it’s your bathroom !!!

• Ozalyn
    6 months ago

Not into the pink bathroom

• hipatty
    6 months ago

Go for it! It's your house, do what makes you happy. That said, I especially love the first photo. :o)

• Katherine Estrella
    6 months ago

So cute!!!

• Jacki Levine
    6 months ago

Funny you should ask because we are retiring our bathroom and as I was looking at some online galleries I saw a few with pink tile. My reaction was a big no — tile is too expensive to chance a color you or your potential down the road buyer may get tired of or just not like. I agree with the others that said go for something more neutral and use the pink as much as you want on paint and accessories.

• HU-529335770
    6 months ago

I love it

• Lise MacLeod
    6 months ago

I grew up with a pink bedroom, bathroom and kitchen. We loved it. But with a lot of home projects to do, I watch many house hunting and remodeling TV shows. The only thing as universal as the scorn home shoppers heap on white kitchen appliances is the disdain they have for almost any unusual color. So I would definitely stay away from pink or any other personal color in tile, which is expensive to change at resale. Of course you should live with the paint color you love. It can be changed if the house needs to be sold.

• Dixie
    6 months ago

Okay… yeah… I love it..l much!

• Muriel Vasconcellos
    6 months ago

No. It's not with the negative feedback.

• kingsrinker
    Original Author
    6 months ago

I certainly never expected this number of comments when posing this almost two weeks ago! As empty nesters, I considered our children that would be visiting and using those bathrooms. My daughter and I both love something a little out of the box especially considering we have other bathrooms that can be more neutral. As far as selling it later, we have moved around quite a bit in the last few years bc of my husband's job and while we don't have plans to sell per se, you never know what the future holds. We're hoping this one could be the last one we build. We're still in planning stage and haven't begun picking out finishes, but I'll be sure and post again with an update! Thanks to all!

• lharpie
    6 months ago

Ha! pink definitely evokes strong feelings! i just painted a bathroom F&B settings plaster and i love it! i am not normally a pink person. my husband decidedly does not love it but will be toolazy to repaint it (i usually do the painting). at any rate i’d take tasteful pink over grey any day… i’d do what you love.

• Jennifer Hogan
    6 months ago

For those of us who love pink and might want pink art I just saw that one of my favorite (unusual) artists had this in his collection of new art:

https://psingerart.com/product/familiar-comfort/

• S M
    6 months ago

Love his work, right up my alley 😊. thanks for the link!

• Missy Bee
    6 months ago

I seem to remember design advice in the past saying was a very good color for bathrooms because it puts everyone in the room in a good light…more flattering, and easier to deal with your morning or late night reflection.

• Missy Bee
    6 months ago

……saying pink was a very good color…..

• Ozalyn
    6 months ago

Pink is one of my favorite colors! I wouldn’t go as far as using it for tile!

• S M
    6 months ago

@Missy Bee, that’s what i told DH when I chose pink for the secondary bathroom !😂

• Judy Bath
    6 months ago

Of course a pink bathroom! In one of the houses I have lived in I did the hall full bath pink tile, pink tub and pink toilet. Soft pink. I loved it and so did the people that bought it.