SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bbstxx

Brisket.

bbstx
7 months ago
last modified: 7 months ago

DD and DSIL bought half a cow last year. They are down to the last of it and need to clean out the freezer for the half cow they just bought.

The two biggest chunks of meat are briskets. One is square shaped and one is a rough triangle. The processor only labeled them brisket, so I don’t know if one is a flat and one a point or if the shape is coincidental.

I think DSIL is going to smoke one on his Big Green Egg. The other one, I’m going to cook. I’ve never cooked a brisket before. I have many cooking methods available to me. I can cook it sous vide or in a crockpot or in the oven. Assuming the triangular piece is actually a point and the rectangular piece is a flat, which piece should DSIL cook on the BGE?

I have several recipes I’ve collected from various places, but I’m not wed to any of them. One cooks the brisket seasoned with Montreal seasoning, onions, and garlic sealed in foil at 350 for 3-4 hours. Another cooks with soy sauce, consomme, and water at 300 for 5 hours (uncovered for the first 3 hours; covered for the last 2 hours). Then there is Ina Garten’s recipe, which sounds more pot-roasty to me.

Or this Ina recipe, which is less pot-roasty. How do you cook brisket? Which cooking method would you use?

Comments (26)