SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jehanne_hansen

true value of sewing garments

claudia valentine
8 months ago

Among people who sew their own clohtes there is often heard that the garments are better made and going to last longer, be of better quality, and more economical even if you pay a lot for the fabric.

While there is some truth in that, it is not universal and is not the whole truth.

I gave some serious thought to this the other day as I was cutting up a not so old knit top that I had sewn some time ago, but not ages ago. As I cut it apart to render it into a rag project, I marveled at the detail and quality that I had put into the construction. It was darned near perfect! The knit fabric was a run of the mill one from Joanns.

Just the fact that I had put such fine work into it did not make it last longer or add more value to it than one that I could have bought. It either got stained, pilled up and/or got quickly outdated, or all of those things, and I put it on one day to do some painting and that was the end of it's usefull life. It had already pilled and faded and the knit fabric was suffering .

Things happen to clothes as we wear them and it does not matter where they came from or what was paid for them.....life happens.

This top probably cost me more than it would to buy one, it looked as if it were factory made, as I made complete use of my serger, and I spend time and resources creating it, buying the pattern and all of the things associated with sewing it. The real truth is that it was not any more valuable or of any better quality or design or style than a factory make one.

I do love many of the things that I have sewn in my life, and that is many. And, I am so slap happy that I can sew and sew my own pants, especially. But, I have decided that I will not sew anything that is not distinctly different from what can be bought. Why should I imitate fast fashion or factory made? Why would it be a compliment when someone remarks that it looks like I bought it?

I want clothes that suit a relaxed life and one that finds me often doing something that is real and not just to wear for when I get dressed. I want my clothes to suit my casual and often messy life. I dont want to pay upwards and over $50 just for the fabric for a pair of pants or shirt or casual dress. And, I sure dont want to sew things that look like I could have purchased them.

I feel the same way about knitting. If I am going to knit a hat , for instance, I want that hat to be something that could not be bought in a store and it wont be acrylic.

My point is that it is not always the full truth that something is better because we made it. One hears the same thing about knitted items and the same lack of truth to it.

But sometimes I wonder about this or that item that I sewed years ago and had been gone for years and I wonder if someone somewhere is still wearing it. There again, just because I sewed them did not mean the I didnt outgrow them or they got to dated or stained or whatever. They did not last as functioning garments any longer that if I had bought them, due to those factors . A nice white shirt that you paid good money to sew or buy has an equal change of getting a mustard stain or a tear or being out grown.

So I have learned to take a fresh and more truthful perspective as to what I sew and why. Like other aspects of my life, I am decluttering these things from my life as well as the material excess. I am focusing on less and on more use and enjoyment from what I do, what I need and what I want.

One thing that I dont want anymore is for someone to tell me that it has value because it looks as if I bought it.

I want someone to say, "Wow. I love your pants! Where did you get them? I want some like that!".

Cutting up that knit top really brought this into perspective for me. What a lot of work and effort for something that really held not more value than one from the store! I did too much of this in the past and it ends here.

There are more than material goods to declutter from our lives. Unreal expectations and untruths are disposable and best gotten rid of. Out they go!

Comments (17)