SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carrie_ashendel

Convert dining room to study and move dining to living room or no?

Carrie Ashendel
7 months ago
last modified: 7 months ago

We currently live in a small but expensively located 2/1 with a nice, closed layout that feels fairly open. It has a large living room opening into the dining room, both of which have their own door to the kitchen (kind of in a triangle). There's also a big sliding glass door in the dining room that helps make the living room and house feel open to the backyard, which is the gem of the property. The living room is so big that it feels dark as you move toward the back end of it, so we've kept the sitting area near the window and used the back as an office/study/homeschool space, and we'd also like to add a half bath there, as well as a fireplace to solidify the conversation space near the window.

My question is, would swapping the dining room with the office space and then closing the office space off from the kitchen (and converting the window in the kitchen to a door), reduce the value of the home. It would technically add a bedroom, which would be useful to us (the kids are asking for their own room or at least their own project room, but it would be staged as the office/homeschool room when we sell). It just feels like it might be at the expense of the nature of the home. We are likely wanting to sell the house in the relatively near future but also wanting to make it so our remodeling efforts would work for us if things do turn out for us in this location, but we think the chances of that are somewhat low, so the remodeling would, ideally, focus on increasing the value of the home.

Alternatively, would it be entirely weird to keep the pocket door to the kitchen from what would be the new office (the current dining room)? It's not properly centered or off-centered, so it would bother me I think, but it is a cool pocket door. Would it count as an extra bedroom/office then? I mean, right now, there's technically no reason I'm aware of that the dining room doesn't count as a bedroom (it has a closet), other than that there is no other clearly designated dining space, although with double doors to the living room and backyard and the pocket door to the kitchen and the door to the closet, there's not much solid wall space for a bed, so if we kept the pocket door, we'd still have that situation (although it would work fine for an office with a desk and chairs in the middle).

Comments (2)