SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_437841133

Someone help me with upper cabinet size!

Hello Bello
7 months ago

I am 100% making this more complicated then it has to be. As an avoid over thinker, I stayed up too late thinking about this last night. I am trying to finalize our floor plan and need to decide on our kitchen window size. I want as much natural light as possible. Knowing nothing about cabinet sizes, I googled standard upper widths and saw 36” is typical so I made our window a 2’4” triple accounting for 6’ of space on a 14’ wall. That leaves room for 4” trim on each side and then 36” upper cabinets on each side of the window above the sink with a couple of inches to spare. It occurred to me to measure our current kitchen cabinets which are closer to 40” wide and now I’m thinking 36” may be too narrow since I won’t have many uppers in this kitchen design and I should do a 42” cabinet. I guess my question is if you have 36” wide cabinets are you happy with them? Would you just do a trim less window in this space only while the rest of the house is trimmed to get the largest cabinet possible or would you lose 12” of window size for a full 42” cabinet and window trim?
We have not committed to a builder yet but I have spoken to one and kept him in the loop on emails with our drafter. I don’t want to absolutely bombard him with questions when we haven’t even signed a contract as I am just currently trying to get the custom plan perfected for a true bid. Is it reasonable to account for 6’ of window space on the plan but then meet with a kitchen designer to see cabinets before ordering windows and then could drop to 5’ of windows if needed? We do not have to have stamped plans in my town so not worried about the engineering aspect of changing a window size in this case.

Comments (13)