SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
1188artista

How to avoid glare from eyeball light near glass/mirror/TV?

1188artista
8 months ago

Living room is 12 feet wide. On one side, a sofa and coffee table; above the coffee table, a pair of small skylights with a chandelier between, 58 inches from the wall. On the other side, three 14-inch-deep wall cabinets about 50 inches high, and above them: artwork and a mirror or TV. Traffic through room goes past artwork/mirror/TV wall. (Traffic is light, just me living here and visitors.)

Question 1. The sofa is 39 inches deep. How far to position 4-inch recessed lights from the wall?

Question 2. I would like to install three 4-inch "eyeball" lights near the second wall. How do I position them to avoid glare on the glass surfaces as seen from the sofa across the room? Vague memories from geometry class are telling me that if the lights are closer to the wall, the angle of the reflection will also be more acute and will not cause glare across the room—is this correct, even if I aim the lights to wash the wall?

Maybe aim two of the lights to wash the artwork but aim the mirror/TV light downward to the traffic path?

Comment