SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19755260

OT, but can someone help me get a peony for my Aunt Helen?

User
8 months ago

My Aunt Helen, who turns 90 at the end of the month, recently broke her hip. She's mostly recovered now, and doing great (she's an amazing amazing lady). She is an incredible gardener, but while she was unable to get outside, her daughter, my cousin, was doing some weeding for her. My cousin is also amazing, but she is not a gardener, and she accidentally pulled up and discarded a peony. We are having a belated birthday celebration for my aunt in October, and I'd LOVE to be able to bring her a peony to replace the one she lost. My dream would be a peony that would bloom next spring. However, my experience with peonies is that they never bloom the spring after they are planted. This is the case when buying them from reputable sources, or when divinding my own plants, or when simply moving my own plants. I think they just don't much like being moved. Does anybody know of a way I could get a peony for my aunt that would have a chance of blooming in the spring? My hunch is that this is not doable, but I know there are some expert peony growers here on the rose forum, so any advice would be great! If bloom next spring is not possible, I suppose I'll just have to accept that and either dig or buy one. But my aunt IS 90, and though I expect her to have many, many more years, still, a little instant gratification seems in order. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!