SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_252951189

Door to Separate Living and Dining Room

9 months ago

Hi,

I'm looking for ideas to put a door / wall system in place that I can use to separate two adjacent rooms. There is a current opening ~130" wide x 96" high. I want to be able to keep the space open most of the time, but in certain cases it would be good to close off the living from the dining. I assume given the width we're looking at 4 separate panels.

The isn't a lot of depth between the rooms, so swinging doors that wide won't work. Further, having 2 fixed panels out the outside of the center doors is undesirable because we want to keep it open most of the time. The style of the unit is an updated pre-war NYC apartment (beamed ceilings, herringbone wood floors etc.); I'd like to keep a similar aesthetic. I also do not want to put a track into the floor if possible, though pins to hold in place certain panels would be OK. I also want to avoid stacking doors on the dining room side of the room, since that will inhibit flow of traffic (kitchen to the left if you're facing the fireplace in the photos below). The appears to be space to stack them in the living room side, though we have radiators on the side with windows that we need to keep. There is some space to the left of the smoke detector in the first pic that is basically "dead space" right now. I've thought about a system like this , but not sure if they'll keep the style i want, or if its feasible for my project. I've also through about pockets, but with the radiators on the window side, there might not be enough thickness in the wall, nor is there enough width on either side to fully house the doors from what I can tell.

Does any one have any suggestions? I've attached a few photos, pardon the mess :)

My Project · More Info

My Project · More Info

Comments (10)