SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

My first attempt at pruning a neglected rambler.

9 months ago

About 10-15 years ago we had to take down a huge 80ft tall Scarlet Oak tree on our side lot line, which had blocked the view of our neighbor's house. So, we had the stump left about 5 ft high, and added a "moon gate arbor" from Kinsman, and my DH made a raised bed around the stump. We planted a rooted cutting of a very old 'Apple Blossom' rambler which has been growing in a different place in our garden for only the Lord knows how long. (It grows up an old flowering crab apple tree, and seems to be happy). The Apple Blossom rose grew all over the arbor, and blocked the sight of the house next door, and was lovely every Spring, and green the rest of the year.

I confess that we have not done anything for it except give it water in our totally rainless Summer and some food once a year since we planted it. Two weeks ago, after some hot weather (for here - high temp 85 degrees F) I suddenly noticed that about half of the canes were suddenly sporting masses of dead leaves. So, I watered it a lot in case that was the problem, and looked up ramblers, to find that I was supposed to have pruned it annually. Oops. I found the advice below about renovating overgrown ramblers from the Royal Horticultural Society. Other than ignoring the timing of pruning & feeding to take into account what I know works here (Fall into early Winter is a second, or you could say, a first, Spring here, when all new plantings are done, and the rains return after a normal 6 month absolute drought, and the fruit trees start blooming, etc.) my DH and I have tried to follow these recommendations. Since we had no idea what we were doing, it took us 3 days of working about 2 hours at a time (to avoid the heat after about 10AM) to finish.

Below, in order, are photos of AB in the Spring of 2023 - when we actually got around to dealing with it, it was amazing how long and complicated the canes and their offshoots had gotten, and how far they had penetrated into the nearby foliage of other plants. Then is a photo of it after we were finished pruning out the old canes, and tying up the ones we left. The last ones are of the base of the rose - my DH did a good job IMO of removing the stumps from the base of the rose.

Well, Houzz is being obnoxious about letting me post photos, so I am going to try and put them in a Comment.

Jackie

Comments (11)